Spyder Garage

Default Glacier National Park

My son and I are thinking about a ride from Spokane to Glacier Park this coming August, and taking the Going to the Sun ride. Any suggestions on what to expect, what to look for, best places to stay and good restaurants. We have made the ride to Cody over Bear tooth Pass and to Deadwood. Sturges etc. Any suggestions or information appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Road Trip

Wow, Sounds like a great Road Trip. My Tip 'RYDE SAFE and be SAFE '.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two words: Huckleberry pie!

We stayed just outside of Kalispell MT and did the loop over to St Mary, then down and back along MT2. Google won't let me tag RT49 (closed winters) to the East Glacier Village but it's worth a detour.
    https://goo.gl/maps/9CpCRGmcwKq

Another nice scenic ride is the loop around Flathead Lake.

If you have time, head south to Missoula, and take Lolo Pass back to Lewiston before heading north to Spokane.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...7&d=1521816564
    Last edited by asp125; 04-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Actual touring of the park

My wife and I did Glacier Park in August and it was beautiful. One thing you may want to consider is when you get there, just park the trike for a few hours and take one of the open top buses to tour the park. It will be much more relaxing and the driver will narrate while he/she takes you to all the best spots and you won't have to deal with the limited parking and traffic issues throughout the park. You will still have plenty of opportunity to enjoy the riding time in the surrounding areas so you won't be losing out on anything.
    We found accommodations needed to be reserved in advance but stayed quite a ways east of the park so did not have much of a problem.
    Hope you have as nice a time as we did.
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should definitely ryde by Flathead Lake. Especially late afternoon as the sun gets low. Look at the mountains on the east side of the lake. The evening light at that place is beautiful.

In August the weather at the base of the Going-to-the-Sun is warm, but you'll be cold at the top. Be sure to take a jacket and scarf.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You want to stay as close to the Park entrance as you can as the lines on the West side get very long early. We stayed just south of West Glacier at the Sundance Campground and then again in St. Marys . We had come up from Yellowstone so we started on the East Side and rode over the Going to the Sun Road . Great views but just start as early as you can as the traffic piles up fast. There were several Large fires at the park after we left so do your research before you plan your route.

Glacier Park Ride 009.jpg Glacier Park Ride 058.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Summer of 2016 we did Glacier from east to west. Stayed 2 nights at a motel in Bigfork. Day after arriving we reversed our route back over "Going to The Sun" to St Mary, south to Kiowa (great lunch stop), then continued the loop on hwy #2 past Nyack and back to Bigfork for our 2nd night stay. It was a fabulous day tour that I'd do again in a minute. As a side note.... Highway 2 parallels a river in places. We stopped at an overlook that was well above the river. We could see rafters floating lazily down a pretty calm river but could also see rapids further ahead of them. In my deep hollowed voice I echoed down the canyon to the floaters that "There are rapids ahead. Be prepared" "This is GOD speaking" They looked around and had no idea where the message was coming from. I do have a warped sense of humor......Have a great trip and enjoy
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I agree with Denno. In late June, 2008 a friend and I intended to ride Going to the Sun Road as we bicycled across the country but the road was still closed following a late spring blizzard and the park service was struggling to have it open for the 7/4 holiday. We took an open bus tour instead and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. August should be fine for you. Enjoy the bison meatloaf while there. Would love to go back and do it on my Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My wife did that ride last year and it was amazing. I loved it. Since you've done the Bear Tooth, try Chief Joseph pass this time. It's supposed to be amazing too. I wasn't able to do both on my trip. I just did Bear Tooth, so next time is Chief Joseph.

We stayed at a small hotel outside of the park. It was pretty pricey, but since it was a bucket list ride we splurged and we don't regret it. The biggest thing I found was early reservations everywhere in that area was the key.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I did a coast to coast several years ago taking in many national parks. I rode bear tooth pass to the top and then returned the way I came from the west so I could continue my trip on Chief Joseph. A most memorable trip. Late July was when I went. Still some sow at the tops but roads were clear.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Watch out for "Yogi Bear", he lingers within and occasionally visits campgrounds. Been there a few times but it has been a while. I believe the old lodge on the East side burned down a few years back. We stayed there and it was awesome.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did it last year on the spyder and a few years before, 2011, on the Venture.
    We stay at the KOA in West Glacier, its very close the the entrance of the park, has a GREAT restaurant in the park, and a lot of willing people who are willing to talk to you about their knowledge of the roads in the area. Did Yellowstone on the same trip.
    2012-07-27 11.35.14.jpg20170705_193828.jpg20170706_193003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The Belton Chalet on the west side of the park was nice. Old and unique, little pricey though.

http://www.beltonchalet.com/index.php

Great breakfast on the east side.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...k_Montana.html

image.jpg

Pat
    Last edited by TEWKS; 04-13-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: more info

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Did Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Bear tooth, on the Wing in 2012. Hope to do the same trip on the Spyder some time soon. Be safe. Mac
    Exactly what we did last year, i just didn't list them all. It is an awesome trip! Too bad the weather here still sucks!

Time to plan this years trip.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Did the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Bear Tooth on the Wing in 2012. Hope to do it on the Spyder sometime soon. Be safe. Mac2011 Andrew 2012 029.jpg2011 Andrew 2012 055.jpg2012 096.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Wife and I did it/

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    My son and I are thinking about a ride from Spokane to Glacier Park this coming August, and taking the Going to the Sun ride. Any suggestions on what to expect, what to look for, best places to stay and good restaurants. We have made the ride to Cody over Bear tooth Pass and to Deadwood. Sturges etc. Any suggestions or information appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    My wife and I did the ride about 4 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a scenic tour of all the road repairs she worked on - she was a Project Engineer for Federal Highways. We came in from East Glacier because we'd been touring MT. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. There are plenty of pull off's. Be sure to stop at Packers Roost, it's "unique" to say the least. It was one of my wife's road crews watering hole. Kalispel is a nice city also.

Spyder Garage

We stayed at the lodge, did the red bus tours about 4 times. Then rented a car, went to baniff, then west through the Canadian Rockies, to Jasper. Took a trip to Lake Malign, then back to Glacier. Off the chart beauty.