Spyder Garage

Default The coming Ice Age

I recently saw this video regarding the cyclical ice ages we experience. They do touch a bit on how other planets effect our orbit. They did not discuss changes on the Sun or magnetic field shifts. But it is a complex subject and it can't all be covered in a fifteen minute video. It would be an irony if our activity staves off an ice age. But I do know humans are adaptable and we can deal with any extremes in weather. I mean, we thrived during the last ice age with very little technology.

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It's been said, that history/weather repeats itself, no matter how many millions of years ago it was! Mac

Spyder Garage

Interesting video------ left out the whole variable star effect though. I think it's kind of like machining tolerances. If they " stack up" there is going to be a problem. I think it's the same with our climate. When all the things that effect the earths climate " stack up " to cause warming or cooling------ we get climate change.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Biblical says it will burn which i think will be from nuclear war.
    JMO

Spyder Garage

Default Ice age

Ice ages occur in a 60,000 year cycle. Last one was 20,000 + years ago. Don't panic.

Look for a TV series "ORBIT"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    But I do know humans are adaptable and we can deal with any extremes in weather. I mean, we thrived during the last ice age with very little technology.
    I'm not sure how you would classify "we thrived during the last ice age". Something resembling humans did survive but I doubt they "thrived".

Think about this though.....Just what would happen to our society should we be locked in an "eternal" winter (as the Ice Age lasts much longer than one terrible MN winter). Think of the energy that would be consumed trying to stay alive (never mind just warm). And what would we farm and eat? Not many crops I am aware of grow well in very low temps. Food from lakes and oceans would be scarce as the waters cooled and at some point many types of seafood would cease to reproduce in ice cold water. Animals farmed for food would diminish in numbers as their food supplies refused to grow in the snow. As more snow fell the result would be reflection of the sun's warming rays and yet more cooling. The ability of Earth to support the billions of people now on the planet would decline by major percentages.

A very few very hardy individuals may outlast the next ice age but I would not call it "thriving".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I'm not sure how you would classify "we thrived during the last ice age". Something resembling humans did survive but I doubt they "thrived".

Think about this though.....Just what would happen to our society should we be locked in an "eternal" winter (as the Ice Age lasts much longer than one terrible MN winter). Think of the energy that would be consumed trying to stay alive (never mind just warm). And what would we farm and eat? Not many crops I am aware of grow well in very low temps. Food from lakes and oceans would be scarce as the waters cooled and at some point many types of seafood would cease to reproduce in ice cold water. Animals farmed for food would diminish in numbers as their food supplies refused to grow in the snow. As more snow fell the result would be reflection of the sun's warming rays and yet more cooling. The ability of Earth to support the billions of people now on the planet would decline by major percentages.

A very few very hardy individuals may outlast the next ice age but I would not call it "thriving".
    Well, I'm glad I've "stocked-up" in the fat department and didn't go on that diet my doctor has been busting my Ba$#'s about for the last couple of years! I also hope I still have them MRE's I saved and brought back with me, when I was deployed. Whew...... might be a close one...........Mac

Spyder Garage

.........Just what would happen to our society should we be locked in an "eternal" winter (as the Ice Age lasts much longer than one terrible MN winter)........

"Winter is coming!"
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Some words from wisdom literature about climate...

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Biblical says it will burn which i think will be from nuclear war.
    JMO
    There are a couple of references to climate and the end times in wisdom literature - the bible - that are interesting to consider...

[Genesis 8:22 NIV] "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease."

[2 Peter 3:12 NIV] "...as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat."

The occurrences of extended ice ages and droughts does puzzle me when I consider the Genesis quote... I don't have an explanation for these climate events. But it does seem that there are regular cycles the earth has endured. As far as the final chapter in the history of the earth, the words used are "fire" and "melt" indicating lots of heat. Again, I don't have an explanation about how or when it is supposed to happen. Just another perspective. And, here is an interesting article about the end of earth, which is to be on April 23rd... https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-myth-science/

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: The coming Ice Age

If you are really interested in this, I suggest that you read: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Death-Pl.../dp/0805075127

I thought it would be a boring, scientific book. However, I found it fascinating reading.

They do predicte that another Ice Age is coming; but not for many millions of years.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I could not open your video.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I recently saw this video regarding the cyclical ice ages we experience. They do touch a bit on how other planets effect our orbit. They did not discuss changes on the Sun or magnetic field shifts. But it is a complex subject and it can't all be covered in a fifteen minute video. It would be an irony if our activity staves off an ice age. But I do know humans are adaptable and we can deal with any extremes in weather. I mean, we thrived during the last ice age with very little technology.

You've been watching the End Of Days again. Haven't you. Good movie tho.

