Spyder Garage

Exclamation My first thought of my new 2018 RT Limited

First off, I would like to say that the bike is fun to ride. It is a very comfortable ride. Easy to handle compared to to my previous bike(Harley Triglide).

There a few things I think Can-Am should have thought thru was the BRP Connect. When i go to plug my phone in with BRP Connect app open, it will connect and work ok for awhile. You can't stream music without it skipping in the song like a bad scratched CD. When i start the GPS app, it works good if you don't switch from it to something else while it's running. I did a 750 mile trip with my wife and when i switched from GPS to radio, that half of the screen blacked out. I couldn't go back to my home screen or anything. I could even bring back up my RPM gage. I had to pull over and turn the bike off and let it reset to get it back working. It would also would mess with the screen on the left that has the speed odometer. When i try and stream the FM radio thru my bluetooth headset, i get a message saying: FM and AUX in not available to stream in BT headset. I sent i back to my dealer and a BRP rep showed up and said,. "that they are working to solve that issue." When my GPS is up and running on the bike, it won't even stream the directions thru my Bluetooth Headset.

I love the bike, and happy with the ride, but just to many issues with the BRP Connect. If i would have known that, I would have went with 2017 model. I would stream the radio and other things thru the bluetooth with the dongle. I guess i am going to have to by a stand alone GPS unit and mount to it i guess

But i am looking forward to doing more trips with my new Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear about the digital difficulties...

... that's got to be a pain. (Thanks for making me feel a bit better about going for the 2017 instead of the 2018, though.. )

Hopefully they'll get the bugs squashed quickly.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the evaluation on your new 2018.

The "new" system seems to come to the forefront with the "bugs" in it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Melissa View Post
    First off, I would like to say that the bike is fun to ride. It is a very comfortable ride. Easy to handle compared to to my previous bike(Harley Triglide).

There a few things I think Can-Am should have thought thru was the BRP Connect. When i go to plug my phone in with BRP Connect app open, it will connect and work ok for awhile. You can't stream music without it skipping in the song like a bad scratched CD. When i start the GPS app, it works good if you don't switch from it to something else while it's running. I did a 750 mile trip with my wife and when i switched from GPS to radio, that half of the screen blacked out. I couldn't go back to my home screen or anything. I could even bring back up my RPM gage. I had to pull over and turn the bike off and let it reset to get it back working. It would also would mess with the screen on the left that has the speed odometer. When i try and stream the FM radio thru my bluetooth headset, i get a message saying: FM and AUX in not available to stream in BT headset. I sent i back to my dealer and a BRP rep showed up and said,. "that they are working to solve that issue." When my GPS is up and running on the bike, it won't even stream the directions thru my Bluetooth Headset.

I love the bike, and happy with the ride, but just to many issues with the BRP Connect. If i would have known that, I would have went with 2017 model. I would stream the radio and other things thru the bluetooth with the dongle. I guess i am going to have to by a stand alone GPS unit and mount to it i guess

But i am looking forward to doing more trips with my new Spyder
    I think a lot of folks feel like you do if I had known what a pain BRP connect was, I would have saved the money and bought a 2017 model!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I think a lot of folks feel like you do if I had known what a pain BRP connect was, I would have saved the money and bought a 2017 model!
    When did you upgrade? and to what??

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Yes, your sig still says White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. and 2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yes, your sig still says White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. and 2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl.
    I've ridden with him at the Norcal rally, he had the red one then

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m learning how it works every time I ride. I have the phone mounted to the dash so I can access it easier. I notice that when I change screens the phone flashes the new app then goes black again. I need to activate Rever first otherwise BRP Connect will crash when I open Rever on the bike. I mute the Genius Maps so I can continue to listen to music. If not muted, the first time it gives me a direction the music stops and I have to shut the bike off to reset. FOBO works but the display is squished. Would love to have SiriusXM. Living in the SF Bay Area I would love to have Waze.

Basically play with it and you will learn it. Hopefully the update will fix a few things.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ode to BRP disConnect

I have to agree that BRP Connect is a half finished proprietary system that was not ready for prime time.

GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford and others ALL tried and have mostly failed to build their own proprietary mobil interfaces. Why does BRP think they have the programming prowess to succeed where companies with entertainment system budgets bigger than the entirety of BRP have given up and gone with the mainstream Android Auto and Apple Car Play systems? BRP is nieve and vastly under estimates the task they have set off to do. Not only does the system not work, they do not even understand the immensity of the task ahead to get it working and KEEP it working.

BRP Connect is destined to fail in the market because they simply will NEVER be able to fix enough of the systems and keep them working as the rest of the industry they cannot control moves on and continues to evolve....without them.

Buy a 2018 model for what it can do TODAY. That is to say the speedo and instruments work fine. The radio and music player work fine on the bikes speakers. Forget BRP Connect and use a GPS and phone like you have for years on Spyders.

They sooner they abandon BRP Connect and go with one of the mainstream mobil OSs, the sooner the bikes will have the connectivity they desire. Not before.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    When did you upgrade? and to what??
    Sorry for the confusion, I should have used "" on that. I have had an 18 in the garage this year but it was a loaner. My wife is in love with her 13 and even if we do upgrade, we will still have "Buster" in the Garage! I just have not heard too many 18 owners jumping up and down about the new BRP connect. If anyone can figure it out Flamewinger will!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the confusion, I should have used "" on that. I have had an 18 in the garage this year but it was a loaner. My wife is in love with her 13 and even if we do upgrade, we will still have "Buster" in the Garage! I just have not heard too many 18 owners jumping up and down about the new BRP connect. If anyone can figure it out Flamewinger will!

