Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Love the semi automatic transmission

Before I bought my new RTS I was not sure I would like the semi-automatic transmission, but I love it. It gives me the control of a standard transmission without messing with a clutch. Who ever came up with this transmission instead of a standard or a fully automatic transmission should be given a large raise. Who else out there loves it also?
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

Spyder Garage

Four out of five of my 's have been the SE. Need I say more?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE -Trans

When I bought my first Spyder ( a GS ) back in 09, I had a choice of transmissions .... I was leery of the SE because Honda had one a ways back and I wasn't impressed ....So I chose the tried and true Manual .... I'm sorry I made that choice .... the BRP - SE trans is everything I ever wanted and more ....could it be made to shift a little quicker, I hope they try ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Casher50,

Re: Who else out there loves it also?

I would not say that I 'loved it' but I am damm glad that I bought mine with it.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Add me to the "SE" party too. After an industrial accident in 1988, my left hand ain't what it used to be. But I can shift an SE just fine. And Mike, I remember those Honda transmissions. They were pretty buggered up weren't they?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

AMEN and AMEN to that, I just wish we didn't have 12 inches of snow today, I'm WAY behind my annual mileage goals.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love the SE too, my arthritic hands just couldn't deal with holding in a clutch any more. I just wish my particular vehicle didn't upshift so damn lousy half the time. (OLD Spyder shifted real sweet, just like it should.)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love the se trans also. I'm on my second. One of my considerations when I bought my first RT-S was that trans. It would be easier for my wife to drive it in an emergency. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Glad you like it and it is all you want it to be but not to be one sided I love my manual and would never give up the control you have with it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Honda - buggered

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Add me to the "SE" party too. After an industrial accident in 1988, my left hand ain't what it used to be. But I can shift an SE just fine. And Mike, I remember those Honda transmissions. They were pretty buggered up weren't they?
    When you consider what Honda has accomplished over time ....... That wasn't one of their shinning moments ................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Manual control

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad you like it and it is all you want it to be but not to be one sided I love my manual and would never give up the control you have with it...
    The only thing I can think of is ....you can slip the clutch and we can't .......... not really much of a loss ....at least not when you consider what we've gained ,IMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Not only....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is ....you can slip the clutch and we can't .......... not really much of a loss ....at least not when you consider what we've gained ,IMHO .... Mike
    Being able to slip the clutch has saved our butts in several occasions. Being able to pull in the clutch and coast the short shots or shift to neutral for the downhill has gotten us the extra mile to the filling station. Being able to push start when you have a battery or starter issue is a plus. Being able to put it in gear so as not to have it roll away is nice even when park brake fails. Being able to blip between shifts to clear the exhaust and avoid backfiring and of course there is the whole fooling the nanny in those fun twisting uphill downhill corners on the back roads. But hey it's all in getting the most out of it. Not a fan of the push button world taking the fun and skill out of things. Not to worry here in America it is dying anyway and soon all vehicles will be autopilot or push button..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Since I have to wear a brace on my Lt. foot/leg, having the "paddle" shifter is my savior, if I want to ride a M/C of any type. So yes I'm happy for it. Mac

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just wish that along with the SE they would make a hand brake like ISCI has
    standard on all Spyders

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    Before I bought my new RTS I was not sure I would like the semi-automatic transmission, but I love it. It gives me the control of a standard transmission without messing with a clutch. Who ever came up with this transmission instead of a standard or a fully automatic transmission should be given a large raise. Who else out there loves it also?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE Transmission

YES, For me (SE Trans) is the only way to GO. As the body get old some things need HELP.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought my SE for the wife. She can drive a stick car just fine but has never driven a motorcycle with a hand clutch and at the time we bought it she was recovering from a broken left arm (so I didn't know just how much strength she would have eventually). She likes it just fine. I can't stand it. Not only is the paddle difficult to reach downshifting but the damn Spyder sounds like a Harley with every shift (LOUD THUNK) unless you hit the revs just right. If it were my bike I would have bought an SM.

