Thread: Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat

I just installed my new Corbin seat on my 2016 RTS. I bought it through Dynamic Cycle in Ontario they order it and ship it to anywhere in Canada which saves some money for customs fees. Shout out to them, I知 very happy with their service.

Now, I have to say i知 not totally impressed in the fit, this thing cost me over 1200$ Canadian. The locking pin has no adjustment front to back and when the seat is adjusted to align the pin, the seat interferes with the glove box. I had to remove the pin like its suggested in another thread. Even though the seat is now pushed back as much as possible, the front right part of the seat is rubbing on the plastic on the side of the glove box, that痴 surely gonna leave a nice mark over time. Also, one of the rubber bumper grommets was located exactly over the shock air valve, meaning the seat would apply pressure on it when down. I had to relocate the bumper.

As for comfort, I need a bit of saddle time before i値l comment.

Spyder Garage

Take the locking pin out for sure and you will need about 500 - 1000 K in the saddle to break it in . Did you get the heated seat .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

RE: Break in--the seat will be hard "forever." That is the Corbin way. Five hundred to a thousand miles will get your butt used to the Corbin--not the other way around. Us Corbin veterans refer to that as "extra support." You either like them or hate them.

I have had two and over 50,000 combined miles on both of them. Currently, I am using BRP "comfort" seats on both RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat Misfit

I had the exact same problem with the Corbin seat I received for my 2016 RT. The pin was in the wrong spot and it is not movable - why ship a product with a latching pin if you have to remove it to align the seat properly to use the glove box? That is nothing other than a design and/or build flaw. I argued with Corbin about this and their response was "they did not have fitment issues and it must be my problem".

I am sure it is a comfortable seat, but in my opinion - for that amount of money, it should also fit right. I even highlighted to Corbin in the pre-ride checklist from CanAm that it specifically states the seat must be latched for safety reasons. You can take that for what its worth, but they would not accept that as a valid reason for return. I sent them pictures of their issue, how the old seat fit correctly and their seat did not - they did not respond at all.

So I went with my last resort - my credit card company. I opened a case and provided all of the details including the pictures (about 10 pages worth), and I'm sure Corbin gave their side of it, and in the end they agreed with me. Corbin got their seat back and I got my refund.
    I'm not saying they are a good or bad company to deal with - I installed their armrests and love them - fit perfectly. I am only telling you about my issue with their seat. For some, the non-latching and pin removal solution works fine, not for me. I know if I produced something like that in my line of work, I would be beaten by all of my customers until the issue was resolved. I think it will be up to you what works and what is satisfactory for your ride.
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    I had the exact same problem with the Corbin seat I received for my 2016 RT. The pin was in the wrong spot and it is not movable - why ship a product with a latching pin if you have to remove it to align the seat properly to use the glove box? That is nothing other than a design and/or build flaw. I argued with Corbin about this and their response was "they did not have fitment issues and it must be my problem".

I am sure it is a comfortable seat, but in my opinion - for that amount of money, it should also fit right. I even highlighted to Corbin in the pre-ride checklist from CanAm that it specifically states the seat must be latched for safety reasons. You can take that for what its worth, but they would not accept that as a valid reason for return. I sent them pictures of their issue, how the old seat fit correctly and their seat did not - they did not respond at all.

So I went with my last resort - my credit card company. I opened a case and provided all of the details including the pictures (about 10 pages worth), and I'm sure Corbin gave their side of it, and in the end they agreed with me. Corbin got their seat back and I got my refund.
    I'm not saying they are a good or bad company to deal with - I installed their armrests and love them - fit perfectly. I am only telling you about my issue with their seat. For some, the non-latching and pin removal solution works fine, not for me. I know if I produced something like that in my line of work, I would be beaten by all of my customers until the issue was resolved. I think it will be up to you what works and what is satisfactory for your ride.
    Unfortunately, I am about to begin a similar dispute process with Corbin. They have not answered any of my attempts to contact them to get a status of my order which is now 1 month old. They were very quick to charge my credit card but have not answered several attempts to get a simple status of my order. They don't answer their phones and as of tonight, their voicemail system is inoperative and their cust_service@corbin.com email account returns an undeliverable for maintenance reasons. Very frustrating, with so many bad reviews, i don't know why they are still a sponsor!

Spyder Garage

After reading about their lack of responsiveness, I would think twice about doing business with them. I enjoy dealing with our sponsors and know that they stand behind their products and provide great service. If this particular sponsor does not fit that profile then why are they still advertising for our business.....? Maybe there is "the rest of the story" that is not here and I would welcome that information before condemning a valuable sponsor.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 04-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default My Corbin

I've owned 3 Corbin seats and likes them all. So when I bought my new RT-S
    in June '14 I decided to spring for $900 and bought a heated Corbin. Big mistake.
    It took 6 weeks to get it and I sent it right back. The seat had my privates sitting
    on the glove box. It cost $100 to ship it back. Then it took 7 more weeks. I got it back
    found the seat wasn't dished out enough and I would slide foreward.
    I wanted to send it back again but they said they could only redo it once.
    Then the pin was a joke, I took it off. Then found out, (the hard way) when lifting
    the seat I had to open the gas door, to keep from scratching the paint.
    For about the same money I should have bought the heated Custom seat BRP offered.
    Corbin won't give a refund if you're unhappy, once they got your money you're stuck
    with it.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by NotSteve View Post
    I just installed my new Corbin seat on my 2016 RTS. I bought it through Dynamic Cycle in Ontario they order it and ship it to anywhere in Canada which saves some money for customs fees. Shout out to them, I知 very happy with their service.