Well that clears it up.......

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

😄
    Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Well that clears it up.......
    Got your message Ray! Looking into it again!

Spyder Garage

Default My first thought of my new 2018 RT Limited(Cont)

I hope to hear something back from BRP soon. I am planning a rally trip in June for 3 weeks. I would like to see some of the issues resolved.

Spyder Garage

��
    Got your message Ray! Looking into it again!
    Thanks Larry

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

That's unfortunate to hear but I'm not super surprised either. Vehicle infotainment systems are usually way behind the tech curve. Going proprietary never helps either, which they pretty much all do. It also irks me that in the case of cars/trucks, you pay a big premium, a couple thousand in many cases, for the high spec system with navigation. Then a couple years later you start seeing that nav system and thinking that's terrible compared to what you have on your phone.

It's interesting to see that after so many years of trying to do their own thing, auto makers are now basically throwing in the towel and including Apple Car Play and Android Auto and saying "Fine, we give up, just use our screen to hook your phone up to." I think it's the right idea as phones/tablets always have the latest tech and apps in them. With a vehicle system, you're locked into the hardware (there's no way to pull out the system brain to upgrade it with more processing power and capabilities), the apps are always limited, and after a short time development grinds to a near halt as all their engineering resources are reallocated to whatever new platform they're developing and launching.

I think it would be cool if BRP did something similar and included Apple Car Play and Android Auto in the Connect system.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

But you and those first buyers of the 2018's are the test bunnies for this untested new system. I say untested as it has not been used by Joe public and that is where the true test lies. They will get it fixed but it is a pain in the...... Love the old 2012 RS manual bare bones spyder....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It's interesting to see that after so many years of trying to do their own thing, auto makers are now basically throwing in the towel and including Apple Car Play and Android Auto and saying "Fine, we give up, just use our screen to hook your phone up to."
    I have a cell phone, not a smart phone. Given the privacy risks associated with these gadgets (i.e., the software manufacturers scraping all your personal info off the device), I won't be in a hurry to upgrade my phone.

And if I read some discussion in other threads correctly, I can't make use of the 2018's GPS, because it actually relies on your smart phone's GPS. Is that correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I have a cell phone, not a smart phone. Given the privacy risks associated with these gadgets (i.e., the software manufacturers scraping all your personal info off the device), I won't be in a hurry to upgrade my phone.

And if I read some discussion in other threads correctly, I can't make use of the 2018's GPS, because it actually relies on your smart phone's GPS. Is that correct?
    You are correct. The GPS runs on your smart phone and displays on the cluster. At least its supposed to. The 2018s are far better off using a Garmin in a mount and forgetting the BRP Connect mess.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Melissa View Post
    I hope to hear something back from BRP soon. I am planning a rally trip in June for 3 weeks. I would like to see some of the issues resolved.
    Hi Jim&Melissa,

We'd love to look into this for you, please message us with your case # if you were provided one, otherwise your telephone, email and VIN.

Our email is: brp.care@brp.com

Best,

Karine BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Default Case#

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Jim&Melissa,

We'd love to look into this for you, please message us with your case # if you were provided one, otherwise your telephone, email and VIN.

Our email is: brp.care@brp.com

Best,

Karine BRPcare
    I emailed you my case#. Hopefully you can find something out

Spyder Garage

Glad BRP is monitoring this site from time to time.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You are correct. The GPS runs on your smart phone and displays on the cluster. At least its supposed to. The 2018s are far better off using a Garmin in a mount and forgetting the BRP Connect mess.
    So, to use GPS on a new Spyder, I have to buy a smart phone ($$$), then sign up for some sort of monthly data plan (more $$$). Then I pay by the month for as long as I own the Spyder (even more $$$).

This is great (not!). BRP, in it's pursuit of keeping the cost down, simply offloaded the cost of a GPS onto me. Moreover, it's not a one-time purchase, but a continuing expense for as long as I own the bike.

This is somehow cost-effective in BRP's calculus? It's cheaper in the long run to install an aftermarket GPS. What were they thinking? This makes even less sense than putting a power outlet in the frunk.

One less reason to move up to a new bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But you and those first buyers of the 2018's are the test bunnies for this untested new system. I say untested as it has not been used by Joe public and that is where the true test lies. They will get it fixed but it is a pain in the...... Love the old 2012 RS manual bare bones spyder....
    Me too. Of course mine is a 08. My Sena has not failed me yet.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    So, to use GPS on a new Spyder, I have to buy a smart phone ($$$), then sign up for some sort of monthly data plan (more $$$). Then I pay by the month for as long as I own the Spyder (even more $$$).
    Actually, no monthly data plan is required for the navigation functionality: the software works offline (you just download the maps for your region). You would need a data plan only if you utilize the live traffic monitoring, which can reroute you based on traffic conditions.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Spyder Garage

I fixed mine, i installed my zumo 550 . I have it on auxiliary ,does not look like i can have it with the music and also have mute when the gps speaks . I needs Bluetooth head sets but running out of money.
    2018 RTL , dark blue