Spyder Garage

Smile new lover of spyders with a few questions

Hello spyderlovers my name is Chris Petty well Ive been on bikes since i was 7 im now 52 and have now been on a spyder for about 5 months and love the hell out of it i live in north east AR and from what the dmv in mountain home says im the only holder of a motorcycle only license in baxter county and im proud not to have driven a car since 1985 i have a 2010 spyder RS i found you all from watching a video on utube from lamonster garage read some threads on tires and just had the rear wheel changed to a ultimax from a bald kenda rides better and im happy now for the questions when the guys changed the tire they said the bearings where starting to stiffen and i should start looking to have them changed they are a motorcycle atv shop they will do the work but i need to get the parts question 1 where is a good place to get parts like bearings and what size question 2 just had the oil changed had to go online to get brp oil is there a good full synthetic that can replace it question 3 i would like to get a rear trunk for more storage do i need to get a different rear fender one with a luggage rack or just have a rack added to the fender on it the bike i got is just stock and i really want to add to her i wish i could upload pictures but i dont have that tech yet like i said befor ive been no cars since 85 ive ridden every thing from 49 cc scooters to a HD Heritage in2016 the rear axle on my sportster trike broke at 55 mph and i was catapulted into the dirt at about 40 mph broke my elbow 3 rids and my pelvis heeled up bought a heritage with the insurance but found that with my pelvis and elbow i couldn't hold it up at a stand still fell over and broke the ball of my shoulder some biker friends of mine found me the spyder and so i sold my heritage for the spyder and love it question 4 can a spyder be an only vehicle thank y7ou for your time Chris

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde. We may become neighbors in the near future.

Mountain Home area is one of two on my "house hunting" list.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default welcome

WELCOME TO THE PARTY......
    ENJOY & RIDE SAFELY....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder as your only vehicle?

I'm too much of a newbie (and not mech-savvy enough) to answer your first 3 questions, but I'll respond with a qualified "yes" to your question 4. Know your area well -- spent two years in Little Rock and a fair amount of that time in/around Norfork Lake. I use my Spyder to commute to/from work, and run errands with it fairly regularly as well as just-for-fun rydes. The hesitations:

1) Your winter weather -- I'm about 500 miles south of you, so I don't have to contend with the ice and snow you get up there occasionally. As long as you can either hunker down or grin and bear it, a lot of time those ice storms are just Mother Nature's way of saying "Stay off the roads."

2) Carrying capacity -- sounds like you're trying to address that, but even with an RT, I've had a couple of occasions where what I wanted to carry and what I *could* carry were two different things. If you can carry your usual grocery load with it, .
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Welcome to SL and kudo's to your perseverance after your previous mc injuries. The Spyder should do you well.
    I get my oil filter/kit from SL sponsor BajaRon, great prices! Oil is now full Synthetic, proper ratings either from Amazon or Wal-Mart even, (though a local Amsoil dealer to you might have what you need even).
    I've had my '13's bearings replaced, though I had Pit Bull Powersports in Springfield do that. CheapCycleParts.com carries most of what you might need, there are several other online Can-AM Spyder parts retailers, they have a select parts by year and model so you get the proper ones.
    I live in MN and see Spyders on the road all winter long but not when there's snow/ice on the roads.
    If you lived with 2 wheels in the past, three will only give you more stability... Enjoy.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

so far thanks guys as for winter riding been doing it for years if there is ice on the roads i get snow days i keep about a week of vacation time saved for that every year just in case i just love riding never could get into driving cars strange since my last name is Petty

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

& plenty of roads to enjoy any number of ways in your area, follow one on over to Spyderpops 273 REPOP PLACE, PEARCY, AR 71964
    http://www.spyderpops.com/ your sure to meet other & great people, Harvey will be able to answer your questions & maybe more. The 1 question I can answer confidently is the rear storage top case will fit your bike & can be quite pricy. BRP wants you to buy,buy,buy, literally:
    buy a sports rack 219400428$434.
    Buy back rest #219400350$649
    buy top case219400476 $499
    the top case will not mount without the other two. Prices from 2015 catalog I have around
    the saddle bags are great help if is only ride
    R35 saddle bag kit :
    part# 219400351 black
    $1099.99 & atleast it offers color match panels (top case does not)
    color panel pairs $129.99

I happen to have a new unused topcase ,willing to negotiate , but I do need keep the sport rack. Pm me
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-01-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: part#

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Welcome from the Virginia side of things.....
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Default Parts...

As for the parts... cheapcycleparts.com is a good place to get OEM parts for your spyder and chaeaper than dealer. BajaRon can supply you with oil, filters, plugs and plug wires as well as brakes and the swaybar we all go for. The rack and backrest you can find on ebay and amazon but may have to color match it. Our sponsors have most of what you want in the after market stuff...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chrispetty1 View Post
    Hello spyderlovers my name is Chris Petty well Ive been on bikes since i was 7 im now 52 and have now been on a spyder for about 5 months and love the hell out of it i live in north east AR and from what the dmv in mountain home says im the only holder of a motorcycle only license in baxter county and im proud not to have driven a car since 1985 i have a 2010 spyder RS i found you all from watching a video on utube from lamonster garage read some threads on tires and just had the rear wheel changed to a ultimax from a bald kenda rides better and im happy now for the questions when the guys changed the tire they said the bearings where starting to stiffen and i should start looking to have them changed they are a motorcycle atv shop they will do the work but i need to get the parts question 1 where is a good place to get parts like bearings and what size question 2 just had the oil changed had to go online to get brp oil is there a good full synthetic that can replace it question 3 i would like to get a rear trunk for more storage do i need to get a different rear fender one with a luggage rack or just have a rack added to the fender on it the bike i got is just stock and i really want to add to her i wish i could upload pictures but i dont have that tech yet like i said befor ive been no cars since 85 ive ridden every thing from 49 cc scooters to a HD Heritage in2016 the rear axle on my sportster trike broke at 55 mph and i was catapulted into the dirt at about 40 mph broke my elbow 3 rids and my pelvis heeled up bought a heritage with the insurance but found that with my pelvis and elbow i couldn't hold it up at a stand still fell over and broke the ball of my shoulder some biker friends of mine found me the spyder and so i sold my heritage for the spyder and love it question 4 can a spyder be an only vehicle thank y7ou for your time Chris

1) Cheap Cycle Parts.register,it is free and then you can see the discount.
    2)Filters from BajaRon one of the sponsors here. Buy filters from him. I use Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 full synthetic. It is a great oil and wont hurt wet clutches. Also cheap and available at Walmart. I also use valvoline T4 10w40 Also a full synthetic and a great oil and also cheap. Excellent for wet clutches.
    3) can't help you here. Google is your friend.
    4) Yes your Spyder can be a daily driver and you can haul most of what you need. If you need more haulage get a trailer to pull with it. Or you may want an old cheap truck to haul bigger stuff.

Posting pictures.Have them loaded to your computer. Open a message window. There are 3 lines in the upper lefthand corner. The second to the last little square in the top line is a paper clip. Click on that and it will guide your into loading a picture.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & plenty of roads to enjoy any number of ways in your area, follow one on over to Spyderpops 273 REPOP PLACE, PEARCY, AR 71964
    http://www.spyderpops.com/ your sure to meet other & great people, Harvey will be able to answer your questions & maybe more. The 1 question I can answer confidently is the rear storage top case will fit your bike & can be quite pricy. BRP wants you to buy,buy,buy, literally:
    buy a sports rack 219400428$434.
    Buy back rest #219400350$649
    buy top case219400476 $499
    the top case will not mount without the other two. Prices from 2015 catalog I have around
    the saddle bags are great help if is only ride
    R35 saddle bag kit :
    part# 219400351 black
    $1099.99 & atleast it offers color match panels (top case does not)
    color panel pairs $129.99

I happen to have a new unused topcase ,willing to negotiate , but I do need keep the sport rack. Pm me
    quoting myself self rather than just edit but almost forgot using a sissybar bag can be quite useful with stock tail cap. I found good one from rivico & use a bicycle cable lock to secure it to my passenger grab bars, usually for trips but does work well, even better with my Smoothspyder dual mode backrest. Others have you on right track for parts & oil hope to see you round some time

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Owner

Welcome All very helpful Options.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Daily driver

For a daily driver instead of adding the expensive BRP bags and things you might want to entertain getting a trailer of some sort to pull behind the Spyder.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue