Spyder Garage

Default Need some input of Bluetooth headsets

I'm looking at various different bluetooth sets primarily for commo from driver to rider and cell phone. I've looked at the Sena SMH 5 set for a reasonable price plus several other Sena knock offs. Each and every one has lots of positives and some negative feedback including the Sena. I'm not sure if I want to spring for the cost of the upper grade Sena's, $5-600 for a pair is just a little to spendy for me. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks
    Mike

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    I'm looking at various different bluetooth sets primarily for commo from driver to rider and cell phone. I've looked at the Sena SMH 5 set for a reasonable price plus several other Sena knock offs. Each and every one has lots of positives and some negative feedback including the Sena. I'm not sure if I want to spring for the cost of the upper grade Sena's, $5-600 for a pair is just a little to spendy for me. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks
    Mike

Go to the Spyder Lovers Home page, there are ads in the middle, scroll down until you see, Motorcycle Dave's.

He has great prices and will give you good advice before the sale and excellent service after!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I found more info on the 5's which I'll probably get, since we don't usually do group rides and the folks I generally ride with don't use any commo devices. Also since it is just for me and the wife we don't need all the bells and whistles.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I found more info on the 5's which I'll probably get, since we don't usually do group rides and the folks I generally ride with don't use any commo devices. Also since it is just for me and the wife we don't need all the bells and whistles.
    +1 about checking with Motorcycle Dave for the best prices and personalized service.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here
    I am not sure where you saw the SENA head sets for sale for 5 to 600 dollars but that is wrong.
    Give me a call 209-887-3283 I will help send you in the right direction and MUCH better price.
    Dave

Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought a paired set of Sena smh10 from motorcycle dave and I did not spend anywhere near $500-$600.I don't remember now what I paid but the 10's are much better then the 5.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

We recently replaced our old communicators the with Sena 20S Dual Pack (two paired-at-the-factory units) while on a road trip. Didn't get them from Motorcycle Dave (we will next time however) but did get a very nice price from the Cycle Gear shop in Tucson. For the price the 20S is a nice product. Not as new or costly as the 20S EVO or 30S but nice sound quality and features none the less.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default BT 2S

Mike
    I purchased these 2 for $80.
    works great with my phone and to my passenger. Nothing fancy just basic stuff. Good value for the buck!

Spyder Garage

Our situation is like the OP's. We have two pairs of basic SMH-5s. We like them (obviously) and they're supposed to last for at least four hours. However, I find that we sometimes run out of power on longer trips -- I haven't timed it but I think they last about three to four hours -- and therefore I bought a second set for backup. The battery life may seem short but it's not the fault of the Senas -- it's the result of too much talk. With two identical sets, they use the same connections and therefore we can just unsnap the discharged units and snap in the fresh ones and continue on. The price for two pairs of the SMH-5s is still less than the price of one pair of the higher-end ones, and having two pairs pretty much guarantees they'll cover a full day of riding ... even with my wife talking all day.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Our situation is like the OP's. We have two pairs of basic SMH-5s. We like them (obviously) and they're supposed to last for at least four hours. However, I find that we sometimes run out of power on longer trips -- I haven't timed it but I think they last about three to four hours -- and therefore I bought a second set for backup. The battery life may seem short but it's not the fault of the Senas -- it's the result of too much talk. With two identical sets, they use the same connections and therefore we can just unsnap the discharged units and snap in the fresh ones and continue on. The price for two pairs of the SMH-5s is still less than the price of one pair of the higher-end ones, and having two pairs pretty much guarantees they'll cover a full day of riding ... even with my wife talking all day.
    We make sure we plug our SENA 20S in when we stop for lunch.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default UClear

I am considering UClear amp series. Less expensive than most here is CANADA.

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

In looking at prices, to get a general idea, on Amazon, some of the Sena sets like SMH 20's and some others at $240 +/- for a single headset, thus somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 for a pair is where I got my numbers from. Some sets going for $300/per , a little to spendy for me. I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a good set but not much more. I'll give Dave a call later today. Thanks all for the advice.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Spyderjim2016;1354720]I purchased these 2 for $80.
    works great with my phone and to my passenger. Nothing fancy just basic stuff. Good value for the buck![/QUOTE

Are you talking about the SMH 5's?

Spyder Garage

Default Headset

[QUOTE=mikeinco;1354827]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjim2016 View Post
    I purchased these 2 for $80.
    works great with my phone and to my passenger. Nothing fancy just basic stuff. Good value for the buck![/QUOTE

Are you talking about the SMH 5's?
    BT S2
    amazon $45.00
    https://youtu.be/c56S4ICbCm4
    Last edited by Spyderjim2016; 04-24-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought a paired set of Sena smh10 from motorcycle dave and I did not spend anywhere near $500-$600.I don't remember now what I paid but the 10's are much better then the 5.
    I have had the SMH10 for years now and they are wonderful!

Spyder Garage

Default BT is good.

