Spyder Garage

Default 2017 or 2018 RT?

Hello All,

Ready to pull the trigger. have a $2000.00 off coupon on the 18's but the 2017 are offering good discounts too.

it will be my 1st Spyder, are the 18's with the new dashboard the way to go?
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

I just took delivery of a 0 miles 2017 RT-L and couldn't be happier. Paid a little over 25K OTD and prefer the analog instrument panel.
    I had a Zumo 590 from my old bike so I plan on selling the new one that came with the spyder. This will make the 2017 an even better deal.

Spyder Garage

Given the way the Spyder has evolved, I'd go with the 2017. It's got most of the bugs worked out.
    If you like the electronic dashboard, wait until 2020 or so when it's been in production for a couple of years.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. If I am, someone on this forum will surely let me know right away.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

You never want to buy the vehicle with the 'first' of anything, and if you read the threads here, there aren't too many new 2018 owners who aren't doing some 'unpaid testing & product development/fine tuning work' for BRP; almost invariably on that 'new' & 'first edition' electronic/digital dash!! Give it a year or two for the bugs to be ironed out & all the necesary instructions on how to operate the 'all new dash' to be formalised & known by most, and it could be great.... until then, do you REALLY want to be BRP's unpaid crash test dummy??

I'd be looking for the best deal you can get on the highest spec 2017 you can find out there that floats your boat, & let others do the unpaid 'production testing' & have all the frustrations of owning the 2018 with it's all-new dash!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW SPYDER

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You never want to buy the vehicle with the 'first' of anything, and if you read the threads here, there aren't too many new 2018 owners who aren't doing some 'unpaid testing & product development/fine tuning work' for BRP; almost invariably on that 'new' & 'first edition' electronic/digital dash!! Give it a year or two for the bugs to be ironed out & all the necesary instructions on how to operate the 'all new dash' to be formalised & known by most, and it could be great.... until then, do you REALLY want to be BRP's unpaid crash test dummy??

I'd be looking for the best deal you can get on the highest spec 2017 you can find out there that floats your boat, & let others do the unpaid 'production testing' & have all the frustrations of owning the 2018 with it's all-new dash!
    ..... Plus the new instrument cluster may not be what you like .....it's very different from what it was and I think maybe tooooooo high tech ..... plus I've heard confusing things about the Stereo ...you might have to have an I-phone ..........check it out first ..... plus the Hit on depression is mostly after the first year so let thedealer take the Hit .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... Plus the new instrument cluster may not be what you like .....it's very different from what it was and I think maybe tooooooo high tech ..... plus I've heard confusing things about the Stereo ...you might have to have an I-phone ..........check it out first ..... plus the Hit on depression is mostly after the first year so let thedealer take the Hit .........Mike
    wholeheartedly!!! Give BRP a year to work out any bugs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I get quite depressed even thinking of paying close to MSRP for one of these beasts!!!

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just got a 2018 rtl and the steering is so much easier than the 2017. If i were you i would have the dealer let you try them around the parking lot.They put a different steering gear box on the 2018. day and night different. It takes 8 lbs to turn the 2018 and 30 lbs to turn 2017. I have a 2017 and a 2018 That is the difference at ideal wen you turn short and take of. The new dash is all different you will get used to it.The 2018 has auto rear shock air ride also. They switched over the new gear box in august of 2017 so some of the later production models had them. I would make sure be for i bought one. I hope this helps you and any one else. Don Harvey If you have any questions feel free to call me @ 1 607 4323069

