Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS brake problem

The left front brake caliper is hanging up. Dealer wants $1,072.00 to replace. Part available on the internet for less than $200. Dealer says it is 3 hours just to bleed the brakes. This sounds crazy to me. Is this right?
    I have changed brakes on a car. Is this that much different. Is it something I can do?
    Is the dealer ripping me off?
    I told him I would wait so I am not committed.
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Changing the caliper is easy and you can do that yourself. The trouble is bleeding the brakes. You need BUDS to be able to completely bleed the brakes from the ABS system.

I'm currently R&Ring my brake system due to corrosion of the brake lines and aesthetics of the calipers. Since i'm in Hawaii and there is no Can Am dealers here, i'm trying to find a way to completely bleed the brakes without using BUDS. First thing i'm going to try is to bleed all the brakes as best I can. Then i'll try to activate the ABS pump by putting the spyder up on jack stands, removing the caliper that I want to bleed off the rotor and to the side near the A-Arm, spin the other two tires and depress the brakes lightly. This in theory should activate the ABS pump on the tire that isn't rotating. Of course i'll have to be bleeding the caliper while depressing the brakes and make sure that there is a spacer between the brake pads on the caliper that i'm bleeding. Hoping that this will activate the pump and force the air out of it. I'll also need 2-3 people to make this work. Follow my thread to see if it works.

Spyder Garage

I suppose this is just to easy but can you use a vacuum pump to bleed them? I changed brakes on a vehicle once and just could't bleed them. Used a marine oil vacuum tank and it pulled the fluid through the system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmcb View Post
    I suppose this is just to easy but can you use a vacuum pump to bleed them?
    I believe you can and what little fluid you can not get out of the abs unit will not matter. What I have heard is make sure you do not turn the key on during the bleeding, that will or may throw a code and then you'll need the BUDS.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a video showing how this guy replaced his brake fluid.

Spyder Garage

I've read that you can use a vacuum pump to bleed everything, but I don't have access to one. I've also read that people have tried and tried to bleed their brakes and could not get rid of the soft brake pedal until it was taken to the dealer to remove air trapped in the ABS system. BUDS will activate the ABS pump to push the air out of the unit. Since my brake system was disassembled in its entirety, i'm sure i'm going to have a lot of air trapped in the ABS pump. When I purchased the spyder, it was already throwing the codes for the brakes. The codes will disappear once you've corrected the problems, but will be stored in memory that it happened.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

According to the BRP flat rate manual....caliper 1.3 hours and bleeding/replacing fluid 3.0. Thing is if you are only changing the caliper you would only need to you do not need to do the whole system. They also have included the BUDS needed to bleed and flush the nanny controled section. If the brake is hanging up what is the reason. Could just need new pins or piston seals. I would pull the caliper apart and pop the piston out remove the seals and clean it all up. Some times it is only dirt under the seals. If it is a damaged caliper then you will have to replace it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've talked to a dealer in California regarding replacement parts for the caliper, they said not available. Only thing available is a replacement caliper. If your seals and pistons on the caliper is all good, then you've lucked out and just need to clean, lube, and reassemble. If the seal is no good, then you'll have to find a replacement seal at the autoparts store. At this rate, i'd just replace the caliper because its a pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble.