Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery replacement for the 1330 RT

The Spyders are so sensitive to Electrics
    I found this out today
    Last week I replaced my 3 year old OEM battery ready for my European trip in July with an Odsessy PC680
    I had used this battery for 4 years on my previous Spyder RT 998 SE5 without any issues
    My current Spyder RT SE6 2015 cut out with loss of power on our recent run, I turned the ignition off then on all appeared ok
    Yesterday I cleaned it ready to take it to OHG (UK Dealer)
    Today ready for Service & MOT when I started it up as I put it into gear and it stalled again it restarted ok

Advice from Scott (OHG Can-am Dealer Mechanic) was to check & clean the Kill switch, Battery terminals and lubricate the ignition
    Today as I left for OHG I got down the road about 400 meters and the Limp mode came on along with the Engine management component malfunction warning light
    Went back home turned ignition off / on all ok
    Set off again (06:15) about 1 mile down the road Limp mode / Engine management component malfunction back on again
    Got home and was going to contact OHG after 09:00 to arrange recovery, As I still had my 3 year old battery I decided to swap the batteries over
    At 07:30 after struggling to refit the OEM Battery (Tight fit believe me)
    Spyder fired up decided to go for it
    3 Hours later I arrived at OHG no issues Scott checked on Buds no faults,
    Great service from OHG as usual
    Service & MOT done return journey no issues Spyder running normally back home by 16:15 Total 266 trouble free miles
    Thank goodness I didn’t damage any of those expensive components
    I would recommend any one replacing their battery stick with the OEM one or at least ensure a replacement will be suitable for the model of Spyder you have
    Maybe someone can state which alternative Battery they have fitted and not had any issue with on their Spyder RT
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 04-19-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default bATTERY

I have read of others having issues with this battery over the years ..... Others have claimed this battery is the BEST in the world ......... But from all the bad ones I've read about ..I would stay with the yuasa brand ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just replaced the battery in our 2014 RT with a factory-activated OEM Yuasa battery. It was a preemptive replacement as the original battery was well maintained and functioning. However, it seemed to be laboring on a few recent starts despite being kept on a battery tender and I didn't want to run the risk of having a problem while on the road during the upcoming riding season, especially on my wife's ride. Yuasa makes an excellent product and i don't think the battery on a Spyder is something with which to experiment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    I would recommend any one replacing their battery stick with the OEM one or at least ensure a replacement will be suitable for the model of Spyder you have
    Maybe someone can state which alternative Battery they have fitted and not had any issue with on their Spyder RT
    Any "name brand" AGM battery of the proper physical size and the right kind of terminals should be fine.
    12 volts is 12 volts.

Spyder Garage

Lubricate the ignition ? Is that what a mechanic on that side of the pond calls a two martini lunch ?

this really brings a smile to my face. We DO speak the same language don't we?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can you confirm what Moto-batt battery is required for the Spyder RT SE6 1330 model
    I.e. Moto-batt part number
    in his video it shows MBTX24U
    Lamonster cannot ship a battery outside the US I therefore need to purchase one if available in the UK
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Yuasa OEM battery is widely respected.
    ANY bike shop and some battery stores can get them for you, probably a bit cheaper than your Spyder dealer.

Trying to scrimp and save a few pennies sometimes ends up costing you more in the end.

Spyder Garage

Default I have one

I bought one of Lamont's MotoBatt batteries. It has a 4 post design so you don't
    have to double up. It seems to work fine but was disappointed to see it was made in
    China. A Yuasa battery can be bought from some vendors on this forum. I'll have to see
    how long the MotoBatt lasts, mine is 2 years old.
    Chuck