Spyder Garage

Default Hate it when you miss that one thing

2010 rs se5 bought from insurance

Got that weird squeal in the right front tire. Long story short. Took the entire wheel bracket off and then popped out the axle. After seeing that the bearing were fine. I started looking elsewhere and I realized that there was a hell of a rub mark on the inside of my fender. Damm. After assenblying and and doing some creative bending on the supports.. no more squeal. 4 hrs of work for a 30min fix. Well maybe a little longer...

New problem. Finally got 2 36mm sockets to adjust my belt. Loosened the bolts jacked it up and with a sketchy jackstand I started started the machine and then started turning the Allen wrench. After 9 1/2 clockwise turns, the belt hasn't moved away from the edge and I started to hear some concerning tire noise. So i counter clock wise 3 1/2 turns and the noise abated. Maybe there is a hair space there. But with the machine running i tightened up the axle. Am i missing something. I watched a video from a guy in Australia and he said clockwise moves the belt away. I heard toilets run backwards maybe clocks do too. Haha

I'm kinda stumped and don't want to take it to a dealer for something that seems easy enough to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil
    Last edited by Philrs; 04-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Getting there....

I adjust my belt in the following manner....

1 loosen the axle and both adjusters. (Turn them counter clockwise)
    2 tighten the left one to get to the belt tension point.
    3 tighten the right one for the tracking adjustment (clockwise)

When you start the adjustments snug up the axle first and recheck after tightening the axle to recommended torque. Sometimes shifts a bit...
    Belt will walk a bit when rolling the wheel backward but should not be much...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

only don't be surprised when all this is done if you get a code/alarm & the bike drops into limp home mode or warns you that it's about to self destruct!!

It's only cos you ran the rear wheel without the fronts turning at the same speed that she's got a bit confused - the Nanny thinks you've just been involved in a humungous spin & everything could be about to fall apart if you move an inch!! Just ryde gently in a straight(ish) line for 10-20 metres or so & that particular alarm or code should disappear; all it usually takes is ryding a little distance for the Nanny to decide that there really IS still a front end, & once she's happy again, you'll be fine!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I adjust my belt in the following manner....

1 loosen the axle and both adjusters. (Turn them counter clockwise)
    2 tighten the left one to get to the belt tension point.
    3 tighten the right one for the tracking adjustment (clockwise)

When you start the adjustments snug up the axle first and recheck after tightening the axle to recommended torque. Sometimes shifts a bit...
    Belt will walk a bit when rolling the wheel backward but should not be much...
    Ok. I will try that.. I didn't mess with the left side because I don't have a belt tension tester.. do you know if there is a by the seat of the pants adjustment method.

Also how many turns do you usually loosen the adjusters to start

Phil

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philrs View Post
    Also how many turns do you usually loosen the adjusters to start

Phil
    I only ever loosened the adjusters 1 full turn to start!!

As for the 'by the seat of your pants' belt tension bit - I aim to be just able to twist the belt 90 degrees (& no more!!) in the middle of the longest free length once you put the weight back on the rear wheel (ie, wheel on the ground!!) That's generally been an OK tension to use until I've been able to get a Kricket or another gauge on it, & it's rarely been too far off, either! Of course, YMMV, but there's a start.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!