Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Any easy way to install Throttle grip spring?

Anyone have an easy way to install the spring inside the throttle grip assembly? When I put ISO grips on I really had a hard time and I think I messed the spring up. I bought a new spring and want to do it right. Thx in advance for any help.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The spring

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    Anyone have an easy way to install the spring inside the throttle grip assembly? When I put ISO grips on I really had a hard time and I think I messed the spring up. I bought a new spring and want to do it right. Thx in advance for any help.
    I have a 14 RT .... I removed the Spring to ease the amount of force needed to open the Throttle ...... Now I don't need a Cramp Buster or any other similar device to ease up the pressure needed ..... My throttle still returns to idle if I remove my hand ..... Is the Throttle too tight?? .... I know I had to play with mine to get it correct ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Colour...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is the Throttle too tight ??? .... I know I had to play with mine to get it correct ...... Mike
    Yes, way too tight!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Solution 1 - you can't get the spring to go in:

To fit the spring you have to align the hole in the grip that the pointed end of the spring goes into with the slot in the bar that the bent part of the spring goes into. Normally the hole in the grip is about 20-30 degrees rotated away from the slot so you can't get the spring to fit in correctly. Shine a torch in the grip with the spring removed to see the hole and the slot and how they are misaligned.

So to get the hole the pointy bit goes into into to align with the slot you have to undo the grip control block assembly (the 4x3mm allen bolts) so the grip can be rotated forward. This aligns the hole and the slot so the sping will fit in both the inner hole and the outer slot. Then you rotate the grip assembly back to the upright position while making sure the spring doesn't come out and put the end cap back on and put the 4 bolts back in the grip block assembly.

Throttle should now have correct tension and not be dragging.

Solution 2 - missing plastic 'bushing':

If that's nt the problem and you already know all this you may have lost the plastic 'bushing' that goes round the bar and sits inside the spring. If this is missing the throttle will feel 'sticky' and not return correctly. I lost this bush after doing my heated grips and not tightening up the end enough. I had to buy a replacement.

If this applies and you need the part number let me know as I know where it is in the parts diagram.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I’ve also run into that problem, and I did notice the spring was out of position after messing with my end caps. I'm paranoid to pull that block apart fearing that all kindza springs and pieces would fall outta that assembly. What do I gotta watch for after taking the 4 Allen bolts out? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    '15 F3S SE6 Pearly White (Hers)
    '16 F3S SE6 Special Series Triple Black (His)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyDerSts View Post
    I’ve also run into that problem, and I did notice the spring was out of position after messing with my end caps. I'm paranoid to pull that block apart fearing that all kindza springs and pieces would fall outta that assembly. What do I gotta watch for after taking the 4 Allen bolts out? Thanks in advance.

Nothing to fear, you only need to undo the bolts enough to be able to open it up enough to rotate it forward. You can leave one bolt in unscrewed almost all the way and it rotates easily. By rotate forward I mean clockwise as you look into the end of the grip. Nothing can come out of the block that easily - there's only a circuit board and the throttle grip assembly in there and you would have to take it completely apart to get those out along with some more internal screws.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Does anybody know if it's possible to get a stronger spring?
    The reason I ask is I just installed a ISCI hand brake on my RT and my initial use of it I find that I roll on the throttle while applying the hand brake.
    To be fair I haven't road tested the Spyder with the hand brake yet as we still have a couple feet of snow and there maybe a bit of a learning curve with it but never had this problem riding a wheeler...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Solution 1 - you can't get the spring to go in:

To fit the spring you have to align the hole in the grip that the pointed end of the spring goes into with the slot in the bar that the bent part of the spring goes into. Normally the hole in the grip is about 20-30 degrees rotated away from the slot so you can't get the spring to fit in correctly. Shine a torch in the grip with the spring removed to see the hole and the slot and how they are misaligned.

So to get the hole the pointy bit goes into into to align with the slot you have to undo the grip control block assembly (the 4x3mm allen bolts) so the grip can be rotated forward. This aligns the hole and the slot so the sping will fit in both the inner hole and the outer slot. Then you rotate the grip assembly back to the upright position while making sure the spring doesn't come out and put the end cap back on and put the 4 bolts back in the grip block assembly.

Throttle should now have correct tension and not be dragging.

Solution 2 - missing plastic 'bushing':

If that's nt the problem and you already know all this you may have lost the plastic 'bushing' that goes round the bar and sits inside the spring. If this is missing the throttle will feel 'sticky' and not return correctly. I lost this bush after doing my heated grips and not tightening up the end enough. I had to buy a replacement.

If this applies and you need the part number let me know as I know where it is in the parts diagram.
    thank you. I have already ordered a spring and bushing. Going to start from scratch with your instructions.

Spyder Garage

thx monkeyboymorton - that was too easy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    thx monkeyboymorton - that was too easy
    You are more than welcome and glad you are sorted .

Spyder Garage

Brother,

You just helped me out a ton. I could NOT get that spring to line up, when I did it would slip out. Your technique of only loosening the three bolts and leaving the collar alone did the trick. NOW I have a base F3 2022 with cruise control! What a day it has been lol.

Cheers,
    Ralph

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Does anybody know if it's possible to get a stronger spring?
    The reason I ask is I just installed a ISCI hand brake on my RT and my initial use of it I find that I roll on the throttle while applying the hand brake.
    To be fair I haven't road tested the Spyder with the hand brake yet as we still have a couple feet of snow and there maybe a bit of a learning curve with it but never had this problem riding a wheeler...
    This makes no sense to me .... if you " roll on " the throttle ' the grip Must turn counter clockwise ..... applying the hand brake can cause the throttle to close ie. Clockwise ..... Just mho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike the post was started in 2018! Is he still around?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm glad I found this. My spring popped out while replacing an end cap. Will be doing this procedure later today

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue