Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic air

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Can any 2017 F3 Limited owner hear or feel their electronically controlled air system working? I have had mine for 2000 miles now and have yet to hear a peep out of it. No sounds or different feeling with a passenger. Just wondering how a person is to tell if it is working?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a low light situation, like inside a garage, note where the lights hit the wall.
    With it in gear (and foot on brake of course) run the control from soft to hard.....and watch the light on the wall go up and down.

I've never heard or felt mine working either but the dealer demonstrated that it IS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    In a low light situation, like inside a garage, note where the lights hit the wall.
    With it in gear (and foot on brake of course) run the control from soft to hard.....and watch the light on the wall go up and down.

I've never heard or felt mine working either but the dealer demonstrated that it IS.
    That is a slick way of knowing for an RT owner. Unfortunately mine is the 2017 F3 Limited and there is nothing manual that
    I can switch on or off and check the headlights. As I said, I have had mine for 2000 miles now and have yet to hear a peep
    out of it. No sounds or different feeling with a passenger. Just wondering how a person is to tell if it is working?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Im not sure what to listen for in what situation. I have felt something kick in on a few aggressive curves. I was thinking it was either the nanny or that compressor.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Im not sure what to listen for in what situation. I have felt something kick in on a few aggressive curves. I was thinking it was either the nanny or that compressor.
    Most likely was the nanny since you say "on a few aggressive curves." Guess no one knows what it takes to really know if our units are working properly or what it would feel like if they were not working properly.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    That is a slick way of knowing for an RT owner. Unfortunately mine is the 2017 F3 Limited and there is nothing manual that
    I can switch on or off and check the headlights. As I said, I have had mine for 2000 miles now and have yet to hear a peep
    out of it. No sounds or different feeling with a passenger. Just wondering how a person is to tell if it is working?
    Thanks,
    Hi Bob, do you not have the ability on your 2017 F3 to choose whether your airbag is running at 10psi or 70psi? .......and then the compressor maintains it at that PSI?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hi Bob, do you not have the ability on your 2017 F3 to choose whether your airbag is running at 10psi or 70psi? .......and then the compressor maintains it at that PSI?

Pete
    On the 2017 F3 limited its air shock system is electronically controlled. I would assume if it was not operating properly, there would be an error code.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default I have wondered too ...

Can any 2017 F3 Limited owner hear or feel their electronically controlled air system working? I have had mine for 2000 miles now and have yet to hear a peep out of it. No sounds or different feeling with a passenger. Just wondering how a person is to tell if it is working?
    Thanks,
    We have a 2017 F3L with electronically/automatically adjusted rear suspension. During most of 7000 miles/11,000 km, I have often wondered whether it was working. No switch to adjust; no sound of any consequence; no gauge to check. BUT, once or twice when mounting, or when I was already on and had been ryding briefly before the missus came out to join me, I have felt a subtle adjustment, a raising or lowering as it were, when she climbed aboard. Thus, I'm led to believe there actually is a system there, and that it's functioning. It is pretty difficult to tell, though, other than to say our Spyder performs well in different load-bearing situations over very different terrain, with reasonable comfort, suggesting to me that some form of operable automatic suspension compensation must be there and working. Faith in the byke!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 04-16-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

mine is the 2017 F3 Limited and there is nothing manual that I can switch on or off

Pete
    I think he already answered that.

Is it safe to assume that you also don't have a tire valve under the seat where you can check the actual pressure in the bag ??

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How about a ruler? Air pressure gauge? You mean if you have it in gear and running in a darkened garage and your wife gets on (add weight) the headlights won't move up and then down as it levels out?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I think it goes active once you are in gear and running. Reason being, in the service manual It gives instructions on how to deflate the air spring for service. This requires starting the Spyder, putting it in gear with the brakes on(foot pedal) and then while your foot remains on the brake, getting off the Spyder, waiting 30 seconds to deflate and turning the ignition off. It also has instuctions on resetting it with the BUDS. I am not sure if after you deflate it, that you then need BUDS to reset it or it just reinflates after you start it back up so I would not try it until you know for sure BUDS is not required.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-16-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I think it goes active once you are in gear and running. Reason being, in the service manual It gives instructions on how to deflate the air spring for service. This requires starting the Spyder, putting it in gear with the brakes on(foot pedal) and then while your foot remains on the brake, getting off the Spyder, waiting 30 seconds to deflate and turning the ignition off. It also has instuctions on resetting it with the BUDS. I am not sure if after you deflate it, that you then need BUDS to reset it or it just reinflates after you start it back up so I would not try it until you know for sure BUDS is not required.
    Deflating from the valve under the seat won't work? Which would be another way to test it. Deflate the air bag using the valve under the seat. Button everything up, turn off the lights in the garage, get on and start the bike, put it in gear and see what happens. You could even check the pressure in the bag after this to see how much it went up from zero. Please say this isn't too hard.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-16-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Pete
    Pete, I have no way of setting the pressure on my system that I know about. From what I have read it is a closed system with not adjustment. I am trying to learn more.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think he already answered that.

Is it safe to assume that you also don't have a tire valve under the seat where you can check the actual pressure in the bag ??
    Easy Rider, that would be correct. As far as I can tell this is a closed system. I am starting to think the only way to change any thing related to the pressure of the system is with the BUDS software and that is a maybe.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Deflating from the valve under the seat won't work? Which would be another way to test it. Deflate the air bag using the valve under the seat. Button everything up, turn off the lights in the garage, get on and start the bike, put it in gear and see what happens. You could even check the pressure in the bag after this to see how much it went up from zero. Please say this isn't too hard.
    Guys, there is no valve under the seat! That is part of my point. There is no way for the owner to deflate or inflate this system.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

On my previous post I gave instruction on Deflation. The purpose of that air spring is not to replace the shock, It is to keep the Spyder level. I downloaded the service manual this morning to look it up. I was planning on doing it anyway but this question prompted me to go ahead and do it.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-16-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

On my previous post I gave instruction on Deflation. The purpose of that air spring is not to replace the shock, It is to keep the Spyder level. I downloaded the service manual this morning to look it up. I was planning on doing it anyway but this question prompted me to go ahead and do it.
    "I am not sure if after you deflate it, that you then need BUDS to reset it or it just reinflates after you start it back up so I would not try it until you know for sure BUDS is not required."

