Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Slipping or fluke ?

I have the 08 SM5 spyder with 4k miles on it.
    I was out riding yesterday and for most of my riding, when I would apply the throttle more than a normal amount, my rpm's would drastically surge to about 7-8k but the bike would not go any faster. If I backed off on the throttle and slowly applied it, it would be ok and I could gain speed. On the way to work today it seemed fine, I did try some hard throttling and did not experiance any issues. Guess it give me a chance to ride it out to the beach today to try it again.

If it turns out to be a clutch issue or something like that, I wonder if its still under warranty?

Spyder Garage

Clutch is considered a wear item. They may cover it but they don't have to. What oil are you running?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Clutch is considered a wear item. They may cover it but they don't have to. What oil are you running?
    Just had the oil changed at the dealership about 400 miles ago, so I am assuming they put in the BRP stuff?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    Just had the oil changed at the dealership about 400 miles ago, so I am assuming they put in the BRP stuff?
    Check your oil level - and look at your service report to see what oil they used. Really sounds like you might have the wrong oil in there.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Check your oil level - and look at your service report to see what oil they used. Really sounds like you might have the wrong oil in there.
    Service report says BRP @ $12.99 per quart. I did call the dealer to verify and they said they can ONLY use the BRP stuff in the Spyders, so apparently they are aware of that.

I just checked the oil level, shows about half way up on the "add" section.
    Wonder if I should add some?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    Service report says BRP @ $12.99 per quart. I did call the dealer to verify and they said they can ONLY use the BRP stuff in the Spyders, so apparently they are aware of that.

I just checked the oil level, shows about half way up on the "add" section.
    Wonder if I should add some?
    Realize there are different kinds of 'BRP' oil.

Spyder Garage

Seeing the oil on the dipstick is plenty good. More people have had the extreme "oil in the airbox" issues when filling their oil right up to the full mark. If I can see the oil on the bottom of the dipstick, I consider it good. BTW, BRP sells a variety of oils so I wouldn't discount the possibility that they accidently put in the wrong BRP oil causing your clutch to slip.