Spyder Garage

Default Tire Data for MICHELIN HYDRO-EDGE....

During our monthly luncheon yesterday, we got to talking about, what else, TIRES.... here's an email i sent to our Master of Ceremonies:

John;
    Per our talk yesterday about our rear tire, the MICHELIN HYDRO-EDGE....

as i stated then, this tire was designed to be rated @ 80,000 miles... as we know, the SPYD3R eats up tires faster than cars do, so we shouldn't expect 80,000 miles of service from these... as a base, using the stats i've accumulated from the KUMHO's that we all know and love, that tire is rated @ 40,000 mile life... i got between 22K & 25K from the 4 that i've used on my RS (3) & F3 (1)....

so using that as our base, and with the info i just gathered on my F3's HYDRO-EDGE, here's what i expect from this tire:

HYDRO-EDGE THREAD DEPTH: NEW, .300... @ 9,371 miles, it now has a depth of .275... Wear Bars are @ .250 below NEW tire O.D... this means we have .250 of rubber to burn up before we hit the Wear Bars, and need to R&R the rear tire...

given that i now have over 9K miles of smiles on this tire, using up .025 of rubber, these numbers tell me that we can expect no less than 45,000 and maybe as high as 50,000 miles of smiles before we start searching the web for a new donut.... that 45/50K brings us to approximately the same ratio of wear that the KUMHO's gave us... so in the future, keep this in mind when looking for a rear tire....

another note to consider; the KUMHO cost me about $65, and the MICH was $79... that extra $14 gives us double the amount of miles of smiles.... a NO BRAIN'r in my book....

hope this helps....

Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire wear

Great thread Dan .... and it will apply fairly consistently ....in YOUR riding AREA ....... This topic is discussed ad in finite-um and if I have learned anything from posts about this subject is this ....... Wear results of tires depends on where they are primarily used by the Vast Majority of the posters ...PLUS the Way they RIDE also is a factor ......Some of our Posters have a very large riding area, but most actually stay in their State or local area ..............so imho Your personal experience will really apply to where you are ...not where someone else is ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Can you still get the Michelin Hydro- Edge

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default buying them

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    Unfortunately Michelin dis-continued them ....old stock can still be found, but it will more than four years old now ...... Tires that are stored in climate controlled conditions are safe to use for about 6 years ( imho ) ...... However Michelin now makes two excellent replacements..... the Premier and the new version of the Defender called the H&T model ...... both have Excellent performance ratings and I have recommended them because of this ..... they are a bit more $ than the General Altimax RT43 ( get the " T " rated version ) ...... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    a friend of mine bought 2 this past week at SIMPLETIRE.com:
    https://simpletire.com/?msclkid=4efa...Bsimpletire%5D
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default OPINIONS

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Great thread Dan .... and it will apply fairly consistently ....in YOUR riding AREA ....... This topic is discussed ad in finite-um and if I have learned anything from posts about this subject is this ....... Wear results of tires depends on where they are primarily used by the Vast Majority of the posters ...PLUS the Way they RIDE also is a factor ......Some of our Posters have a very large riding area, but most actually stay in their State or local area ..............so imho Your personal experience will really apply to where you are ...not where someone else is ........ Mike
    OPINIONS are great, but some don't float Mike....

Myself, and ALL the other SPYD3R riders that i ride with are basically the same type of riders... by 'number of rides', YES, it is mostly local... but by 'miles of smiles', we all are X-country & boarder-2-boarder riders.... my miles are mostly accumulated over long distances, with an average trek of 4000 - 6000 miles... and these rides number 2 - 4 per year... the only States i've missed, are in the great north-west (those may fall this summer)....
    so i'm stick'n with my numbers... because they echo my riding style and that of my riding partners...

YES you are correct as to all factors inclusive.... 1 individual can get far more or less on the same equipment as another - because of the way 1 rides... and btw; in AZ, you can't even buy some of the tires that are sold on the east coast... it's all about rubber compound versus road surface temps, ask BIG BIRD about that....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

The number of tire shops here in Arid-Zone-A rivals the number of fast food restaurants..... Dry, hot air and 75-80 MPH speeds eat tires. Lots and lots or road gators. Looking to see how my Altimax holds up. So far, so good. Will be happy with 30K. Actually, really, really happy.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The number of tire shops here in Arid-Zone-A rivals the number of fast food restaurants..... Dry, hot air and 75-80 MPH speeds eat tires. Lots and lots or road gators. Looking to see how my Altimax holds up. So far, so good. Will be happy with 30K. Actually, really, really happy.

Good luck with that. (I really mean it too) My Altimax in mostly desert riding only last about 15k miles. I wasn't happy or satisfied with that tire. So far my Cooper CS5 Touring is doing the best out of all of the tires I've tried.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6