So why would I want to go to all that trouble just to try and verify that the system is or is not working? I am looking for a simply way to visually see if the system is
    functioning as it should. If not then I could proceed with some trouble shooting steps.

BTW what manual are you using??
    Thanks,
    Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The adjustable air system on the rear shock sets ride height only... anything else that it does, is completely dependent on that one consideration.
    On the 2018 RT Limited models: there is no operator adjustment available at all. It all happens automatically.
    When I'm moving my bike around at low speed: I can hear the compressor running to add air, and I can also hear the system bleeding air off.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The adjustable air system on the rear shock sets ride height only... anything else that it does, is completely dependent on that one consideration.
    On the 2018 RT Limited models: there is no operator adjustment available at all. It all happens automatically.
    When I'm moving my bike around at low speed: I can hear the compressor running to add air, and I can also hear the system bleeding air off.
    Thanks Bob,

Any idea how a 2017 F3 owner would tell if his system is working properly? Haven't heard a peep out of the compressor since I got it some 2000 miles ago. Neither
    have I been able to detect any movement when the CO comes aboard--engine running. As you can tell, I seem to have stumped a few people on this one.

Thanks again,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Electronic air

Gentlemen and ladies,

I am going to put this one to bed. From everything you folks are telling me--there doesn't seem to be a simple way of checking to see if the 2017 F3 Limited is indeed operating the way it should be. Yes I could perhaps drain the air bladder but certainly not without knowing if BUDS would be needed in order to refill/reset the system. Bob said he heard the compressor running at low speed on his 2018 RT and also heard it releasing air. I have not heard/felt anything from my electronic system either alone or 2 up---but I might not be able to hear at that frequency. I would like to thank all of you for your participation in this discussion. I am going to assume that there is no simple way to check this.
    Key word--simple.

Thank you all.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Guys, there is no valve under the seat! That is part of my point. There is no way for the owner to deflate or inflate this system.
    Thanks,
    Ok, didn't know that. My 2016 has a valve and no compressor. At least you could look underneath and see if the air bag is inflated.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gentlemen and ladies,

I am going to put this one to bed. From everything you folks are telling me--there doesn't seem to be a simple way of checking to see if the 2017 F3 Limited is indeed operating the way it should be. Yes I could perhaps drain the air bladder but certainly not without knowing if BUDS would be needed in order to refill/reset the system. Bob said he heard the compressor running at low speed on his 2018 RT and also heard it releasing air. I have not heard/felt anything from my electronic system either alone or 2 up---but I might not be able to hear at that frequency. I would like to thank all of you for your participation in this discussion. I am going to assume that there is no simple way to check this.
    Key word--simple.

Thank you all.
    Do you have a button somewhere, that allows you to adjust the ride height?
    If you do: set it on "Max", and pump the system up fully...
    Take it for a ride, and leave it parked out in the hot Sun...
    After an hour or so: start the bike, and have someone listen to it at about the mid-point on the RH side...
    (By the seat...)
    When you put it in gear, and slowly start to roll: they should hear it bleed off the extra pressure gained from sitting out in the heat.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Electrical air

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a button somewhere, that allows you to adjust the ride height?
    If you do: set it on "Max", and pump the system up fully...
    Take it for a ride, and leave it parked out in the hot Sun...
    After an hour or so: start the bike, and have someone listen to it at about the mid-point on the RH side...
    (By the seat...)
    When you put it in gear, and slowly start to roll: they should hear it bleed off the extra pressure gained from sitting out in the heat.
    Sorry Bob, no button of any kind.

Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

"I am not sure if after you deflate it, that you then need BUDS to reset it or it just reinflates after you start it back up so I would not try it until you know for sure BUDS is not required."

So why would I want to go to all that trouble just to try and verify that the system is or is not working? I am looking for a simply way to visually see if the system is
    functioning as it should. If not then I could proceed with some trouble shooting steps.

BTW what manual are you using??
    Thanks,

2017 Can-Am Spyder F3 Series Repair and Maintenance Manual Master Collection (Updated 10/2017)
    Only $24.50
    Professional High Definition Keyword Searchable Factory OEM Manual - 1328 Pages
    Covers 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3 series models (Auto & Manual) including:

2017 Spyder F3
    2017 Spyder F3-T
    2017 Spyder F3 Limited
    This is NOT a scan, this manual is from the original digital source.
    This manual contains hundreds of pages of additional content that the $180.00 book never did including:

• The full BRP 966 page repair and maintenance manual. The same one your local dealer uses, just in electronic form.
    • Online Parts Manual with exploded views with part numbers of EVERY PART! (This is the only part of the manual that requires online access to use)
    • 2017 Owner's manuals
    • 2017 Dealer Only flat rate Manual
    • 2017 Dealer Only what's new technical update presentations
    • 2017 full color clothing, parts & accessory catalogs
    • 2017 dealer brochures
    • Dealer Only expanded diagnostic fault codes
    http://canammanuals.com/can-am-spyder-manual.htm
    2017 F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Try using a ruler and measuring from the rear mud flap to the ground, take the measurement under a few different scenarios, 1-up vs 2-up, etc. If the measurement stays the same you could reasonably assume that the system is working.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622