Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Brake

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    It's a 16mm which prolly won't be very efficient. i looked for a 20+mm but didn't see anything. I didn't even know about the radial design until I had already ordered my parts. may have to backup and punt!
    Yeah I'm no expert on hydraulic brakes your setup may work fine for you. I just know I can't make hard stop with mine, but all normal stops it works fine. The original design by others used the 22mm and I think they have full or closer to full then I do. I hope it all works out. Even if you need to change out your master for a different one down the line you will still have saved a tone from your DIY.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger2 View Post
    I totaled my 2015 rt and wanted to know if u are interrested in mine that I took off my RT.If interested will sell cheap $250.00.email me.i bought it from isci.email me if u are interested.
    plugger2@verizon.net
    If anybody else is interested in brake from ASCIthe offer stands for anybody..
    That is a very good deal.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Angry yes

There is a complete hand break unit manufactured today
    I am a dealer I’ll be happy to sell you one
    give me a call most anytime for pricing and availability

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I think I will start work on designing a hand brake for my RTs. I had talked about this right after I bought the bike. Is there anything already on the market that I can look at? No need to re-invent the wheel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    There is a complete hand break unit manufactured today
    I am a dealer I’ll be happy to sell you one
    give me a call most anytime for pricing and availability
    Dave, are you selling the ISCI kit ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default hand brake

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I think I will start work on designing a hand brake for my RTs. I had talked about this right after I bought the bike. Is there anything already on the market that I can look at? No need to re-invent the wheel.
    I am working on one for my RSS. The one on the market is quite intricate and also operates both brakes at the same time. eg when you push the foot brake the hand brake operates. I am looking at one that operates separately. We should keep in touch on progress?
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

YES

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Dave, are you selling the ISCI kit ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nokesy View Post
    I am working on one for my RSS. The one on the market is quite intricate and also operates both brakes at the same time. eg when you push the foot brake the hand brake operates. I am looking at one that operates separately. We should keep in touch on progress?
    I think this is a VERY BAD idea.....and maybe not even possible.
    Don't all Spyders have "linked" ABS with stability control ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    WOW, WHAT A BUY! and here I am only 60 miles from you.
    Sure, I'll buy that. call me. 304-269-6595

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huked View Post
    I along with many others have built their own. I spent about $300 + time. I will give you links to the how to's I looked at as well as places you can get the parts. Then I will show you what I went with.

These links will take you to very well done how to's and talk with pictures on others ideas.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tive-to-Cables

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...46#post1125746

These links are just two places you can find the parts listed in the first two links.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Slave-C...ype-P4587.aspx

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650...-assembly.html

I used the same master as the rest because I could not find another that would work better. I did use a different Master as I liked it better. I did give up a bit of braking power I believe, due to a smaller 20mm bore. I did not have to modify my master to fit as the others did and I like the look better. I have only had one time where the hand brake was not enough and that was on a steep grade. The foot brake it still fully functional and during an emergency I alway use both just like with a bike, so no problems there.

Here are the links to my master and to where I got my line.

https://www.2fastmoto.com/2FastMoto-...uki_p_212.html

http://www.venhillusa.com/make-your-...ke-line-1.html

I used the Nexus thread in your first link to make mine. Works ok but not quite as effectively as I would like.
    However, if I use both hand & footbrake to stop, it stops on a dime.

I will think about the Suzuki radial m/c.
    Also the silver foot peg bracket to which the slave is bolted, flexes a little outwards when the handbrake is applied hard.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I used the Nexus thread in your first link to make mine. Works ok but not quite as effectively as I would like.

I will think about the Suzuki radial m/c.
    Also the silver foot peg bracket to which the slave is bolted, flexes a little outwards when the handbrake is applied hard.

Yeah I would like it to stop a bit better, but overall it works well. Normal driving conditions, just coming to a gradual stop at intersections and such, or just slowing down in general it is good. I always use both if I need to stop in a hurry, just like when riding on two wheels.

I love the look and feel of my radial m/c. You can adjust the reach some, but if you have small hands like I do it can be just at the fingertips. There is more adjustment if needed, but if you bring it in anymore then it hits the switch housing. A bit of trimming on the brake handle radius and you would clear.

Did you used the same m/c in the nexus thread, the first m/c I linked? If you did that one I think may give you getter braking then my m/c. Someone may know better then I on that though.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    The OEM foot brake used by itself will do that too, unless you have physical limitation on being able to push the brake pedal down hard. At Wing Ding 2016 I took the Trike Rider Course. Part of it was practicing panic stops. I slammed down on the brake going maybe 25 or 30 mph. Instantly, I was wearing the windshield for a bib! I'm a long way from being a skinny 100# teenager!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huked View Post

Did you used the same m/c in the nexus thread, the first m/c I linked? If you did that one I think may give you getter braking then my m/c. Someone may know better then I on that though.

Yes, the Yamaha dual front disc one ( though it says Honda XS 650) with 22mm diameter bore.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc