Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar

I have your Sway bar Ron. It did help.

Spyder Garage

Default leary of corners

I too had the problem with cornering. I rode two wheels for close to fifty years and I found that I had to stay away from riding the two wheels because old traits of riding came back and they just don't work with the spyder. I have about 2500 miles on the one I bought and still sometimes try to use the old riding habits, not only in the corners but with braking and shifting. I have a SE-5 so no shift lever,no brake lever.
    Give it time and things will begin to be better. Its hard to break old habits.
    dave

Spyder Garage

Everything suggested....and....experiment with tire pressures as well. Make sure those fronts are as close to being the same as you can get 'em. Everyone has their opinion on pressures, because that's where they find the "sweet spot" for THEM. I try different pressures every couple months just to see how the Spyder reacts. For my first ride...today actually, I have my fronts at 18.5psi and the rear at 25psi. Another thing is grip, and of course the urge to lean. You still lean on the Spyder, but I find that using my feet is just as important. Don't forget to push down with that outside foot in the corners, as it will give YOU a more stable feeling. Just a couple other things to ponder while ya ride.....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Steer with your palms don't grip with your hands! The difference is amazing. One hand not fighting the other even though you're not consciously doing that. Always look through the corner where you want to be not where you are. The two biggest things that will make you smoother and faster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I felt like you for the first 2000 miles. I have been riding on two wheels for over 60 years and have learned you do ride altogether different. l Now am taking corners just as fast as I did on my F6B. I now feel real comfortable riding at about any speed. I am probably riding a little to fast. What really help me was when I put new car tires on, aligned it, put Doc's belt tension-er on balanced the front tires and centralmatic balance er on the rear. At 80 mile an hour I can put two fingers on one of the handle bars and it goes straight on the highway and is real smooth. Going into corners I have no problem the bike will shut down if you are going to fast. I do ride alone and weight 150 lbs. so I don't feel as I need the sway bar but if I was riding two up or weighted over 200 lbs. I would try the sway bar and I might even put one on because I do ride pretty aggressive. I really did not want to give up my two wheels but touring bikes were just getting to heavy to handle. I would not think of going back right now and I am pretty strong for my age.
    Last edited by gerald37; 04-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Let me see....

I would suspect that you are comparing too much instead of ryding it's ryde. Being as different as they are and coming form a spirited two wheeler background as you do it does take more time to undo and relearn as those coming from nowhere and learning for the first time. It will come when you relax and enjoy the spyders capablilities...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default tune up

I just got a message suggesting that toe may be something to consider. Guess I may take a closer look at the suspension geometry. You do not need a laser to properly adjust a suspension.

Spyder Garage

It just takes some time. Relax and enjoy the ride. The more you set there and think about what your doing the more you'll fight the handle bars. I did the same thing till I relaxed and started riding and not fighting it. Now I catch myself riding with my hands just laying on top of the handle bars until I need to slow down or stop.time will tell. Happy Trails. Ride Safe Ride Often.

Spyder Garage

A very simple fix that made fast cornering better other than my Ron Bar and a 2-up rear shock was to add some Spyderpops foam grips. The stock grips IMHO are way too small and cause the ryder to use a stronger grip than is necessary. When I added the foam grips, I was able to use a much lighter and more surgical touch with the steering inputs and this added great confidence. Like yourself with high performance machinery, I currently do autocross in a very high performance car but found the steering was just too touchy on the Spyder. Can't downplay the added confidence that the Ron Bar added to decreasing body lean. As Baja Ron pointed out, I got a True Laser Track rear tire alignment and the F3-S tracks incredibly straight which helps point the trike where you want it more easily.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 04-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

After riding M/C's for 47+ years, I had a little issue with the handling of the Spyder. I found myself going into a corner and throwing my weight into it like I would a bike, and yes I have "dragged a few knees" in corners in my time, what I found that helped me out, was to look way ahead in the turn and adjust my lean/grip accordingly, plus adding throttle more smoothly, helps the transition. I had a heck of a time getting use to the "throttle-by-wire" system, to me , they don't have a lot of "feel", until you get used to them. It does not take as much effort as one might think, to turn a Spyder. I have a few years of riding a snowmobile, so that helped me out also. I have Ron's sway-bar and it has helped immensely when 2-up. Good luck and give it time, it will all fall into place sooner than you think. Mac