Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default oil change and dipstick shows full-cold?

did an oil change on my spyder
    added 5 quarts (yes I drained it all, looks like 5 quarts in the drain pan)
    oil shows full on the dip stick
    started and let it run about 3 min.
    checked oil-still full
    let it sit overnight, cold engine and the oil still shows full
    just drained out about a half quart, still full on the dipstick
    what's up with that?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default Cold

Put it back. Check oil when it is warmed up, like the manual says. Cold, it drains down, and you think it is overfull. It is not. The 1330 never burns oil. Put the right amount in, it will be fine. Read the manual; lots of good information in there!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you also change the filter ?

With the 1330 engine, the oil level will show LOWER when cold......thereby causing people to over-fill it if they check it at the wrong time.

It should NEVER show over the top mark when cold. Never.

BUT......be sure that you are looking at the right marks.
    The acceptable range is NOT between the two knobs; it is above the top knob.

Spyder Garage

read the manual, watched 3 videos
    changed the oil and filter-added 5 quarts as recommended. Drained out 5 based on the fullness of the drain pan (it only holds 5 and was overflowing on the garage floor)
    the oil shows full on the dipstick when the engine is cold, not low as would be expected
    I realize that normally oil would be not showing on the dip stick when cold (or darn little would show)
    trying to understand why it is showing full and the engine is stone cold
    As mentioned, after the refill I ran it for 3-5 min. to check for leaks.
    It sat overnight-still full on the dipstick

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I just went out to thd garage and checked my oil and the dipstick reads full. 2017 F3T SM-6 and it hadn't been ridden since yesterday. Changed the oil last week and removed just shy of 4.8 quarts and added 4.8 quarts. I don’t think i have ever checked the dipstick on this bike without it being at operating temperature.

So i think you sre okay! That is if you put that 1/2 quart back
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 04-28-2018 at 06:22 PM.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

thanks Ann
    got a couple PMs from folks here who said the same thing Ann said.
    So the oil went back in and I'm just going to ride it.

It is interesting to me that with all the posts about no oil on the dipstick and the several posts on how to check the oil and many posts on changing the oil, the subject of oil showing full when cold has not come up before.

My take is that this is a normal occurrence, not always and not every time but not unusual.
    So any one who reads this down the road-take heart, there's nothing wrong with your machine.

Spyder Garage

Very Strange! I just changed my oil 2 days ago. followed instructions to the letter. New Filter, Orings and washers from Baja Ron, Added 5 quarts of Amsoil but walked away and did not check. Went riding today (around 250 miles) After it is warm It is showing a quart low at the first gas stop. It did not want to go into first and when It did It was a loud hard klunk.Just got back from my ride with the Spyder Ryders and checked again. Still shows a quart low.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Remember, dig back into the topic if you have to, when the INITIAL FILL amount was changed to 5 quarts it was done to, hopefully, prevent folks from overfilling the engine and having to remove some. It said that with the engine at operating temperature the level on the dipstick would be at the Min level. The amount to move the level from Min to Max on the dipstick is 500ml/1/2 qt -- at least that's what it says in my operator's guide, and 500ml/17oz in the 2018 RT manual. With 5qt in the engine you can safely run 'til the cows come home. Just remember, the oil also cools the engine so that extra 1/2 qt adds a little more lubricating coolant. I run my engine with 5qt, 12oz just to be safe because I've never measured exactly how much I get out when I pull both plugs and let it drain until nothing comes out. My dipstick today, cold having not been run for six days (rotten weather), reads about 3/4 of the way from Min to Max. It read Max at normal operating temperature at the last oil change 2,600 miles ago before SOTB. It registered full when checked at my return from SOTB. That last 1/4 of distance on the dip stick is from oil that drained from the oil tank back into the sump.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

OK I understand better now, Thank you. 5 quarts just takes you to the min mark. I need to add 1/3 quart or 17 oz to full. This rookie needed some learning.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    OK I understand better now, Thank you. 5 quarts just takes you to the min mark. I need to add 1/3 quart or 17 oz to full. This rookie needed some learning.
    Be careful. I think you'll find most here just add 5 qts (4.7L). I add the 5 qts on a complete oil change and after proper warm-up the oil level is just below max.

Are you sure you were not experiencing the "clean oil hard to read syndrome". Lay the dip stick against a paper towel to verify.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

The 990 Twin used to show Low or Not at all on the dip stick When cold BUT the 3 Cylinders are different and Do Not use Oil!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Be careful. I think you'll find most here just add 5 qts (4.7L). I add the 5 qts on a complete oil change and after proper warm-up the oil level is just below max.

Are you sure you were not experiencing the "clean oil hard to read syndrome". Lay the dip stick against a paper towel to verify.
    I added 5 quarts only because when I read the owners manual I stopped reading where it says add 5 quarts. You need to keep reading. The next Day I went on a ride with my Spyder group. I had to drive about 40 miles just to get to the meeting place mostly at around 70 mph. When I got there to top off my tank I noticed my transmission was acting funny. It would not want to shift into first gear from neutral I had to press upshift a few times and when it did shift, It was a hard clunk that jerked the spyder. I parked it and checked the oil. it was clearly at the min mark. At the time I did not know any better and figured it was a quart low. I did not bring any oil with me so I kept going at that level the rest of the day. When I got home, I found this thread and did more research. JayBros post lead me in the right direction and I went back to read the instructions on the owners manual. It became clear to me that 5 quarts just takes you to the min mark. My spyders tranny was running hot because of that. I adjusted the oil by adding about 14 or 15ozs which brought me up to just below the max mark. The book clearly says to run it to operating temp and adjust the oil to somewhere in between the two bubbles on the stick. Lamonster just adds an extra 1/3 quart which takes you to the mid point in between the 2 marks. The book says between the min and max mark is 17 ozs. It runs much better now.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-30-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Just read through the manual yesterday and I thought it stated 5 qts when changing oil & filter and 5.2 qts when changing oil, filter, and HCM filter. Shouldn't that bring it up pretty close to MAX if that is the capacity? I don't see where it says it only brings it up to the MIN. I'll read it again.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The book clearly says to run it to operating temp and adjust the oil to somewhere in between the two bubbles on the stick. .... It runs much better now.
    All good. Glad you found a solution and that its running normal again.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Here is Lamonsters video and he does an excellent job.
    Go to 5:40 for the explination of how much he puts in.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    As mentioned, after the refill I ran it for 3-5 min. to check for leaks.
    It sat overnight-still full on the dipstick
    That is not running enough.
    There is a good reason that the manual says to RIDE IT for xx miles until it gets hot.

Hopefully it will go down some with time in the seat.

P.S. However......after removing the extra half quart that was put in mine at it's first service.....it still reads a LOT higher on the stick that it first did.
    I need to check it "right" again before being too concerned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That is not running enough.
    There is a good reason that the manual says to RIDE IT for xx miles until it gets hot.

Hopefully it will go down some with time in the seat.

P.S. However......after removing the extra half quart that was put in mine at it's first service.....it still reads a LOT higher on the stick that it first did.
    I need to check it "right" again before being too concerned.
    Actually it is "running enough" to check for leaks. Look at the drain plugs and filter to be sure they're dry.
    Same as after an oil change on any vehicle, even your lawn mower.
    After you find no leaks you can the put the panels back on, button it up and then go for a ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Actually it is "running enough" to check for leaks.
    Probably.
    But "leaks" is not the main topic of this conversation.

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3 Oil Capacity

Is my F3 different I keep reading everyone saying add 5 qts at change and my manual says 5.9.. Is the difference due to it being an SE auto trans??
    Last edited by StickerPatch; 05-15-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I did my change last fall I put in 5 quarts. That's what the owners manual has and that's the recommendation on this forum. I ran it until the fans ran twice and checked the oil. It was just below max and I left it that way.

Six months later at my 3k checkup the dealer said it was low and added some. When I got it home, (20 mile ride) I checked the oil and it was overfilled. I had to take a 1/2 quart out to get it back where it was. I always use a paper towel to check where the oil is on the dipstick.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    Is my F3 different I keep reading everyone saying add 5 qts at change and my manual says 5.9.. Is the difference due to it being an SE auto trans??
    BRP restated the oil capacity recomendations to prevent over filling.

Use 5 quarts as your initial fill after thoroughly draining the old oil and changing the filter. Then, warm up the engine properly and check the level again. Some find they have to add more others find the 5 quarts to be sufficient. If you have to add more do it in small increments.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    BRP restated the oil capacity recomendations to prevent over filling.

Use 5 quarts as your initial fill after thoroughly draining the old oil and changing the filter. Then, warm up the engine properly and check the level again. Some find they have to add more others find the 5 quarts to be sufficient. If you have to add more do it in small increments.
    I will start with 5 and check and add. Like I said the SE shows .7 more in capacity from the SM and this is from the latest BRP manual on line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    I will start with 5 and check and add. Like I said the SE shows .7 more in capacity from the SM and this is from the latest BRP manual on line.
    Maybe it matters what manual you're using? My 2017 RT manual (and what I just pulled up off BRP's web site before I read your post) both say 5 qts if oil and filter are replaced for the SE model (or 5.2 qts if the HCM filter is also replaced) versus 4.8 qts for the SM model. That is a difference of only 0.2 or 0.4 qts, not 0.7.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Trust but Verify...and then trust the 1330 if you put the oil in.

I had changed the oil last fall at 33,300 miles, and so now after tripping to Springfield and back, and putting on a new tire, just a quick oil change to see how its doing. I drove down to the Quik Stop and back and since the temps today were in the 80s, and I had four bars on the temp gauge, I thought the oil would be hot enough to check. I pulled in the garage and let the motor run a couple of minutes while I checked by belt alignment (had just put on the new tire), and shut it off to check the oil.

WHAAA?? The dipstick was dry. Surely my 1330 isnt using oil since my trip and only 36,000 miles on the ODO? So a readjusted the belt tracking and this time went around several blocks and back in the garage to check everything. I had gone at least 5 miles and now I shut it down to check the oil and ..... the stick is still dry... hmmmmm

Wait a minute.. the instructions say to let it idle for 10 minutes or until the fan comes on twice. I didn't do that important step. Okay, take it out and go another 5-6 mile loop, pull it back in the garage, let it idle, while I do some busy work. I reset my clock to Daylight savings time and the fans came on after about three minutes idling, and then again after three more minutes. I shut it down, and got Bobs paper towel so I wouldn't miss anything, and a camera to document and this is how it looked..DSCN2491.jpg
    The first pic is after wiping it off and the second pic is oil up to the M in Max...just where I like it. Moral of the story, follow the directions and it'll be rightRight.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 05-16-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add pic - the bottom pic was upside down
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The first pic is after wiping it off and the second pic is oil up to the M in Max...just where I like it. Moral of the story, follow the directions and it'll be rightRight.jpg
    Mine is at the same level as yours. I wouldn't think that the time idling the engine would be so important but your case proves that it is. Thanks.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover