Spyder Garage

Default Read about a 2 up shock, but...

... I couldn't find any info when I searched. I have a 2010 RT SM5 and ride 2 up almost always. I assume a 2 up shock will help with the ride - we are both pretty big. I do make sure the air bag is filled but I wonder if a 2 up shock is stronger and would give us a better ride. Where do I find that shock? Can I do the install?
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... I couldn't find any info when I searched. I have a 2010 RT SM5 and ride 2 up almost always. I assume a 2 up shock will help with the ride - we are both pretty big. I do make sure the air bag is filled but I wonder if a 2 up shock is stronger and would give us a better ride. Where do I find that shock? Can I do the install?
    Jim
    I believe the 2 up shock are for the F3's.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

One of the site sponsors (Elka) maybe have what you need??? Mac

Spyder Garage

Default What he said...

All the talk of late is about the F3. On yours you would have to see which shock you have and if it is adjusted correctly. If there is no more adjustment it may be time to go to an aftermarket shock....Elka, Progressive, Fox, RaceTec etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    Jim
    Jim,

I think you would be surprised at the ride quality improvement if you just swap the springs in front and rear. You didn't post your combined weight, but based on my experience with the 2012 RTS and your pic, I would say you are looking at 450 (or possibly 500 depending on your combined riding weight) lb/in springs in front and 900 lbs/in spring for the rear shock. You need stiffer springs up front because the earlier spyders (up to 2012) used a steeper shock mounting up front.

Here are my threads on what I did. Because of what Photobucket did, you have to do this to be able to see the pics.:
    If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result.

Front suspension:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60792-2012-RT-S-SE5-Front-Suspension
    Rear suspension: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-(shock)

I used really stiff springs (550 I think) and should have gone lighter up front (I ride mostly solo), 800 lb/in for rear for mostly solo riding worked for me as a 190 lb rider. I'm guessing you need 900lb/in since you ride mostly 2 up. It is a little work to do this, but it is FAR cheaper than going with aftermarket shocks. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Jerry

13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle