Spyder Garage

Cool 2018 Self Leveling Suspension

Any feedback from 2018 owners on the rear self leveling suspension? Still deciding on a 17 or 18 model. Do you completely lose the ability to manually adjust it?
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

Although I have an earlier model, the owner's manuals for both model years 17 and 18 say the same thing regarding the suspension adjustment system. If you buy the basic RT model you must adjust the suspension system manually using the Schrader valve under the seat and an independent air compressor. If you buy the RT Limited you get the automatic rear suspension adjustment (ACS) system. With both models you are manually setting pressure in the suspension system one using a compressor and an air guage and with the ACS you manually set the amount of pressure in the air bag by pressing a switch on the switch panel. In the ACS system the position you select appears on the multi-function display screen in a number of bars from soft to hard. Each time you press the switch it changes the air bag pressure setting by one bar, up or down depending on whether you are setting it harder or softer. Once you have selected a setting, if you then manually add or remove air with an external compressor the ACS is going to add or bleed off air to return the pressure to the number of bars you selected with the switch button. If you want to to set the suspension system more finely than what the ACS does, therefore relying totally on the manual external air compressor and tire gauge method, you want to buy the basic RT model but I can't see why one would want to do so unless you want to continually fiddle with the suspension system in very small pressure increments that the ACS may not do. The Spyder suspension systems, particularly in the RT models, are designed for touring and are not manufactured with all the adjustability one might require if one was attempting to build the most finely tuned suspension performance required in a competition machine. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had both systems... The 2018 setup is doing a good job of keep my butt off of the ground.
    But I would often use the older system to "adjust" my ride height; if my headlights were causing a problem with oncoming traffic.
    You lose some options... but it still works great!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default No adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've had both systems... The 2018 setup is doing a good job of keep my butt off of the ground.
    But I would often use the older system to "adjust" my ride height; if my headlights were causing a problem with oncoming traffic.
    You lose some options... but it still works great!

Thanks Bob, I did not see the adjustment buttons on the 2018 and was wondering if that was a good thing. I did not get a chance to demo still waiting, but they were bringing out an 2018 at the dealer and I heard the compressor kicking in a couple of times with someone on it.
    Instead of set it and ride , do you hear it going on while riding?
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

I think this is the same system that's been in the RT-S model since the inception of the model in 2010.
    Some of the earlier models had problems with the compressors.
    My 2014 works fine.
    Are there any differences in the newer years ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I think this is the same system that's been in the RT-S model since the inception of the model in 2010.
    Some of the earlier models had problems with the compressors.
    My 2014 works fine.
    Are there any differences in the newer years ?

What I am learning is 2017 and possibly earlier models have automatic air preload adjustment and selector switch. 2018 automatic air preload adjustment. The selector switch is gone and is replaced with a sensor that sets the adjustments when you add the load to the Spyder.
    2017 RTL , Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From the original 2010 RT-S, up through the 2017 model year RT-S and Limited Models: they used the same system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Although I have an earlier model, the owner's manuals for both model years 17 and 18 say the same thing regarding the suspension adjustment system. If you buy the basic RT model you must adjust the suspension system manually using the Schrader valve under the seat and an independent air compressor. If you buy the RT Limited you get the automatic rear suspension adjustment (ACS) system. With both models you are manually setting pressure in the suspension system one using a compressor and an air guage and with the ACS you manually set the amount of pressure in the air bag by pressing a switch on the switch panel. In the ACS system the position you select appears on the multi-function display screen in a number of bars from soft to hard. Each time you press the switch it changes the air bag pressure setting by one bar, up or down depending on whether you are setting it harder or softer. Once you have selected a setting, if you then manually add or remove air with an external compressor the ACS is going to add or bleed off air to return the pressure to the number of bars you selected with the switch button. If you want to to set the suspension system more finely than what the ACS does, therefore relying totally on the manual external air compressor and tire gauge method, you want to buy the basic RT model but I can't see why one would want to do so unless you want to continually fiddle with the suspension system in very small pressure increments that the ACS may not do. The Spyder suspension systems, particularly in the RT models, are designed for touring and are not manufactured with all the adjustability one might require if one was attempting to build the most finely tuned suspension performance required in a competition machine. JMO.
    I have a 2018 RT Limited. Your talking about a "switch". Where would this switch be? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Smoak did a vlog on his first ride and at 7 min 44 secs mentions that the ACS setting is supposed to be in the digital dash system, but that he couldn't find it
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Smoak did a vlog on his first ride and at 7 min 44 secs mentions that the ACS setting is supposed to be in the digital dash system, but that he couldn't find it

didnt know he was still doing spyder videos. thank you !!
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They could have simply left it out of the consumer bikes...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al_lockup View Post
    Any feedback from 2018 owners on the rear self leveling suspension? Still deciding on a 17 or 18 model. Do you completely lose the ability to manually adjust it?
    Seems a few are not totally happy with the BRP connect. Maybe consider that in your decision to purchase ('17 or '18) ?
    Last edited by Saluda; 05-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP Connect has absolutely nothing to do with the rear suspension setup...

Spyder Garage

BRP Connect has absolutely nothing to do with the rear suspension setup...

Except that you no longer have control over the air pressure for the ACS. On my 2015 RT Limited, I had the middle position of the switch for the ACE set at 60 psi thru with the BUDDs conpter, and that gave me some adjustment for when I'm carrying a passenger, and when I'm packed for a trip. The 2018's no long have that adjustment, or so it seems.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Except that you no longer have control over the air pressure for the ACS. On my 2015 RT Limited, I had the middle position of the switch for the ACE set at 60 psi thru with the BUDDs conpter, and that gave me some adjustment for when I'm carrying a passenger, and when I'm packed for a trip. The 2018's no long have that adjustment, or so it seems.
    Devious, Did you ask your dealer to do this during a service? If so I'm wondering if there are any other BUDDS "tweaks" that folks have found beneficial?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Now it handles those settings automatically...
    If it's just you on the bike: or you, a VERY large football player riding behind you, and all of your personal belongings... the bike's ride height will remain constant.
    The adjustability is still there: they've just taken it out of our hands.

However...
    I often did find it useful to be able to set the ride height myself. If my headlights were bothering oncoming traffic: I'd pump it up a bit, and drop the nose...
    But that's an entirely different issue.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-04-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Devious, Did you ask your dealer to do this during a service? If so I'm wondering if there are any other BUDDS "tweaks" that folks have found beneficial?

Yes, when I had my rear tire replaced, I asked the tech about it, and that is when I learned I was doing it all wrong. I told him that i was trying to keep 60 pounds in my air bag when I rode because I liked the way it handled at that pressure, and he told me that the system was bleeding off the air that I put in thru the schrader valve,, because of the setting on the Budds computer., and asked if I would like it reset. I said yes, and he set the middle switch setting to 60 pound, and that gives me 2 setting about and 2 settings below the 60 pounds that the middle switch setting is now set at.
    Last edited by Devious56; 05-04-2018 at 05:31 PM.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3L and love it. Went riding with my wife and everything was perfect. Couldn't tell she was there! I say go for the auto air. I think you will appreciate having it many more times then you will miss the manual adjustment.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a couple of less button to push...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only thing I notice is when I'm stopped at a light and I feel the rear settle, sometimes twice as it re-adjusts. Don't have to worry about it. There is a Schrader valve under the seat if I need to do anything to it.

If I need to adjust the headlights I use the separate adjusting knobs behind the either side panels. Don't understand adjusting the headlights by raising/lowering the rear suspension.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Buttons

It is a couple of less button to push...
    I likea' the buttons...
    2017 RTL , Grey