We went SCHUBERTH route (collar fits base of helmet) - longer battery life, good range, great sound. Cheap? Nope, but neither were the helmets, which fit our heads better than most.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I spoke to Dave and he recommended the Sena 10C or the SMH 10. After doing a lot of searching I have narrowed things down a bit to the Sena SMH 10, the UClear Amp Go or the Cardo Scala Freecom 2. I would love some input on the UClear and the Scala. The big issue I have with the Sena is the helmet mount, I would probably knock it off in about 5 minutes and also Sena has very poor customer service in looking at reviews but so does Cardo. I like the UClear for its audio, but the helmet mount is a little goofy. The Cardo seems a little complex to use. I need some help from anyone who has any of the above. The other issue I have with most of these units is that when the battery won't charge, they can't be replaced, so I guess you just toss the $200 or so away and buy a new set, maybe Sena will replace the batteries but seems like they are the only ones and accordiing to some reviews takes 2-3 months for them to return. Thanks.
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeinco; 04-25-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Customer Service is EVERYTHING

Here is my take on the customer service thing.....
    I HATE IT when you buy something and have a problem with it, you call the help line
    and if you are lucky you get some one who speaks English that you can understand BUT...
    they are not in the USA and generally NO HELP. forget the email thing that takes more time than it's worth
    I built my small motorcycle accs. business on customer service period, everyone sells the same stuff
    but what you are buying is customer service. If I sell you something you can be sure it will be at a great price sure but you will get unmatched service. I am available 7 days a week 9:00AM to 8:00PM, I may be watching TV or out riding or in the food store or in front of my computer I always answer the phone and
    talk to you no matter where I am and I will help you with your problem, OR just BS with you about your
    ride.... I am a motorcycle nut and an uncurable car guy... Charter life member of AMA and SEMA
    and I hate bad service....
    Ask anyone who has delt with me I will treat you right and FAST with no BS

I spoke to Dave and he recommended the Sena 10C or the SMH 10. After doing a lot of searching I have narrowed things down a bit to the Sena SMH 10, the UClear Amp Go or the Cardo Scala Freecom 2. I would love some input on the UClear and the Scala. The big issue I have with the Sena is the helmet mount, I would probably knock it off in about 5 minutes and also Sena has very poor customer service in looking at reviews but so does Cardo. I like the UClear for its audio, but the helmet mount is a little goofy. The Cardo seems a little complex to use. I need some help from anyone who has any of the above. The other issue I have with most of these units is that when the battery won't charge, they can't be replaced, so I guess you just toss the $200 or so away and buy a new set, maybe Sena will replace the batteries but seems like they are the only ones and accordiing to some reviews takes 2-3 months for them to return. Thanks.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Dave, I didn't mean your customer service personally but the Sena 'factory' service, lots of complaints about them. I have no doubts abou buying anything from you. I read the same complaints about the Cardo 'factory' service. I apologize if I offended you.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here...
    I am sorry if you thought I was complaining about your post
    I 1000% was not, I was just saying that today in this day and age
    of customer no service it is a shame that companys dont do more
    to make their customers happy....
    you know please push 1- for English 2- for for Spanish 3-French and so on...
    Ride Safe and pray customer service around yhe world improves,
    but don’t hold your breath
    Dave

[QUOTE=mikeinco;1355464]Dave, I didn't mean your customer service personally but the Sena 'factory' service, lots of complaints about them. I have no doubts abou buying anything from you. I read the same complaints about the Cardo 'factory' service. I apologize if I offended you.
    pray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Have you considered those lipstick external batteries ?
    I'm thinking of adding them so I have an easy source of power that's portable. A little velcro and they stick right to the helmet.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Motorcycledave;1355487]Hi Dave here...
    I am sorry if you thought I was complaining about your post
    I 1000% was not, I was just saying that today in this day and age
    of customer no service it is a shame that companys dont do more
    to make their customers happy....
    you know please push 1- for English 2- for for Spanish 3-French and so on...
    Ride Safe and pray customer service around yhe world improves,
    but don’t hold your breath
    Dave

Dave, I didn't mean your customer service personally but the Sena 'factory' service, lots of complaints about them. I have no doubts abou buying anything from you. I read the same complaints about the Cardo 'factory' service. I apologize if I offended you.
    pray
    You are so right, customer service is a thing of the past. I remember my first job in college as a pump jockey, run out fill the gas tank wash the windows and check the oil, does'nt happen anymore and why should I have to press '1' for English we live in America for cryin out loud, we speak English here, well most of do!
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeinco; 04-28-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What Dave said is absolutely true.....

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Here is my take on the customer service thing.....
    I HATE IT when you buy something and have a problem with it, you call the help line
    and if you are lucky you get some one who speaks English that you can understand BUT...
    they are not in the USA and generally NO HELP. forget the email thing that takes more time than it's worth
    I built my small motorcycle accs. business on customer service period, everyone sells the same stuff
    but what you are buying is customer service. If I sell you something you can be sure it will be at a great price sure but you will get unmatched service. I am available 7 days a week 9:00AM to 8:00PM, I may be watching TV or out riding or in the food store or in front of my computer I always answer the phone and
    talk to you no matter where I am and I will help you with your problem, OR just BS with you about your
    ride.... I am a motorcycle nut and an uncurable car guy... Charter life member of AMA and SEMA
    and I hate bad service....
    Ask anyone who has delt with me I will treat you right and FAST with no BS
    I can attest to the fact that Dave's comment is as true as the day is long. I've dealt with him personally both on the phone and at his home. Rarely if ever in todays world will you receive the customer service Dave provides. I know I'm leaving out a lot of other responsible folks who are sponsors on this site and it's nice to know there are many.

(By the way BRP should sit up take notice.)