Now, I have to say i知 not totally impressed in the fit, this thing cost me over 1200$ Canadian. The locking pin has no adjustment front to back and when the seat is adjusted to align the pin, the seat interferes with the glove box. I had to remove the pin like its suggested in another thread. Even though the seat is now pushed back as much as possible, the front right part of the seat is rubbing on the plastic on the side of the glove box, that痴 surely gonna leave a nice mark over time. Also, one of the rubber bumper grommets was located exactly over the shock air valve, meaning the seat would apply pressure on it when down. I had to relocate the bumper.

As for comfort, I need a bit of saddle time before i値l comment.

Spyder Garage

I did a comparison of three seats, including the Corbin here>http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=seats+tall

In doing so, I installed and reinstalled the 3 seats a number of times. The Corbin seat is heavy and very solid. Once I figured out how to readjust the front/back position, the pin would seat correctly. I kept the back pins loosely tightened, closed the seat to insert the pin. Opened the seat while pushing backwards to not lose the back hinge position. Then tightened. It worked easily. I also discovered that after a bit of riding, the pin inserted correctly without much adjustment on installing again. The slight overlap into the glove box also went away. It just takes a bit of time in the saddle.

I didn't see this as a design flaw at all. It seemed that this seat had more "settling in time" than the BRP comfort seat which is quite flimsy in comparison.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default removing RT seat

Where can I find instructions on removing the seat on my RT I am buying a new seat and wonder how difficult it is to do this job
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I did a comparison of three seats, including the Corbin here>http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=seats+tall

In doing so, I installed and reinstalled the 3 seats a number of times. The Corbin seat is heavy and very solid. Once I figured out how to readjust the front/back position, the pin would seat correctly. I kept the back pins loosely tightened, closed the seat to insert the pin. Opened the seat while pushing backwards to not lose the back hinge position. Then tightened. It worked easily. I also discovered that after a bit of riding, the pin inserted correctly without much adjustment on installing again. The slight overlap into the glove box also went away. It just takes a bit of time in the saddle.

I didn't see this as a design flaw at all. It seemed that this seat had more "settling in time" than the BRP comfort seat which is quite flimsy in comparison.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Break in--the seat will be hard "forever." That is the Corbin way. Five hundred to a thousand miles will get your butt used to the Corbin--not the other way around. Us Corbin veterans refer to that as "extra support." You either like them or hate them.

I have had two and over 50,000 combined miles on both of them. Currently, I am using BRP "comfort" seats on both RT's.
    How does the comfort seat compare to the Corbin. I had a Corbin on my previous RT and loved it, best seat I've ever had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best way to get a custom seat (any seat from Corbin ro Ultimate or Russel Day Long) is to go get it fitted to your butt. Spending that much to get a standard fit just doesn't work. I just got one and find I have to be on the right side to lift it as it needs a little work to open. I'm also finding the pin is a bit loose in the seat pan and will either remove it completely or take it back in for them to fix. there are two permanent Corbin places in California and Florida. I believe they do travel and can arrange to make your seat at special rallies.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
    Where can I find instructions on removing the seat on my RT I am buying a new seat and wonder how difficult it is to do this job
    This is one of those times to do a search on it. However, the instructions were with the seats when I bought them.

It really isn't that hard.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    How does the comfort seat compare to the Corbin. I had a Corbin on my previous RT and loved it, best seat I've ever had.
    Night/day difference in my opinion. Corbin: solid, heavy, riveted, firm, esthetic. Comfort seat: flimsy, light, stapled, soft, generic.

I ended up selling my Corbin ONLY because it puts you a lot more forward than the BRP comfort seat. I'm about 6'3" and just couldn't ride like that. Loved the seat though.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I emailed Corbin to ask them, what if I spend $1000 and don't like the seat? They never replied to me, so that sealed the deal for me. I ended up finding a NOS Comfort Seat on Ebay for a song, so I jumped on it. I'm 6'3'' and feel like my boys ride in the glove box, especially with a passenger behind me, so I need something to move me back. My goal is to get a Daylong custom made over the winter with the stock seat pan, and ride on the Comfort Seat until I get the custom seat made. Daylong seemed to really understand the needs and wants I was giving them and even told me to get lots of pics of myself and my wife sitting on the Spyder so they could get the fit right. That impressed me.

Spyder Garage

Corbin customer service SUCKS! They know the seat doesn't fit right. They could care less. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post

It's not too difficult. There are instructions online and also some came with the seat. Take the old one off, laid them side-by-side and swapped parts with the new.

Three pieces of advice:
    1. After removing the passenger backrest, stuff a rag behind the seat to save parts from disappearing forever
    2. I added some tape over the nuts on the outer edges to trap them from falling out of the holders
    3. Get the Stanley? ratchet that works by twisting the handle. Makes things easier.

YMMV