Spyder Garage

Default This is where the Kenda Tires truly belong....

GIVE ME A BREAK.....
    this is the kind of ride where the KENDA truly belongs....

Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    GIVE ME A BREAK.....
    this is the kind of ride where the KENDA truly belongs....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    If you look really closely, I bet they are labelled “Special Bicycle Use Only”, Dan

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Their bicycle tires are up there amongst the leading brands for quality & performance, and they actually make some pretty good forklift tires too, as well as some fairly robust off road tires....

So I think it's really just the lack of proper specs & the quality control on the production runs for their 'special motorcycle' sized tires!!

(Betcha you never dreamt you'd EVER see anything from me suggesting that Kenda tires were anything but crap!! But seriously, they DO make some pretty good tires.... just not for Spyders?!?)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes, Kenda does make some very good tires, for bicycles, not Spyders. Not much one can do when they're the only tire in the Spyder game.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    (Betcha you never dreamt you'd EVER see anything from me suggesting that Kenda tires were anything but crap!! But seriously, they DO make some pretty good tires..
    Who ARE you, and how did you get Peter’s password?
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like Kenda. They make great tires. I have them on my travel trailer and utility trailer. The front Kenda tires on both RTs perform very well and looks like they will last at least 20k. The rear Kenda tires performed very well also, but they needed to be replaced earlier than I would have liked (10k miles), so I've gone with a General Altimax for hopefully longer tread life.

Bashing the Kenda brand makes no sense to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The story I heard sometime back was, when Can Am was designing the Spyder, they put out a call to the tire manufacturers to supply tires. Kenda was the only company to respond. I guess everyone figured it was too small a niche market.

Spyder Garage

Kenda makes a lot of tires for many different applications. Truck, Recreational Vehicles, Trailers etc. and now I see Trikes. I do like the Electric assist Trike. Makes life easier in hilly areas for old farts like me. I could hook up a small trailer and take a dog or two along. (or an old Blue Haired Girlfriend)

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Good looking....

Those are nice beach tires.... I never had any problems with Kenda tires
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My wheelbarrow and sack barrow both have Kenda tyres. None of my bikes or cars have. I rest my case.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 'space saver' spare tire on our 2017 Honda Accord is a Kenda but the 'space saver' spare on our 2013 Honda Ridgeline is a Continental.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default tire spec

Had a chance to talk to a kenda rep at the AIME expo. His answer to the tire wear question was. Kenda builds the tire to canam spec's and they can not change them because canam has a patent on them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I like Kenda. They make great tires. I have them on my travel trailer and utility trailer. The front Kenda tires on both RTs perform very well and looks like they will last at least 20k. The rear Kenda tires performed very well also, but they needed to be replaced earlier than I would have liked (10k miles), so I've gone with a General Altimax for hopefully longer tread life.

20k front? 10k rear? Wow, are you driving in crushed volcano lava, or what? My fronts have 52k right now, and have about 1/3 tread left. But they're beginning to cup a little and handle funny in curves, so I'm thinking maybe some nice new car tires pretty soon.

My rear Kenda stats show below. You'll do well with the Altimax; mine now has 35k+ and will be swapped out very soon. The center ribs are almost slick, while the outer ribs still have lots of depth. This is from running 28psi for most of its life; I dropped that to 17-18 a while back, and will continue that with the new Michelin Defender to see how it goes. (I run very lightly loaded most of the time. Just me, at 175lb. YMMV)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Maybe some people ride their Spyders so much, so hard or in such difficult conditions that they can tell the difference. I have 2200 miles on my new 2017 with Kendas and I don't understand what's the problem with them. They seem to handle fine for me and I'd be really uncomfortable if I was taking corners any faster. If they're bad, they sure have me fooled. However, I'm NOT criticizing others. My Spyder just gets casual use. I might very well have a different opinion if I rode 10,000 or more miles in a year or rode in the rain.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Chupaca (I think) and I discussed a couple of years back the differences with wear when it came to Kenda's.

He used to get pretty good wear from the Kenda's on the rear, can't remember the exact figure but I think it was up to 15,000 or 20,000 miles. I, on the other hand, could barely get 4000 miles out of mine.

Both of us have pre 2013 RS's. The only real difference we could come up with was the road surface.

Chupaca's roads were mainly concrete or smooth tarmac. Mine were course chip and tar and some gravel. The Kendas seem to wear very quickly on rough surfaces.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kenda does make good tires for trailer but they need improvement on their tires.