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donsspyder View Post
    I just got a 2018 rtl and the steering is so much easier than the 2017. If i were you i would have the dealer let you try them around the parking lot.They put a different steering gear box on the 2018. day and night different. It takes 8 lbs to turn the 2018 and 30 lbs to turn 2017. I have a 2017 and a 2018 That is the difference at ideal wen you turn short and take of. The new dash is all different you will get used to it.The 2018 has auto rear shock air ride also. They switched over the new gear box in august of 2017 so some of the later production models had them. I el.would make sure be for i bought one. I hope this helps you and any one else. Don Harvey If you have any questions feel free to call me @ 1 607 4323069
    Both have the air leveling systems, except the base model.Interesting about the steering though. It just depends if money is important or being a beta tester is important.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I just took delivery on a 2017 RTS, the new dash and bells and such did not impress me. I'm more interested in the ryde.
    AND they will never go backward toward a simpler "dash". Loved my 14, and while I only ridden the new one about thirty
    miles, I am gonna love it too.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2018 RT and really like it.I was surprised on how easy the steering was.Seems to shift smoother than my 2015 and i really like the new dash.You have to road test and buy what you like.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The six-speaker sound system really ROCKS, on the 2018s!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 2017 RT-S and saved enough to buy a lot of gas and insurance. My '17 is the same running gear as my '14, no difference that I can tell other than the steering seems a little easier at slow speeds. The dash means nothing to me. If I an read the odometer, gas, RPMs and temperature gauge then I am happy. I check my speed on my GPS. My plan is this is my last Spyder.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I bought a 2017 RT-S and saved enough to buy a lot of gas and insurance. My '17 is the same running gear as my '14, no difference that I can tell other than the steering seems a little easier at slow speeds. The dash means nothing to me. If I an read the odometer, gas, RPMs and temperature gauge then I am happy. I check my speed on my GPS. My plan is this is my last Spyder.

I'm thinking you've got one or two more left......................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al_lockup View Post
    Hello All,

Ready to pull the trigger. have a $2000.00 off coupon on the 18's but the 2017 are offering good discounts too.

I just bought an 18 could not find a 17 rt ld in blue I’m disappointed with the new dash not enough apps very restricted +the phone has to go into the frunk If they would open access to the entire phone and apps it would be great also you cannot listen to fm radio on your Bluetooth. I don’t know if this is the norm it’s my first spyder I’m use to the nav gold wing but I do like the bike in every other way

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al_lockup View Post
    Hello All,

A difficult choice. I have been a beta tester since day one. Got the first 2008 sold in Alaska, bought an early 2009 with SE transmission, bought a premier 2010 RTS, and one of the first 2014 1330's. Happy to say no issues with any of them.

There does seem to be some issues with the 2018 new dash. It is way technical for me. I am going to wait a year or two for them to get any "bugs" out of that system.

That said--I recommend testing both versions and see what floats your boat. The 2017 should have extra off the MSRP due to the "older model" situation.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donsspyder View Post
    I just got a 2018 rtl and the steering is so much easier than the 2017. If i were you i would have the dealer let you try them around the parking lot.They put a different steering gear box on the 2018. day and night different. It takes 8 lbs to turn the 2018 and 30 lbs to turn 2017. I have a 2017 and a 2018 That is the difference at ideal wen you turn short and take of. The new dash is all different you will get used to it.The 2018 has auto rear shock air ride also. They switched over the new gear box in august of 2017 so some of the later production models had them. I would make sure be for i bought one. I hope this helps you and any one else. Don Harvey If you have any questions feel free to call me @ 1 607 4323069
    To my knowledge the DPS unit was upgraded for the 2017 models. Interesting to know what more changes were made for 2018.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I get quite depressed even thinking of paying close to MSRP for one of these beasts!!!

Al in Kazoo
    I know, depreciation is very depressing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Garf;1354358]I just took delivery of a 0 miles 2017 RT-L and couldn't be happier. Paid a little over 25K OTD and prefer the analog instrument panel.
    I had a Zumo 590 from my old bike so I plan on selling the new one that came with the spyder. This will make the 2017 an even better deal.[/QUOT

Sound good.. I would not turn down a deep discount on the 2017 RT-L if that is possible.
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I really appreciate your interest and insights. Not getting any chances to test ride at the dealers because of the weather / insurance regulations. I know the rebates will be ending soon also.. I do like the dark model option on the 18's with the tinted lenses. From your responses, looks like either year is mechanical the same. Thanks again, and i will update you after "the deal"
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The six-speaker sound system really ROCKS, on the 2018s!

Bob, how do you like the new self level suspension on your 2018? Is it always adjusting? Or stays set with the current weight?
    2017 RTL , Grey