Spyder Garage

Default Oil chnage completed & drain valve fitted!

I just finished changing the oil in my 2012 RS SM5. I changed the oil tank drain to a magnetic type and changed th crankcase to a valve that lets me attach a hose to the valve and then opening it up. The valve is a spring loaded ball valve and is very sturdy. I'll still have to remove the panels, but now I don't have to jack it up or use ramps to do an oil change. Here it is:valve 2.jpgvalve 1.jpg

Spyder Garage

I just did my first oil change on my 2010 rs se5 yesterday. I didn't jack it up but I did cus the hell out if the previous owner after bending 2 Allen wrenches trying to take out the drain plugs.

I like the idea of the valve.. and may look at that for my next oil change. I already decided to swap out those Allen drain plugs.

Plus after reading a bunch of threads. I'm gonna use the full synthetic instead of the dealer suggested semi.

Phil
    Bakersfield

Spyder Garage

Nice, i used to use those on my cars back in the day. Never leaked, made changes MUCH cleaner with the hose to the pan.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

I used a valve like that on my ATV and though it was out of harms way. Somehow something hit it and it leaked. I have the same Valve installed on my Riding mower and never had a problem. My 2.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done

Congrats... next one will be a breeze. Looks like a nice set up... it may just be me but I don't see a crush washer on the valve you installed. May be it doesn't need one or I just can't see it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I learn something new by reading posts on this forum.

Thanks for your post. I had not seen an EZ oil change plug that you used on your spyder before I read your post. I'm going to look into it before I change the oil again on my 2009 RS.

Spyder Garage

Default Fumo to.com

I have used a Fumoto oil drain valve on my Chevy Duramax for the past 10 years. I haven’t replaced my Spyders drain valves with these. I like the Goldplugs.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Congrats... next one will be a breeze. Looks like a nice set up... it may just be me but I don't see a crush washer on the valve you installed. May be it doesn't need one or I just can't see it....
    There is an O ring on the valve body and the directions saw to turn 1/8 after seating by hand, I had to turn it a little more to get it in the right spot. nothing hangs out below the plastic si I;m not real concerned about it getting knocked off, I'm trying to find a plastic or nylon pug to go in it to keep the dirrt out.Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drhunt204 View Post
    Thanks for your post. I had not seen an EZ oil change plug that you used on your spyder before I read your post. I'm going to look into it before I change the oil again on my 2009 RS.
    It takes a little fiddlin to get it in right and I had to trim the bottom plastic panel to get it to bolt back on, but I'm convinced it will be much easier to change oil. I'm also going to put one on my Ram 3500. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philrs View Post
    I just did my first oil change on my 2010 rs se5 yesterday. I didn't jack it up but I did cus the hell out if the previous owner after bending 2 Allen wrenches trying to take out the drain plugs.

I like the idea of the valve.. and may look at that for my next oil change. I already decided to swap out those Allen drain plugs.

Plus after reading a bunch of threads. I'm gonna use the full synthetic instead of the dealer suggested semi.

Phil
    Bakersfield
    You're right its a PIA to get the Allen head drain bolt out of the crankcase, I used Castrol 4 5W40 full synthetic, got a good deal for 6qts. on Amazon. Thanks