Thread: Engine rattle

Spyder Garage

Default Engine rattle

Looking at a 2014 RT 30K Mi. Engine rattles (sounds like topend) loud untill oil pressure builds up, normal or not?
    2018 RT Ltd , White/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NOT normal... walk away!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT's come with the 1330 ACE engine. To me--they sound a bit like a diesel chugging at idle. I don't see that as a problem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

And once you realise the diesel 'chatter' aka 'chaff cutter' noise at idle is normal for the 1330's & you rev one a little, the engine sounds like Great Grandma's Singer Sewing machine just took off, so don't be too surprised!!

It's actually quite a distinctive engine noise, and it is pretty much there regardless of what you do to the exhaust to try & mask it!! The F3's with less body work are even more 'noisey' wrt the engine!! But the 1330 motor will pull like a train.... albeit not quite as an exciting train as the 998 V-twin IMO, but they certainly do have a whole lotta torque, especially down low!

And when it all comes down to it, how many posts/threads do you see here or anywhere else from people complaining about having to rebuild or replace their engine? There are some re V-twins, but some of them are getting on a bit now, & they are notorious oil users; but there are only a couple, maybe 'a few' about 1330's.... & if there was an inate problem, rest assured you'd be reading about it here!! Just like you can about the 'different noise' they make - especially if you look at the threads & posts from when they first hit the streets!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default noise

Not trying to be critical - BUT - to me some bad advice for never hearing that RT.
    I had a '14 RT and it did not sound like a diesel to me.
    I would suggest having it checked by a dealer - or another dealer.
    als

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter Aawen and akspyderman for the reassuring comments and explanations re the noisy 1330 Ace engine. I have to agree, Peter, with your comparison to it sounding like a sewing machine gone berserk; that's exactly how I have tried to describe the sound of my F3L to others when asking whether this is 'normal' and 'to be expected'. This is my first Spyder, and there was a 38-year gap in my riding history when I brought it home. I'm re-learning a lot of things. Getting used to biking again has brought with it the usual concerns of new ownership. The F3L has been running fine, giving lots of fun and excitement, but I have sometimes been apprehensive about the metallic sounds it makes. Your comments will surely help me feel more relaxed. It's great to have the benefit of others' experience on this wonderful, knowledge-sharing Forum. Thanks much!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    NOT normal... walk away!
    Quote Originally Posted by als View Post
    Not trying to be critical - BUT - to me some bad advice for never hearing that RT.
    I had a '14 RT and it did not sound like a diesel to me.
    I would suggest having it checked by a dealer - or another dealer.
    als
    I'm with you guys on this. My F3-S was a little noisy when cold but it was coming from the clutch area, NOT the top end! And didn't quiet down once "oil pressure built". It would quiet down as the oil temp came up tho. And now no longer does it at all since I switched off of the BRP oil.... So, to the OP, I would get a second opinion and or change the oil and filter if it hasn't been done in 5k miles or a year's time....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not normal.

Mine is quiet when I start it cold. Maybe they haven't changed the oil in a long time? Low on oil? Or more serious problem? I would look for another spyder to buy. Spyders are notoriously expensive to fix.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Some one on this web site accurately described the 1330 engine sound as sounding like "two plastic skeletons dancing on a pie tin". If it sounds any different than that, it is not normal. And, there is no change in sound from start to fully warm.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Noise

All Good Tips. Are you buying from a Spyder Dealer? Private party? Any chance of Warranty on the Spyder? Some repairs can be very expensive.
    Last edited by Little Blue; 04-22-2018 at 05:03 AM. Reason: sp
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's engine noise ; and there's ENGINE NOISE!!
    Having had some automotive engines with bad lifters: it's pretty easy to tell the difference between them...
    If it's as bad as the O.P. is hinting: it needs a lot of further investigation.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Not being able to hear it ourselves we can only guess at if it is normal or not. The triple is a strange sounding engine but if your not sure Compare. Find another one or take it to someone who can tell you if it is at the normal stage...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the info, Think I’ll pass unless I get a Warranty

Spyder Garage

Just noticed you live in Mesa, AZ. too. If you would like, come by my place and listen to mine starting from cold. I live in Fountain of the Sun community. Main entrance at 80th and Broadway. If still interested, send me a PM and we can make arrangements.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Binegar View Post
    Looking at a 2014 RT 30K Mi. Engine rattles (sounds like topend) loud untill oil pressure builds up, normal or not?

The 1330 motors have a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that uses a helper spring to maintain pressure when the engine is off. Mine (43k miles) has an intermittent rattle at startup, but it is only occasionally. What I believe is happening is the helper spring has become somewhat weak and is not maintaining proper tension when the engine is not running. I've consulted with several professionals in different shop/dealers and their advice was to not worry about it until it is an all of the time thing. They all said a slight decrease in spring tension can cause a lot of noise, but none of it is harmful.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Binegar View Post
    Thanks for all of the info, Think I’ll pass unless I get a Warranty
    When the right one comes along: you'll know it!

Spyder Garage

Default Reply

The cam chain tensioner spring, sounds right. I thank everyone for the reply’s. I would be intrested to see the setup, I understand the tensioner, just not the hydraulic part! Ride Safe, & have fun

Spyder Garage

Default Engine noise in '18 F3 Limited Anniversary Edition

I made a video recording yesterday of my '18 F3 Limited of an unsettling sound that occurs only on cold start ups after the Spyder has been sitting overnight in the garage. Is this the sound everyone else is describing as normal? The unsettling intensity of the rattling noise (or whatever it is) completely fades away approximately after 5 minutes of idling or riding. I attempted another a cold start up after it's been sitting outside for several hours in the sun; no noise. My Spyder has 715 miles so I realise it's not broken in as of yet, but I had a brand new '18 RT Limited for a couple weeks on loan (2 miles on the odometer when I left with it) while my Spyder was in for warranty work and never heard this unsettling noise.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I made a video recording yesterday of my '18 F3 Limited of an unsettling sound that occurs only on cold start ups after the Spyder has been sitting overnight in the garage. Is this the sound everyone else is describing as normal? The unsettling intensity of the rattling noise (or whatever it is) completely fades away approximately after 5 minutes of idling or riding. I attempted another a cold start up after it's been sitting outside for several hours in the sun; no noise. My Spyder has 715 miles so I realise it's not broken in as of yet, but I had a brand new '18 RT Limited for a couple weeks on loan (2 miles on the odometer when I left with it) while my Spyder was in for warranty work and never heard this unsettling noise.
    My 15 RTL does not sound like that. But it’s also got 15.5k miles on it so my comment may not be relevant.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Doesn't sound normal, or good, to me......
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Engine noise in F3

Thanks to those who have responded. I didn't notice this unsettling noise in the brand new RTL I had on loan. Unlike the RT's, the F3's engine is completely exposed so perhaps this noise is more apparent in this particular model. However I'm quite certain this unsettling rattle noise wasn't present when I first purchased it so I'm a tad nervous so I've planned to have the dealer compare it to the other new 2018 F3's on the floor to be sure.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

I notice this sound as well on my 17' F3T that I purchased new last year. I don't really hearing it before. Spyder rides great but the sound is unsettling cause I am wondering if somethings has shaken loose in there. My husband has a 17 F3S and his doesn't sound like that but it may be due to body type. He has less Tupperware on his then mine.