Spyder Garage

All I know is unless it happens one way or another in the next 10 years I'm not likely to be here

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Well, I'm glad I've "stocked-up" in the fat department and didn't go on that diet my doctor has been busting my Ba$#'s about for the last couple of years! I also hope I still have them MRE's I saved and brought back with me, when I was deployed. Whew...... might be a close one...........Mac
    At least those MRE's would beat the hell out of the K-rations we got in Vietnam that first year. Never thought I would pray for C-rations!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    There are a couple of references to climate and the end times in wisdom literature - the bible - that are interesting to consider...

[Genesis 8:22 NIV] "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease."

[2 Peter 3:12 NIV] "...as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat."

The occurrences of extended ice ages and droughts does puzzle me when I consider the Genesis quote... I don't have an explanation for these climate events. But it does seem that there are regular cycles the earth has endured. As far as the final chapter in the history of the earth, the words used are "fire" and "melt" indicating lots of heat. Again, I don't have an explanation about how or when it is supposed to happen. Just another perspective. And, here is an interesting article about the end of earth, which is to be on April 23rd... https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-myth-science/
    I would not give any credence to a book with the following characteristics:

The King James version of the New Testament was completed in 1611 by 8 members of the Church of England.

There were (and still are) no original texts to translate. The oldest manuscripts we have were written down hundreds of years after the last apostle died. There are over 8,000 of these old manuscripts, with no two alike.

The King James translators used none of these anyway. Instead, they edited previous translations to create a version their king and Parliament would approve.

So, 21st Century Christians believe the "Word of God" is a book edited in the 17th Century from 16th Century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th Century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st Century.

Spyder Garage

Default About the bible as being reliable...

...my last word on this is that I agree that the King James version lacks in accurate translation. But, there are newer versions that are translated using a more rigorous and accurate process.

I would not give any credence to a book with the following characteristics:

The King James version of the New Testament was completed in 1611 by 8 members of the Church of England.

There were (and still are) no original texts to translate. The oldest manuscripts we have were written down hundreds of years after the last apostle died. There are over 8,000 of these old manuscripts, with no two alike.

The King James translators used none of these anyway. Instead, they edited previous translations to create a version their king and Parliament would approve.

So, 21st Century Christians believe the "Word of God" is a book edited in the 17th Century from 16th Century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th Century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st Century.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

At least those MRE's would beat the hell out of the K-rations we got in Vietnam that first year. Never thought I would pray for C-rations!
    The A.F. ran out of MRE's when I went thru Basic in Aug. of '77. They got a hold of C-RAT's for our enjoyment, and I must say, you've got to be pretty hungry for those things! P.S.....the gum was still "tasty"!! Mac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The A.F. ran out of MRE's when I went thru Basic in Aug. of '77. They got a hold of C-RAT's for our enjoyment, and I must say, you've got to be pretty hungry for those things! P.S.....the gum was still "tasty"!! Mac
    We all got a laugh when we opened our first K-rations. They were canned the year I was born. My dad told me they used to use the "butter" to lube their amphib tank's machine guns. The package came with two Phillip Morris ciggies. The guys who tried to smoke those got a big surprise as, when lit, they burned down (no filters) in about 2.5 seconds. Good for one very short drag!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: The coming Ice Age

If you are really interested in this, I suggest that you read: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Death-Pl.../dp/0805075127

I thought it would be a boring, scientific book. However, I found it fascinating reading.

They do predicte that another Ice Age is coming; but not for many millions of years.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I could not open your video.

Thanks, Jerry. I am not sure why the video did not open for you. It's YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    You've been watching the End Of Days again. Haven't you. Good movie tho.
    Yeah, it was
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

We all got a laugh when we opened our first K-rations. They were canned the year I was born. My dad told me they used to use the "butter" to lube their amphib tank's machine guns. The package came with two Phillip Morris ciggies. The guys who tried to smoke those got a big surprise as, when lit, they burned down (no filters) in about 2.5 seconds. Good for one very short drag!
    You are absolutely correct about the cigs, I think I remember Lucky Strikes or a 2 pac of something with a white package and red label on them and I believe they were from WWII, because I remember the guys and I, hoot'n it up over the dates on the boxes and how we were not going to be able to use the latrine for about a week! AAAAH, the memories, just to be able to live some of that over again. Young & dumb, and not a care in the world. Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 04-18-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You guys must have received the "luxo" version. Ours didn't have gum (although the meat balls kind of met that description).

Spyder Garage

You guys must have received the "luxo" version. Ours didn't have gum (although the meat balls kind of met that description).
    Copy That!! Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forty years ago, they talked about the coming Ice Age...
    Lately they've been doing nothing but talking about Global Warming...

I wish that they'd make up their minds: I've go no idea of what i should wear tomorrow!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Forty years ago, they talked about the coming Ice Age...
    Lately they've been doing nothing but talking about Global Warming...

I wish that they'd make up their minds: I've go no idea of what i should wear tomorrow!!
    Just dress to impress. Then you can style down if you need to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Missus is just happy if I can get my britches on in the morning; without falling off of the bed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black