Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Aerocharger Turbocharger Kit for spyders

I have been talking to a gentleman named,brad, and we are talking about making a turbocharger for us guys..... but he would like to know how many people would actually be in trusted in doing something like this besides ME lol..... so please let me know if your intrusted and i can follow up with him... thanks

Spyder Garage

I would think there would be some risks involved in this, although there are probably ways around them. Biggest difficulty is that the Spyder's ECU is not programmable, so the fuel mapping and ignition timing can't be changed. This makes radical mods more difficult, requiring things like fuel pressure regulators and supplemental electronics like the Juicebox, to change things. I'm sure it can be done, but not as readily as with some other platforms.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Sounds neat. But you're going to have to address the heat issues a Turbo will create.

Some are having heat problems with the stock setup. A Turbo isn't going to help that.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default How are you going to tune with out a BUDS??

If there becomes a why obtain a BUDS system/software then you could take that step of total performance but till then.

I believe if got into the mapping system you could lean that puppy back a little as stock to gain as much power as the shot in the dark turbo you can obtain with no diagnostics.

If you are going with a turbo plan develop some software, design a intercooler, and drop some flat top slugs in there.

Just remember you can not really work on this bike yourself so whats the point.

Spyder Garage

Default turbo

ya I understand, but im not afraid to work on them, I have billet multiple cars, in fact i had a 07 Corvette with a f1 on a 402sb ls1 that made 853rw that i built last year.... I know that its a little diff. with bikes but.......... im not scared...hahahah...... and we would make an air to air intercooler for the turbo.....??????idk............ im talking to him and we will see what happens, he said that we could get around the fule prob. I just told him that i would ask around and see if outher spyder owners would be intrested in such a mod......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
    If there becomes a why obtain a BUDS system/software then you could take that step of total performance but till then.

I believe if got into the mapping system you could lean that puppy back a little as stock to gain as much power as the shot in the dark turbo you can obtain with no diagnostics.

If you are going with a turbo plan develop some software, design a intercooler, and drop some flat top slugs in there.

Leaning the Spyder back would be the last thing you would want to do.

They are pretty impressive units and are all-in-one.

If it can be done for $3000 or so I would be interested. It is my understanding that messing with the ECU will not be required. BRP has many similar engines that are turbocharged.

You can also build the engine up to 150HP or more with new cams and pistons from Ken at Evoluzione.

Spyder Garage

well i have been told about ken, but have not yet talked to him, and as far ass the turbo kit we are looking at around maybe 5k little less little more, you know how that is when you are doing somthing for the first time...... hahah

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, the BUDS system won't let you make adjustments to either the fuel mapping or the ignition timing. Even the dealers can't tweak it! For all practical purposes, it is strictly for diagnostics and some minor sensor adjustments and calibration. We have all wished for more, but the BRP engineers tied this one up tight. Hope I didn't stir the pot here.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

for what iv been told there is away to get around it, they have software to re tune your bike for major modes..... I will be finding out soon, bc. im ether going internal or a turbo.............. Im talking to 3 diff. shops wright now about my options................

Spyder Garage

Default On the engineering of your system how do you plan to resolve problems

I do not still understand how you are going to engineer a turbo system that will be efficient. Suck, Bang, and Blow.

1. Turbo location?

2. Intercooler location?

3. Waste gate options? internal or external?

4. Header, and down pipe flow calibrating?

5. How are you changing the fuel curve in proportion to rpms/boost? Lets us call that tweaking.

I would like to see some one design, and piggy back a DFI on the ECU before stepping in to the aspiration world first.

$5000 for 45 crank HP.

Take these issues first.

1. Find a way to maximize the cooling system of the spyder through its thermostat, radiator fan, and intakes.

2. Get past the ecu issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got no ideas what you guys are talking about!!!

Spyder Garage

thats what we are working on is the fuel prob. all the other probs. have been taken care of already...... and where looking at more of the range of 200-220rwhp

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prodrag69 View Post
    thats what we are working on is the fuel prob. all the other probs. have been taken care of already...... and where looking at more of the range of 200-220rwhp
    psssssst.... Ken at evoluzione.net apparently has made a PCIII work. He just won't sell them to us novices as they do need tuning.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Are you changing it to a chain for 220 RWHP?

If you are going to wined up 220 RWHP are you coverting to chain? My Friend has a 124 Merch in his prostreet with a 250 rear, and had to go chain.

Spyder Garage

ya i talked to ken today, and he quite doing all major mods..... all he will do is whats on his web sit but thats ok i will fined someone that will make cams for the spyder and far as the clutch I know it wont hold bc. the stock clutch cant hold up,for vary long, with the mods that i got now, for what iv been told...... as far as the belt I have NO idea....... All this is still in the works and I konw that i will have prob. with it for a bit till i get the bugs out of evrything...... Its still a cool idea I think

Spyder Garage

ya i talked to ken today, and he quite doing all major mods..... all he will do is whats on his web sit but thats ok i will fined someone that will make cams for the spyder and far as the clutch I know it wont hold bc. the stock clutch cant hold up,for vary long, with the mods that i got now, for what iv been told...... as far as the belt I have NO idea....... All this is still in the works and I konw that i will have prob. with it for a bit till i get the bugs out of evrything...... Its still a cool idea I think

Did he say why he quit doing the high performance mods on Spyders?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Did he say why he quit doing the high performance mods on Spyders?
    I think someone is confused. These engines are very similar to the Aprilla ones that Ken is an expert on. If you got the $$$$ - he can make things happen.

He no longer lists the Penske shocks on his site, but you can call him and order them.

Spyder Garage

bc he said that there was NO market for them and NO $$$$$$$$$ to be made

Spyder Garage

ken told me that he would not do anything for me accept for what he offers on his site, and the shocks that he took off was because he wants to talk to you so he can make them custom to the rider.................

Spyder Garage

bc he said that there was NO market for them and NO $$$$$$$$$ to be made
    Pretty sure they're the same ones he uses in the Aprilla engines.

I'd personally like a Turbo--- just can't tell your insurance company as your insurance will go up a ton.

Spyder Garage

Default I do not worry about replacing part that I can do myself.But no buds?

I would enjoy hopping things up but with out the diagnostics tools, and being able to get into the ecu it is like having both hand tried behind your back.

Spyder Garage

I would enjoy hopping things up but with out the diagnostics tools, and being able to get into the ecu it is like having both hand tried behind your back.

It's not gonna happen - get over it.

Ken hopped up his Spyder without needing a Budds system.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Hey, HDX, I see you finally got your true name?!

Spyder Garage

My point is that BRP isn't going to release it - so why keep bringing it up every post. We don't even know that the BUdds setup can adjust the things he wants to.

If he wants to adjust fuel mapping - I gave him the info on how to do it - buy a Juice Box- which is far cheaper than what the Budds would run if you could buy it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would think there would be some risks involved in this, although there are probably ways around them. Biggest difficulty is that the Spyder's ECU is not programmable, so the fuel mapping and ignition timing can't be changed. This makes radical mods more difficult, requiring things like fuel pressure regulators and supplemental electronics like the Juicebox, to change things. I'm sure it can be done, but not as readily as with some other platforms.
    -Scotty
    how do you have so much knowledge scotty ......... i wish i had half your brain so i could function
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER