Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Water in the cylinders using JT's air cleaner

Anyone have a water problem using JT's air cleaner on a 998 engine.... If so, how does the water get in the cylinders. Any information will be appreciated...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Never had a problem. How do you know it is getting into the cylinders through the air cleaner...?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

& with all the ethanol in our gas as it is

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Anyone have a water problem using JT's air cleaner on a 998 engine........
    Why do you ask??

Similar 'oil filled foam' filters are frequently used in a variety of places to STOP any water getting past the air filter - properly cleaned & serviced, a fine oil filled foam filter can prevent mist & rain, spray, etc from getting sucked thru & into the engine with the charge air; they can even force an engine shut down & avoid internal engine damage if they get soaked & blocked by water & in doing so restrict the air flow necessary for the engine to keep running; and they'll do that in situations where a standard 'paper' filter, once it gets wet, will just let water run straight thru & in doing so, can cause the destruction of the engine - at the extreme end, broken pistons & crank outside the block type destruction!!?

So why do ask?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Why do you ask??

Similar 'oil filled foam' filters are frequently used in a variety of places to STOP any water getting past the air filter - properly cleaned & serviced, a fine oil filled foam filter can prevent mist & rain, spray, etc from getting sucked thru & into the engine with the charge air; they can even force an engine shut down & avoid internal engine damage if they get soaked & blocked by water & in doing so restrict the air flow necessary for the engine to keep running; and they'll do that in situations where a standard 'paper' filter, once it gets wet, will just let water run straight thru & in doing so, can cause the destruction of the engine - at the extreme end, broken pistons & crank outside the block type destruction!!?

So why do ask?
    I disagree. A foam filter will allow water to pass through with minimal restriction once the filter becomes wet. My experience Saturday had the oiled foam filter on my trials motorcycle get wet. The water, while realatively cleaned, passed through the air filter, entered the carb, and worked its way into the float bowl killing the engine.

Spyder Garage

Default water

If you had water in the float bowl it was from the fuel. No way for water to get there through carb to bowl.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no float bowl in the fuel injection setup for our bikes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

Just reading through here I would ask if this is one of the 2013 models with the modified body panels and do they allow water through to the engine compartment. This would allow water to reach the air filter which is not on the standard pre 13 models or those without the change. Still I don't see it as a problem if you have a K&N type oil soaked filter. If this should be the case your engine would start to starve for air as it is hard to suck the water through the filter. What effect is your question doing to your ryding...?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Anyone have a water problem using JT's air cleaner on a 998 engine.... If so, how does the water get in the cylinders. Any information will be appreciated...
    Ramrover, by the way you worded your question, are you just asking a theoretical question, like is it possible? Or did you have an engine that had a JT's air cleaner AND water in the engine? Just curious.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's the reason for the question?

Spyder Garage

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Never had a problem. How do you know it is getting into the cylinders through the air cleaner...?

I have not had any problem, but I have read a few posts online about water intrusion during heavy downpours..... I am just concerned, don't want to ruin my engine....

Spyder Garage

I have not had any problem, but I have read a few posts online about water intrusion during heavy downpours..... I am just concerned, don't want to ruin my engine....
    I think you are safe. If it happened to you I believe that would be a first.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Ramrover, by the way you worded your question, are you just asking a theoretical question, like is it possible? Or did you have an engine that had a JT's air cleaner AND water in the engine? Just curious.
    I have not had a problem, but I have not ridden in heavy rain or let the bike sit in heavy downpours... I asked the question because I have seen a few posts of spyder owners that claim to have had the problem....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yellowperil View Post
    If you had water in the float bowl it was from the fuel. No way for water to get there through carb to bowl.
    No, it is possible to pass water into the float bowl via the air inlet bell then down the main nozzle emulsion tube.

Water will pass through a foam air filter even properly oiled with foam filter oil.

FWIW, and I appreciate your logic the water was in the fuel, however, when I removed the subframe and airbox, then tipped the airbox to see if water had entered past the filter, a Dixie Cups amount of water poured from the airbox.

