Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Are there any different sprocket sizes that work?

I'm going to think out load here a minute. Maybe there is a solution I can't find. This F3 runs at what I think is ridicules RPMs at 70 mph. I always thought my Goldwing needed another gear. But this F3 needs something. Anyone with any ideas? I am sure this has been ask a 1000 different ways, so thx in advance
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Default It will cost you

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    I'm going to think out load here a minute. Maybe there is a solution I can't find. This F3 runs at what I think is ridicules RPMs at 70 mph. I always thought my Goldwing needed another gear. But this F3 needs something. Anyone with any ideas? I am sure this has been ask a 1000 different ways, so thx in advance
    The RT uses higher gearing, as do the the F3s sold in Australia and some other places.

You need to change the drive sprocket or pulley, the drive belt, and one or two ECUs (electronic control units), otherwise the system runs in limp home mode only.

At least one person started down this road several years ago but gave up after ending up in limp home mode after changing belt and drive sprocket.

Spyder Garage

If you think the F3 is busy at 70, then you don't remember the RTs, etc. that had one less tranny gear! Those engines were screaming all the time. And, there was a reason for the higher rpm: The previous generation engines didn't have the power to pull a higher gear. I don't think the F3 has the power to use another gear that would move the rpm further from it's power band. A good example of power band is the fact that so many 6-speed cars reach their topspeed in 5th gear. 7,8,9 and 10 speed cars don't reach topspeed in top gear, either. You can't just gear higher (lower rpm) and expect to be in an efficient rpm range.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

thx guys. So it will not hurt to be traveling at 4 grand all the time? Just seems a lot of vibration. I have the belt tensioner.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My findings this past week

89 T rear sprocket Spyders turn 3950 @ 70 MPH with the 225/50/15 rear tire

79 T rear sprocket Spyders turn 3600/3650 @ 70 MPH with the 215/60/15 rear tire

My 2014 RTS will have a 89 T rear sprocket as soon as the parts arrive and Monster gets the reflash done...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    thx guys. So it will not hurt to be traveling at 4 grand all the time? Just seems a lot of vibration. I have the belt tensioner.
    Get a cricket gauge and check the tension on your belt. You'll prob find it too high or what is now considered "old spec". I took my gauge to my dealer when I was hanging out waiting for a rear tire change and for kicks checked a few of the new ones on the showroom floor....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Cost?

Hi Larry, can you break down the cost, sprockets vs. flash. I believe you told me this is also a belt? perhaps you can sell your lower geared sprocket set up to the poster?
    To get about a 20% power increase with the flash and the powerful / quick lower gearing, your RT should be the fastest one on the planet.
    My F3L has the same gearing as the op's F3S and I too find myself wishing for another gear on the interstate.
    I ended up with about the same exhaust configuration as Hyperone and I have the ECU flash. Holy crap, does my machine fly. Giddy and smiling from ear to ear every time I open it up.
    Easily the best performance upgrade for the price I have invested in any of my cycles.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    89 T rear sprocket Spyders turn 3950 @ 70 MPH with the 225/50/15 rear tire

79 T rear sprocket Spyders turn 3600/3650 @ 70 MPH with the 215/60/15 rear tire

My 2014 RTS will have a 89 T rear sprocket as soon as the parts arrive and Monster gets the reflash done...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Costs of parts to change RT from 79 T. to 89 T. rear sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Hi Larry, can you break down the cost, sprockets vs. flash. I believe you told me this is also a belt? perhaps you can sell your lower geared sprocket set up to the poster?
    To get about a 20% power increase with the flash and the powerful / quick lower gearing, your RT should be the fastest one on the planet.
    My F3L has the same gearing as the op's F3S and I too find myself wishing for another gear on the interstate.
    I ended up with about the same exhaust configuration as Hyperone and I have the ECU flash. Holy crap, does my machine fly. Giddy and smiling from ear to ear every time I open it up.
    Easily the best performance upgrade for the price I have invested in any of my cycles.
    Dennis
    Here it is Dennis, 705502157 Belt $232.48 705502187 Sprocket $301.82 Monster Flash with return postage $380.00 TOTAL $915.00...I will do the parts swap out myself...Its just a little more of the kid's inheritance GONE!!!