Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena Noise Control Helmet

I just ordered the new Sena Momentum Inc. Helmet, which has intelligent noise control built in. I hate ear plugs, I also hate full face helmets but I’m willing to go full face if it will save my hearing.

I’ll give an update after I have a week or two to break it in.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I'd be very interested in your observations about Sena's helmet. I'm also curious to know why you hate full face helmets? I've been wearing full face and modular helmets since we at Thistle Racing Limited were the first to compete wearing a full face helmet (the original Bell Star) at Snetterton Circuit, UK, in the late 1960s.

There have been quantum leaps in weight, protection effectiveness, noise reduction and aerodynamics (after a fashion) since those days many years ago. And, although I've not fallen off for quite some time, I'm interested in protecting my chin and jaw which, according to research, is injured in almost 38% of motorcycle accidents.

And for what it's worth I still have a half inch scar just to the left of my nose inflicted in the mid 1960s by what must have been a two pound June bug made of depleted uranium. It struck me while I was wearing an open face helmet - and it hurt like blazes not to mention causing me to bleed all over the place.

Still, it's to each his (or her) own. I hope the Sena helmet turns out to be a good investment.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA's New Monteum Helmet

Hi Everyone this is just a note to those who want to get the new
    SENA Momentum Helmet with the Noise control.....
    They are NOT out yet
    Don't let anyone kid you....
    If you do get one ??? I am sure SENA would love to know about it
    Call SENA in San Jose Ca. at 925-255-8936
    I DO HOWEVER have the
    Momentum helmets WITHOUT the Noise control feature available in all sizes
    right now.
    I can take orders for the one above with that feature but you will not get it
    for a while, SENA says maybe June or July...
    Just a heads up for you so you will know the latest
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-17-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dave, it looks like you may be correct, as usual!

Revzilla lists them but it states that it is a pre-order only! Quite the pricing little thing.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smart-helmet

I am guessing that it has a Sena 20 unit, as it is limited to 8 connections and I think that the 30 is almost unlimited. But then why would you want to have more than 8 people barking at you while on a ryde?
    Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 04-17-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a Shoie Neotec Modular with Sena 30K, very quiet setup
    Ride safe!
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

I have the helmets in with out the noise control feature they come with the
    10S and or the 20S headsets in them. depending on what one you want.
    I am always the lowest price.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Dave, it looks like you may be correct, as usual!

Revzilla lists them but it states that it is a pre-order only! Quite the pricing little thing.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smart-helmet

I am guessing that it has a Sena 20 unit, as it is limited to 8 connections and I think that the 30 is almost unlimited. But then why would you want to have more than 8 people barking at you while on a ryde?
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I'd be very interested in your observations about Sena's helmet. I'm also curious to know why you hate full face helmets?
    I’ve always found full face helmets to be hot, and I like the wind I get in my face from a 3/4 or modular helmet. However, I’ve willing to give that up to protect my hearing.

When I had the one motorcycle wreck I had, I happened to be wearing my modular helmet with the face portion closed. When I looked at the helmet afterwards there were deep scratches across the face.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Everyone this is just a note to those who want to get the new
    SENA Momentum Helmet with the Noise control.....
    They are NOT out yet
    Don't let anyone kid you....
    If you do get one ??? I am sure SENA would love to know about it
    Curious (and potentially disappointing). After 3 years of advertising these as “coming soon”, the website finally changed and they are now providing them in their online store. Further, some sizes/colors are listed as “Out of Stock” which would indicate that the others are in stock.

I got an email from Sena after I ordered the helmet which states “We have all items in stock for your order”. and that it will ship in a couple of days.

I’ll keep you posted.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could it be that you have ordered the Momentum Helmet with OUT the noise cancellation feature....which is available? There is one review on Revzilla .
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Here’s what my email from SENA says:

Order Summary:

Item Qty Description Options Rate Amount
    Momentum INC, Intelligent Noise Control Helmet, Full Face, Glossy White, L size, DOT 1 Momentum INC, Intelligent Noise Control Helmet, Full Face, Glossy White, Pinlock, L size, DOT $549.00 $549.00
    Tax $0.00
    Total $549.00

2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Check out the 2 posts I put up today

I posted 2 SENA videos today here on this forum about the new helmets
    they both say the one you ordered is not available as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Here’s what my email from SENA says:

Order Summary:

Item Qty Description Options Rate Amount
    Momentum INC, Intelligent Noise Control Helmet, Full Face, Glossy White, L size, DOT 1 Momentum INC, Intelligent Noise Control Helmet, Full Face, Glossy White, Pinlock, L size, DOT $549.00 $549.00
    Tax $0.00
    Total $549.00

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I posted 2 SENA videos today here on this forum about the new helmets
    they both say the one you ordered is not available as yet.
    I guess I'll know whatever they're delivering tomorrow. Today they tried to deliver it but no one was home to sign for it. So, tomorrow I'm picking it up at a UPS store. Dave, I hope you're wrong but I've been waiting for this for so long that I'm still skeptical.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I got the helmet today - it's beautiful. I got the Large based on the measurements the website said to make, but it feels a bit snug. It comes with some smaller earpads to make it a bit larger inside and I'm going to try them next.

I've not had a chance to try it yet, so all I know about the noise control is where the button is. With luck, I'll be ryding 6 or 7 hours tomorrow and will give a more complete report.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are two white one available. I want a black one but since my Shark is only 5 months old I'll have to wait.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Lowdown on Momentum, Inc.

I got this helmet in white, like my two Shoei helmets. Quality seemed the same - good paint, good stitching and the product has a solid feel to it. The built in electronics are essentially the Sena 20S system but without the rotary knob which I kind of missed. That gives the device one less button so there are more button pushes that required you to press and hold.

Even before the INC (Intelligent Sound Control) feature, the helmet is fairly quiet. I switched INC off and on all day today as I rode (about 8 hours) to see the difference, and my conclusion is that it works although perhaps not as dramatically as I'd expected. At times, turn INC from ON to OFF had no noticeable effect, other times it was a lot quieter. Road noise was virtually gone, and wind noise was dramatically reduced. Most shocking was that there was a loud Harley riding with our group today and with INC on it went from a rumble to a soft purr. Perhaps most telling was that when I put my Shoie J-Cruise 3/4 helmet on for a bit I elected that I'd put the Sena on at the next stop.

My one complaint was the fit, and this is probably NOT Sena's fault. I ordered the helmet according to their sizing guide, and I could tell from the moment I first put it on that it was really tight. However, I looked up multiple articles and videos on helmet fitting and they all showed that helmets that fit looked like this one did on me. I suspect the issue is that I've always worn my helmets too loosely.

The helmet comes with some thinner earpad coverings I'm going to put on, and several articles said to take a soccer ball, put it in a small helmet, inflate it and leave it for a few days. I'll either do that or sell this one (at a loss) and buy an XL.

Overall, yes this product works.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!