Spyder Garage

Default Belt vibration solution

Finally got a smooth ride. Here is the solution. But first, a little background. This is my 1st Spyder. Bought it used with 8K miles on it last May and rode it home 1,400 miles from Oklahoma. It was a very scary trip. As time and my learning curve advanced, little by little things improved. Turns out I bought the bike and rode it home with both front shocks blown, rear tire on last legs, (had it replaced in Texas), and the front tires had tread separation. Being a new Spyder owner/rider, I had know idea what was right or wrong. As you can see from my signature line, I have added a lot of stuff in order to make the spyder ride and handle like I hoped it should. The one last bothersome glitch was belt vibration while accelerating or going up hill at 60 to 66 MPH. I put Doc Humphreys dampener on and it did help but I just knew this thing should be better. So, I took it to my local dealer to have the belt tension and alignment checked and corrected. After all, they are the schooled experts. The vibration was much worse after they worked on it. I took it back to them a second time and they fiddled some more but said they couldn't do any better. Still unacceptable. (I had them document what they set the tension to which was 231#s.) After doing a little research, I discovered BRP issued a TST in June 2015 that suggested the tension be lowered to 142#s to help eliminate belt harmonic vibration at freeway speeds. I presented this information to my (now former) dealer and they just wanted to argue with me saying they know what they are doing and have done it by the book.

The solution.....I sent an email to Doc Humphreys explaining my problem. That was on April 4th, 9 days ago. I cannot express how much help, advice, care and feeding, hand holding, and otherwise just plain good service I received. We exchanged several emails until, after following his advice and procedural steps, I no longer have belt vibration on a bike that has had it forever. Lowering the belt tension to 140#s in combination with Doc's dampener does the trick. Absolutely no noticeable vibration up to 75MPH.

Those of you living with vibration should know you don't need to. There is a solution for a smooth ride......

Thank you Doc.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am so glad you got it straightened out!! Thanks for the kind words. We love helping in any way we can!!

Spyder Garage

You know, it amazes me, that even now, folks refuse to accept this little bit of advice. I'm a fairly new Spyder rider, but have been riding motorcycles for about 58 years. When I rode my RT home from the dealers, I couldn't ride it in a straight line, it wandered all over the road. When I questioned that, I was told not to worry about it that they all did it.. Basically the same when I got blown off the road by side winds or big trucks passing on the highway, the solution was a heavier duty sway bar. The most annoying was belt slap at highway speeds, and yes, you could make it go away by changing speed but why should you have to. After checking around, I discovered their were betl tensioners and bought one, and that improved the situation, but didn't cure it. I went back to Mike Loesher and we talked about it and decided to loosen the belt and see what happened, and that helped a lot. It wasn't much after that whem BRP lowered the tension requirements. Then Doc Humphries came along with his device, that mounted on top of the belt instead of the bottom and put alot less tension on the belt than the other ones. I got to be one of the first testers, just because I felt that there was still some unnecessary vibration on my Spyder. WOW! I had NO vibration, anywhere, any speed or rpm. I told Doc that he didn't have a belt tensioner, but a vibration dampener So, I to, have to say thanks to him for doing what he does. He made my RT pefect, for going down the road, and providing me with a great ride. He is very easy to work with, makes a good product and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. On top of that, he stands behind everything he does. Ya'll have a nice day, I'm going riding.....................

David.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

I bought a damper from someone on this site used. Doc jumped in and offered to warranty the belt damper for the remainder of the mileage for free. What a stand up guy and company!

THANKS DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Good one....

Glad you found Doc he is the one to fix such issues....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fiddled and piddled around with my RT's belt tension and finally landed on 200#'s or just a bit below to eliminate most all the vibration, however I still had some annoying vibration under specific conditions. Ordered BRP's futile attempt to solve the issue but never installed it. It's a piece of crap. I think it's actually made by Kenda at BRP's request. Ordered Doc's dampener and after I installed it I'll be dammed if I can find any belt vibration at any speed under any condition. Thanks Doc.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Vibes

