Spyder Garage

Default Can I shift a 2014 RSS manual without using the clutch?

This might be a dumb question but i am picking up spyder tomorrow and its a manual shift. Now someone said you shift without the clutch. I only test drove it in the parking lot because i didn't have my motorcycle insurance. I have only driven the se5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    This might be a dumb question but i am picking up spyder tomorrow and its a manual shift. Now someone said you shift without the clutch. I only test drove it in the parking lot because i didn't have my motorcycle insurance. I have only driven the se5
    If it is a manual shift use the clutch to shift. Some will say they do it without the clutch. Not knowing the machine and how a manual clutch works best to use it so you don't mess up the transmission. I have been riding with a manual clutch for 50 years and have shifted a few times without the clutch, but use the clutch to be on the safe side.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Reply

So when i go to shift do i let off the gas and pull the clutch and the manual doesnt down shift automatically right? One

Spyder Garage

We hope! You might want to reconsider "manual" shift if that is what they are saying. The "official" designation is SM5. The "semi-auto" which you said you test drove is designated SE5.

The SM5 has a clutch and in most cases, shifting is done similar to a two-wheeler. Pull in the clutch, roll off the gas, and snick it into the gear you want using the shift pedal.

The SE5 lets you do the shifting with your thumb (no clutch or foot pedals). The down shifts are automatic--or--you can do them manually--depending on the situation.

Cost wise, the SM is about $1,500 less. You save up front, but when it comes re-sale time, they are more difficult to sell. Most favor the SE version. Out of five 's owned, four of mine have been the SE.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    So when i go to shift do i let off the gas and pull the clutch and the manual doesnt down shift automatically right? One
    The Manual Spyders (SM) have a clutch lever on the left handlebar & a gear selector pedal at your left foot like many 2-wheel bikes, and just like you do on a manual 2 wheeler, you pull the clutch, roll off the throttle, use your toe (or heel if modded appropriately for heel/toe shifts!) to select the next gear, & release the clutch as you roll the throttle back on when you want to change gears. Easy..... unless you stuff it up &/or get the revs wrong!

The Semi-Automatic Spyders (SE) are actually the same manual gearbox except they have the addition of a Centrifugal or hydraulic clutch (instead of the manual lever operated jobbie) & electric solenoid operated gear selection, so you get to change up & down using the thumb & forefinger of your left hand on the + or - flappy paddle selector on the left handlebar grip - altho there is a computer controlled 'over-ride' down-change built in to change down thru the gears sequentially if necessary in order to protect the engine, clutch, & gearbox if you have forgotten to change down at the appropriate revs with your LH forefinger or are just being lazy & can't be bothered to twitch your forefinger! Either way, the semi-auto is still Easy, just a whole lot quicker on the gear changes with more control & less opportunity to stuff anything up or get the revs wrong & break/wear out anything along the way!

But if you are buying a Spyder with a Clutch lever, it's an SM & therefore a Manual gear change bike just like any 2 wheel manual bike you've ever ridden!!

If it doesn't have that clutch lever on the left handlebar, then it's an SE & you are buying a semi-auto Spyder that has the same underlying manual gearbox with the addition of an auto clutch & flappy paddles to control the electric solenoid operated up & down gearshifts PLUS the failsafe on down-shifts in case you forget or get lazy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-01-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!