Spyder Garage

I'm enjoying the SE so far...part of yesterday's ride took us on a couple of particularly steep/twisty/rough-surfaced roads and I was very comfortably shifting between 2&3 and not having the jerky feeling I used to get from my manual that would often make me feel more than a bit unsettled on these types of roads.

I find the SE to be very quick-shifting up and down, much smoother as well...SO has not helmet-bonked me once...yet!

On the flip side...
    I do miss the occasional free-wheeling just so I could let my throttle hand relax, but have started to use the cruise con for this...and have been leaving it in the switched-on position.

I mainly wish the paddle could be adjusted somewhat to fit my small hand a bit more comfortably...I am finding my left thumb gets a bit crampy and I'm using a thumb-over grip periodically. I've also been experimenting with flicking the up-shifts with my index finger.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I just wish that along with the SE they would make a hand brake like ISCI has
    standard on all Spyders
    I had a hand brake installed before I bought my RTS. It helps a lot because my numb diabetic feet make using a foot brake difficult. Maybe that is another reason I love the SE transmission. I don't have to shift gears with my left foot.
    Last edited by Casher50; 04-15-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    1974 Rokon MX340

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm "Happi9er than a Pig in fresh poop"; with the three "ESSIES" that I've owned!

Smiling Pig.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The sissy shift trans is one of the few things I miss from the spider. If I could afford a new wing it would be the DCT version. That would be the best of both worlds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm "Happi9er than a Pig in fresh poop"; with the three "ESSIES" that I've owned!

There ya go, another undeserved maligning of an innocent species! Pigs don't love to live in poop, fresh or stale, any more than we do! On behalf of misunderstood porcines everywhere, I (we) demand a retraction!

But I too love, love, LOVE my SE6! I'd have bought a manual, but the only model they were selling at $6K off retail was the one I bought. Considering the nearly nonstop, ever increasing pain in my left foot from a horse wreck many years ago, I'm doubly glad now that that foot can just sit there idly enjoying the ryde.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 04-15-2018 at 08:18 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    There ya go, another undeserved maligning of an innocent species!
    And here's another one, a comment someone posted about that "swamp" that needs to be "drained"... "I find it necessary to point out that a swamp is part of a healthy ecosystem that recycles nature’s waste. We really need to refer to Trump’s Washington as a sewer, which requires significant added energy to clean up. Swamps everywhere are insulted."
    I thought that was deeee-licious!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I'm enjoying the SE so far...part of yesterday's ride took us on a couple of particularly steep/twisty/rough-surfaced roads and I was very comfortably shifting between 2&3 and not having the jerky feeling I used to get from my manual that would often make me feel more than a bit unsettled on these types of roads.

I find the SE to be very quick-shifting up and down, much smoother as well...SO has not helmet-bonked me once...yet!

On the flip side...
    I do miss the occasional free-wheeling just so I could let my throttle hand relax, but have started to use the cruise con for this...and have been leaving it in the switched-on position.

I mainly wish the paddle could be adjusted somewhat to fit my small hand a bit more comfortably...I am finding my left thumb gets a bit crampy and I'm using a thumb-over grip periodically. I've also been experimenting with flicking the up-shifts with my index finger.
    I recently had a similar experience. I was riding with a friend (he was riding a Honda 1100 Shadow) and we got behind a dump truck on a very steep hilly road. I was actually enjoying going from fourth to third to second to first (doing my own down shifting) and back again. As the truck labored up and down the hills. My friend was not having a similar good time, however.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    1974 Rokon MX340

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My left foot and a lawnboy mower had an encounter and though I can do the manual transmission the se is heaven on earth. Between my 13 rs that I traded for my 15 RTS I have over 23,000 happy riding miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post

I LOVE the semi-automatic. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Hitting the clutch would give me an ongoing pain in my toes. I fixed it by wearing steel toed boots and shoes. Now, with my beautiful 2016 RT Limited, all I have to do is tap that paddle. I can wear my hightop gym shoes, or whatever boots I feel like. Sometimes I miss the paddle, and beep the horn. Like the Road Runner......LOL!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779