Back in early 2014 I decided to lower my Drive Belt tension ( on my new 2014 RT ) to 160 +/- lbs., using the KritKit II .......... I have NO belt vibes.... I suggested this tension Four years ago ..... Of course there was quite a bit discussion here , much of it negative..... However there were some brave souls who actually lowered their tension also ..... those that did were happy with the results ..... an amazing amount of info can be found in the Advanced Search function ....... I'm glad you are satisfied with your results , I know I'm very happy with mine .............. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-14-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As with any machine there are vibrations that come and go with speed and RPM. From road surface, tires, motor and belt vibrations I found my sweet spot at 60/65 mph where I do most of my riding. Early on (prior to F3's) I had the service department contact BRP about the problem. BRP's response was, that's how it is live with it. Since then they've done little to nothing to really solve the issue and the problem still exists. BRP left it to owners and after market producers to come up with solutions, not only for belt vibration but other problems as well. Their inattention to their dealer network, as this site often attests to, will be their undoing if they continue their present course. Competitors around the world all have their eyes this market.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    As with any machine there are vibrations that come and go with speed and RPM. From road surface, tires, motor and belt vibrations I found my sweet spot at 60/65 mph where I do most of my riding. Early on (prior to F3's) I had the service department contact BRP about the problem. BRP's response was, that's how it is live with it. Since then they've done little to nothing to really solve the issue and the problem still exists. BRP left it to owners and after market producers to come up with solutions, not only for belt vibration but other problems as well. Their inattention to their dealer network, as this site often attests to, will be their undoing if they continue their present course. Competitors around the world all have their eyes this market.
    For myself, I personally am happy that the engine/trans on the 1330 Spyder is so durable. Had a gentleman in yesterday that had 150,000 plus miles on his. The minor stuff we can deal with. Should they do more? Yes, but if they don't I'm still glad of the power plant and transmission. The rest is only details to me.......

Spyder Garage

I to have the dampener, Fantastic. Wow, 150,000 miles, awesome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For 28k......Yes

They should be more responsible and produce a more quality product and be more responsive to consumers. I agree, frame tranny and motor appear to be pretty much bullet proof, however, electronics, tires, compressor and many other items seem to be junk by all the complaints. I can also see your side of the issue. BRP has created an ever expanding after market industry of which you're a part. I guess if they built a quality product you wouldn't be in business. As it is, I haven't heard any complaints about your products, only positive feedback. Keep up the good work Doc.

Spyder Garage

After going through this process as an uninformed new owner, I am amazed by BRPs lack of attention to this problem. Not only did my former dealer not have a clue about how to solve the vibration issue, they were not willing to even investigate solutions. This speaks volumes of the arrogant self righteous propriety attitude perpetuated by the brand. Too bad we have to rely upon others to help solve shortcomings inherent to our chosen recreations vehicles. Thank you S.L forum members for your expertise and wisdom.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    They should be more responsible and produce a more quality product and be more responsive to consumers. I agree, frame tranny and motor appear to be pretty much bullet proof, however, electronics, tires, compressor and many other items seem to be junk by all the complaints. I can also see your side of the issue. BRP has created an ever expanding after market industry of which you're a part. I guess if they built a quality product you wouldn't be in business. As it is, I haven't heard any complaints about your products, only positive feedback. Keep up the good work Doc.
    You are correct. Our business just grew from areas of the Spyder that could be improved upon. Way we look at it is that if we can help others with problems, while helping make our Spyders better in the process is a win-win!

Spyder Garage

So....142# in the air or on the ground?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    So....142# in the air or on the ground?
    Yes, that 142 was on the ground.

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Yes, that 142 was on the ground.
    Well I think I have found my problem. I just went out and checked twice. ~240 lbs on the ground. Glad I checked cause that cant be good. Only has 700 miles on her.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

I am a way's away from belt tension yet. but just got a used 2013 RTL and road it home 70 miles on none Interstate. Not to bad, I like it but different from a Victory Vision. Started checking the Vee tires (almost new) up front, they were at 29 Lbs. Thought my gauge was broke, nope its perfect. Let the air out to 19 Lbs. Heaver steering but taking corners was better, less wanting to flip me. But brakes didn't seem near as good. Couldn't get to the rear with my gauge. Next day changed ends on the air hose and use it. 55 in the rear. rear is well woren, would qualify for a slick. Let it down to 30 and the Cornering is still better yet. Can't wait till I get the new Rear on Kumho. and the pressure rite. also the rear suspension air bag is 10 Lbs.