Spyder Garage

Default Charging your RT from the trunk.

Well I read a thread here about charging the RT from the trunk. It started out by saying: Remove the cover off the right side fuse box in the front truck. F6 is Labeled Key F7 is Battery."

My 2011 RT SM5 has the fuse box on the left side looking in and all the fuse positions are full. I didn't see an F6 and F7. Are there different instructions for my machine?
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Only works on 2014 and above RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

daz,
    your bike's 12 volt port in the rear trunk is hot all of the time: just plug your battery tender in there, and all will be fine.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    daz,
    your bike's 12 volt port in the rear trunk is hot all of the time: just plug your battery tender in there, and all will be fine.
    Geeze Bob thanks! I was just getting ready to install SAE pig tails on the battery and thought maybe I should ask. Of course I never thought to check it out first. By the way, I just changed my oil by only removing two panels like Lamonster talks about. 10 you tube videos say you have to remove all the left hand side panels. Not really if you are not afraid to jack your machine up and crawl around!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

From page 50 of your operator's guide. Note the 3 amp limit.
    Last edited by JayBros; 04-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We keep our battery tender pluged in the left plug all the time when we are not riding our2011 RT it works great. Happy Trails. Ride safe. Ride often

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    From page 50 of your operator's guide. Note the 3 amp limit.
    A battery Tender Junior is nowhere near that limitation.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Are you telling me all i have to do is plug my battery tender via 12 volt adapter with cigarette connection for battery tender and your good to go awesome

Spyder Garage

yep, do it all the time on my '13
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I have a 18 RT..So all I have to do is plug a tender in the rear truck cigarette outlet.
    What about removing fuses like ke some talk about .

Spyder Garage

So on a 2012 works same? I see above^^^ mentions of 2014 and newer but also that '13 is good.

I have a pigtail to the battery today..but good to know
    2012 RT-SE5

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the 2012, Raknid, the rear accessory outlet is live all the time. You don't have to swap any fuses around. It's supplied by 10a fuse F9. You can use it for a battery tender / maintainer, but any use for an actual charger may blow the fuse.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

On my 2015 RTS Special Series the only port that is 'always hot' is the one in the frunk, drivers left side. Unless, of course, you switch the right side F6 and F7 fuses. Oh, and there's a frunk light in the front of the frunk that only lights up if the frunk is opened while the key is on. Been thinking of rewiring the switch so that it works whenever the frunk is open. But I don't know if the nanny would complain and keep telling me the frunk is open. Does anyone have the skinny on this?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    On my 2015 RTS Special Series the only port that is 'always hot' is the one in the frunk, drivers left side. Unless, of course, you switch the right side F6 and F7 fuses. Oh, and there's a frunk light in the front of the frunk that only lights up if the frunk is opened while the key is on. Been thinking of rewiring the switch so that it works whenever the frunk is open. But I don't know if the nanny would complain and keep telling me the frunk is open. Does anyone have the skinny on this?
    It's more than rewiring the switch. The micro switch completes the ground circuit for the frunk light, and in the past, the frunk actuator. You'll need to find the power feed to the frunk light and connect it to an on all the time power lead. The power outlet in the frunk is one such circuit. As far as nanny no problem. The only lid open warning light on the dash is for the saddlebags and rear trunk. There is none for the frunk. Even if it's open wind will keep the lid down.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

So what do I need to plug into the 12 volt power source

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Xander18 View Post
    So what do I need to plug into the 12 volt power source
    If you're not familiar with electrical wiring find a friend or someone who is to help you. This is not a simple case of plug and play but it's not complicated either. But you do need to know the basics of electrical wiring and vehicle power systems.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sgerksinwi View Post
    I have a 18 RT..So all I have to do is plug a tender in the rear truck cigarette outlet.
    What about removing fuses like ke some talk about .
    Not sure I understand your "rear trunk cigarette outlet". i have a 2018 RTL and it does not have a 12 volt cigarette outlet. All there is a double USB port, hot with ignition. There is a plastic plug covering a hole where a cigarette outlet can go but it's empty.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"