The airbox runs filtered air and has no drains. One way for water to enter is only passing through the oiled foam filter.

The question was asked will water pass through an oiled foam filter and yes it will.
    Last edited by PMK; 04-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have not had that problem and I have driven through some very heavy rains.
    However, The screen on my filter was rusty.
    If you need the filter number ask and I will look it up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you know you have water in the cylinders?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not had a problem, but I have not ridden in heavy rain or let the bike sit in heavy downpours... I asked the question because I have seen a few posts of spyder owners that claim to have had the problem....
    Ride more, worry less.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Unlikely, but possible

Spyderfish here, 2013 STS, with JT air cleaner. Love the filter, takes away the need for the external scoops, allows access to the engine, and adds a certain edge to the soundprint. Here is what I see wrt the filter

The top of the air filter is concave, with the retaining stud dead center in the deepest part of the concave bowl. Overhead, the steering column is metal mesh, rain easily passes through. A rare coincidence of a heavy rain coupled with a small gap in the mounting stud, could allow water to pass through the mesh, collect in the top cover bowl and then pass through a gap between the stud bolt and the top cover. The water would not touch the filter element, straight into the throttle body.

Not a high probability, but enough to make me install an inverted pie pan over the cover. The pie pan is a couple inches larger in diameter than the filter, it has a flat top, and there is a rubber seal around the bolt. No water is going to collect or drain.

8 bucks brings a fair share of peace of mind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfish View Post

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Spyderfish here, 2013 STS, with JT air cleaner. Love the filter, takes away the need for the external scoops, allows access to the engine, and adds a certain edge to the soundprint. Here is what I see wrt the filter

The top of the air filter is concave, with the retaining stud dead center in the deepest part of the concave bowl. Overhead, the steering column is metal mesh, rain easily passes through. A rare coincidence of a heavy rain coupled with a small gap in the mounting stud, could allow water to pass through the mesh, collect in the top cover bowl and then pass through a gap between the stud bolt and the top cover. The water would not touch the filter element, straight into the throttle body.

Not a high probability, but enough to make me install an inverted pie pan over the cover. The pie pan is a couple inches larger in diameter than the filter, it has a flat top, and there is a rubber seal around the bolt. No water is going to collect or drain.

David

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WATER SEEPAGE

....Question ....could the filter Cover be flipped to avoid the problem ?????? ...............Thanks Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Question ....could the filter Cover be flipped to avoid the problem ?????? ...............Thanks Mike
    Here are some before and after pics showing the filter before and after pie plate water shield. The filter attachment in the center is actually a bolt with lock washer, not a threaded stud, bad memory.

There is about 1 inch between the shield and the filter around the perimeter, I do not believe there is any suppression of airflow. This space could be filled with the foam wrapper from JT, but II have left it open.

As far as inverdion, I believe the bottom of the top plate of the filter housing is machined to have a flat surface that matches the seal on the filter element. Not totally sure on this.

Hope this helps clarify.

Spyderfish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ride more, worry less.

Spyder Garage

Here are some before and after pics showing the filter before and after pie plate water shield. The filter attachment in the center is actually a bolt with lock washer, not a threaded stud, bad memory.

There is about 1 inch between the shield and the filter around the perimeter, I do not believe there is any suppression of airflow. This space could be filled with the foam wrapper from JT, but II have left it open.

As far as inverdion, I believe the bottom of the top plate of the filter housing is machined to have a flat surface that matches the seal on the filter element. Not totally sure on this.

Hope this helps clarify.

Spyderfish
    Did it quiet it up any at all. I know mine is loud.
    David

Spyder Garage

Smile Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Did it quiet it up any at all. I know mine is loud.
    David
    Sound level seems the same, loud enough for ear protection when accelerating. Foam might help, but I am dubious. The new open space above the engine is great for cooling and access, but is does act as a sound intensifier.

I just wear ear protection.