Spyder Garage

Default New to the world of Spyders..

I've been riding bikes for 55+ years and just sold my Harley due to the fact it just wasn't comfortable safety wise anymore. In the past I rode as a passenger on a ladies 2011 Spyder as a passenger and was impressed with the ride and handling. The only part of the bike I didn't care for was the look of the Tour Pak. I will admit I liked the comfort but having a easy chair on the back seemed to not fit a motorcycle ( I know the previous will draw some negativity). I have been doing some shopping and yesterday I sat on a 2015 RS and noticed something that I have seen on other posts about the difficulty for an "older" getting on the bike. I'm sure I could get used to it and once on felt like I was sitting on something that would be a blast riding. The bike I am looking at has floor boards which I like and a back rest for a passenger. some of the things I noticed on the 2011 were -
    Tire life and expense
    Difficulty doing a service because of the plastic panels
    Squirrely handling in cross winds
    Fuel mileage
    I've attached a pic of the bike I was on and would appreciate any feedback..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That's not an RS; that's an F3
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default NOT AN RS

The Spyder in the photo is an F3 and is not a 2011 model. The F3 was introduced in 2015.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Regardless of what model you eventually decide on (and you will) If YOU enjoy the Spyder, congratulations! There's several different models and accessories for each that make it as individual as you are. If you like the look, fit, and function it was made for you. Ride more!
    I have the RT with all that extra panels and it's really not hard servicing it yourself. I've done more on my Spyder than I did most other 2 wheel cycles.
    Upgrading the stock rear Kenda's to a decent tire (there are many) will give you much longer tire life and better ride.
    Upgrading to the Baja Ron Anti-sway bar and the handling issues disappear.
    I've got the older 998 V-twin and my fuel mileage is about 150 miles solo, I've got 178 out of a tank, but it was dry. The newer 1330's get much farther.
    If you do look at a F3, they're much more adjustable with the U-Fit system than many rides.
    Once you find your fit, you'll be surprised at how often and far you'll want to ride it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Getting there....

There are only two styles left in the line up to date. The RT (Full bagger faring etc) and the F3 more of a cruiser. Now like all they were built to reach as many as possible and therefore not perfect to your liking but there are vendors here that will sell you what you need to make it perfect for you. You will find the three main catagories of safety, comfort, handling and then of course the bling...have fun get yours to be yours....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

to the party. They got you covered on the "model" stuff.

Getting on an off: You will figure out what works best for you. I own RT's. When I board, I do it from the "left" side. Left foot goes on the passenger floorboard and I lift my leg carefully over the saddlebags. When I had hip issues, I did the same, but grabbed the bad right leg by the pants cuff and lifted it over the seat from the front.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    The Spyder in the photo is an F3 and is not a 2011 model. The F3 was introduced in 2015.
    The advantage of the F3 is that it has the newer 1330 triple engine and six speed gearbox introduced to the RT in 2014.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Correct Model

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    The advantage of the F3 is that it has the newer 1330 triple engine and six speed gearbox introduced to the RT in 2014.
    I stand corrected and yes it is a 2015 F3 S6...to many bikes in the last week or so and I appreciate the input from others.. Thx!