Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer hitch

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer hitch

I think I have seen on here where all RTs use the same trailer hitch. I would appreciate if those in the know could either confirm or deny this. I have found for sale several Can Am hitches for a very good price but the seller didn't know who the manufacture was. In the pictures they appear to be genuine BRP but won't know until tomorrow when I go look.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP hitch.......

Will have the red "Y" logo on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are cheaper third party hitches and harnesses. BRP is not the only one who makes and sells them for the RT.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There are cheaper third party hitches and harnesses. BRP is not the only one who makes and sells them for the RT.

From what I can see in the photos he furnished they match the BRP hitches listed on Ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    But it is the only one I'd put on my Spyder. OlJim, I had a BRP hitch from a 2012 on my 2014 RT and it fit fine.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    But it is the only one I'd put on my Spyder. OlJim, I had a BRP hitch from a 2012 on my 2014 RT and it fit fine.
    We have a BRP hitch on our 2011 RT it works very good. Well made and very stable.

Spyder Garage

Do not pay too much for it. New, the hitch kit is $529.99. So if you get the complete hitch kit used. That would make the value used about half, $260.00. Most of the time the used hitch does not have the complete wiring harness. That's half the value of the hitch kit. Without harness the hitch is only worth $130.00 in good condition.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default RT hitches

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    From what I can see in the photos he furnished they match the BRP hitches listed on Ebay.

Hmmm... I don't want to be a pain, but when I traded my 2011 for a 2016, the dealer told me the old hitch doesn't fit the new model.

Now, I am looking at the 2018. Again, he is telling me the old hitch and harness doesn't fit the new model.

Can anyone verify this? If it's true, then we obviously need to know what year hitch fits our bikes.

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Hmmm... I don't want to be a pain, but when I traded my 2011 for a 2016, the dealer told me the old hitch doesn't fit the new model.

Now, I am looking at the 2018. Again, he is telling me the old hitch and harness doesn't fit the new model.

Can anyone verify this? If it's true, then we obviously need to know what year hitch fits our bikes.

There is quite a bit of info here. https://www.brppartspro.com/can-am-t...uctid=18202747

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ann, the OP was asking if others made hitches for the RT besides BRP, because he was looking at buying a used one but wasn't sure if it is OEM.
    OEM is my preference also for all running gear.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BRP is listing the Trailer Hitch Kit And Control Module for the 2018 RT as part number 219400854. The part number listed for the 2010 - 2017 RT kit is listed as 219400432. The module and wiring harness between the two kits have different individual part numbers, but no indication that the hitch itself is different as no part number for that piece is given. There have been some reports on here that the 2010 - 2017 kit is no longer available, but the on-line store shows them both as available. So, if you're looking at a 2018 now, then it has a new kit just for it. Whether your dealer can get it or not is another story.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...cessories.html

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default BBP

I got hitch and wiring from Big Bike Parts. The hitch worked perfect. Instruction for both were great.

Spyder Garage

Love LOVE your Dealer(stealer) boy oh boy, they just assume you will bite the bullet and buy there.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my hitch and harness from www.canamspyderaccessories.com .

Pierre was very informative for the installation with the videos on the website, I felt that I got a great deal and I truly believe that his hitch is a much better looking design than the others.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

OK here's what the deal was. Hitches are pull offs. He had seven all together but only one harness. I got the one with the harness for $75.00. How about it did I get a good deal? This is the BRP hitch and wiring harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OlJim; 04-17-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

you got an awesome deal. I am getting my BRP hitch installed on fri. My dealer dropped the MSRP price to $650.00 ( this is Canadian) That was the full kit with wiring harness.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

I'm not sure I got everything needed to wire this to a 2011 RT. What I got was a harness about 3 ft long with a nine pin connector on one end and a flat four pin on the other. Is this cable right and what else do I need. Hitch fits perfect.harness.jpg

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I got everything needed to wire this to a 2011 RT. What I got was a harness about 3 ft long with a nine pin connector on one end and a flat four pin on the other. Is this cable right and what else do I need. Hitch fits perfect.harness.jpg
    Well, unless you already have the corresponding 9 pin module installed on your 2011 RT for that harness to plug into, then that harness is completely useless to you. No, you didn't get everything, and you won't find that old 9 pin module anywhere unless you pull it off another RT. What you have is either the tongue harness section from an RT 622 trailer, or something someone made up to adapt to a certain trailer.

But all is not lost. You have the hitch at a good price. Based on the trailer that you have / going to buy, determine if you need a 4 wire or 5 wire connector. If a 4 wire trailer, just buy this harness:

http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...its-2010-2017/

If a 5 wire trailer, buy this harness:

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...2&GroupGuid=16

Then you're done with it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-17-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

That is a home made adapter someone made. Not really any use to you. Not the end of the world. I don't know your wiring skill level. That may make a difference the solution you choose to get or make a harness.

You could buy all the parts from BRP. It would be plug and play and not that hard to install. But the parts would be $200 plus.

Or could buy the harness from Spyder Accessories. It's plug a play and should be easy to install. But I do not recommend it because of the module he uses. It is the cheaper module that does not isolate the trailer from the Spyder.

Or could buy the Show Chrome harness. It is harder to install and ends in bare 5 wires. If your trailer is a 5 wire system just add the matching plug for your trailer. If not you have to wire in a 5 to 4 converter.

Or could just buy BRPs Y harness for $39.99. That would just plug in. Then make your own custom harness from there. Get the parts from the autoparts or trailer store. Maybe $40 to $50
    Last edited by billybovine; 04-17-2018 at 06:31 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

Thanks Snowbelt Spyder. I just finished watching Pierre's installation videos on You Tube. Don't have a trailer yet, I just bought the hitch since it looked like a good deal and I will still come out a lot cheaper than the $569 they want for the BRP setup.

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

Thanks Billy. I was once the wireshop supervisor of a company that builds airplane simulators. Of course you know what they say, those that can, do, Those that can't supervise. LOL

Spyder Garage

My experience is that there are some scum dealers who will tell you that the valve caps on your old tires won't fit on your new tires, so ya gotta just buy new ones. By the way, your GPS unit won't even work on the new Spyder, so just buy a new one. Don't fall for that crap.

The hitch will work on the 2018. Make sure you move the wiring harness, too.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 with factory hitch here, wouldn't consider anything else

Spyder Garage

The trick about the factory hitch is.... if you a spyder still under warranty, AND you want to keep that warranty, then you HAVE to use a factory hitch. (Oh and a BRP trailer) or your warranty is void. Read the fine print of your documents.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    The trick about the factory hitch is.... if you a spyder still under warranty, AND you want to keep that warranty, then you HAVE to use a factory hitch. (Oh and a BRP trailer) or your warranty is void. Read the fine print of your documents.

Ray
    Sorry you need to read the fine print again. I quote from the hitch description. "Only system on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements." That does not say if you use an aftermarket hitch your warranty is void. Do not change the words and meaning.

2018 F3 LIMITED