Spyder Garage

Default flash ecu results

Well I got flashed ecu back on and filled her up with 93 octane and took her for a short ride and did not notice much difference-----until I realized the rear wheel was spinning and I got up to 60 real quick and the throttle response is much quicker. Can't wait til I can really take her out for a long ride. Anyone know what to expect mpg wise? Also I thought I read that I might get better traction by lowering the rear psi. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Well I got flashed ecu back on and filled her up with 93 octane and took her for a short ride and did not notice much difference-----until I realized the rear wheel was spinning and I got up to 60 real quick and the throttle response is much quicker. Can't wait til I can really take her out for a long ride. Anyone know what to expect mpg wise? Also I thought I read that I might get better traction by lowering the rear psi. Thanks, Mike
    ..... I hope you have switched to Auto tires, if not you will disintegrate the Kenda's in short order ............ as far as REAR tire pressure goes ( this ONLY applies to an Auto tire ) It should be 16 to 18 psi for maximum Traction ( under all conditions )........ I see you are using 93 Octane ....from everything I've read about the ECU flash, the computer is going to Learn what Fuel you use, and adjust accordingly....... Soooooooooo if you can't use 93 Oct. consistently, the system is going to be constantly adjusting to what ever Oct you put in...... Now you may know that already and that's good news ....if not I would verify my Octane comments with Monster ........ good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I still have the stock rear tire. With all the posts about auto tires what is the best choice for mine? I'm sure the current one will be gone this summer as it has 13000 on it already. I gotta be careful with the throttle, she's real sensitive now. Can't wait to ride. The guy I bought it from in Florida also gave me two new tires for later. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

'BEST' depends on what you are looking for. I wanted BETTER traction and handling than the Kenda. A bit more mileage as well but not as high on the priority list. Found this in the Yokohama S-Drive. Others go for less traction and more miles. There are better traction tires as well with even fewer miles.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER - REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I still have the stock rear tire. With all the posts about auto tires what is the best choice for mine? I'm sure the current one will be gone this summer as it has 13000 on it already. I gotta be careful with the throttle, she's real sensitive now. Can't wait to ride. The guy I bought it from in Florida also gave me two new tires for later. Thanks, Mike
    I like the Altimax RT 43 ( lowest price Great tire ) but you may NEED the Michelin Defender H&T model or the Michelin Premier for a bit more longevity..... getting used to the power delivery is actually more important......because Ultimate Traction tires ( they are DOT legal ) are known as Track Day tires and would be suicide in the wet on a Spyder, because the difference in traction ( F to R ) would cause the Nanny to have fits ........... Have you checked on the Octane issue ???? ............ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-09-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

From Monster Fuel

The factory bike requires 91 octane. As stated in your owners manual.
    Adding performance tuning makes that all the more necessary.

"You can add octane booster to 91. Or even use 93. And the bike will benefit and you should feel the difference after half a tank of runtime. (If not, its not helping and wasting money)

But stay away from 87. Its crap fuel with alot of additives. " Thanks, Mike

Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Not all stations around here have 91 octane. Oh where are those old Sunoco stations that alot of premiums along with Sunoco 260. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Here are some responses from Monster about the ecu flash. How many people out there have flashed? Maybe we need a flash group to talk back and forth.
    Hi Steve, had her out for a couple of short rides and so far I am very happy. Below is a post about using 93 octane. I cannot always find 93 so I may use 91. Will this confuse the nanny?

Also what effect should the flash have on my MPGs? Thanks alot, Mike

I see you are using 93 Octane ....from everything I've read about the ECU flash, the computer is going to Learn what Fuel you use, and adjust accordingly....... Soooooooooo if you can't use 93 Oct. consistently, the system is going to be constantly adjusting to what ever Oct you put in...... Now you may know that already and that's good news ....if not I would verify my Octane comments with Monster ........ good luck .... Mike

Diff octanes --- N0, not at all. The ecu makes adjustments everytime the engine fires. For each cylinder. Thats its job. Even pump fuel from 1 station to the next is not the same. Or if you change elevation, temperatures, locations near or far from large bodies of water have different moisture content in the air etc.
    You can use either fuel. 91 is minimum. 93 will perform a tad better. You cannot overwork or confuse an ecu. Change freely.

MPGs --- for cruising - no because you have more power and could get throttle happy - yes
    More throttle opening burns more fuel More rpm burns more fuel Drive same as before and gas mileage is same as before

Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Two things that are not widely known after flash is done...
    With the new programming there is no more key on wait on a RT. turn the key, start the bike.
    The other which really caught me off guard is the Spyder will start in gear without the brake being applied!
    It does automatically switch into neutral but I for one was not expecting that!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Two things that are not widely known after flash is done...
    With the new programming there is no more key on wait on a RT. turn the key, start the bike.
    The other which really caught me off guard is the Spyder will start in gear without the brake being applied!
    It does automatically switch into neutral but I for one was not expecting that!
    Good to know, i hadn't noticed either but ive only put on 15-20 miles. I won't get a chance to check until I get back from Hawaii in 2 weeks. Haven't seen . a Spyder out here, did see one Slingshot
    Last edited by wmh9680; 04-15-2018 at 01:50 AM.
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default OK, Newbie here

What does flashing the ECU do exactly and why would I want to do it? We have a 2013 RTL and it seems fine to me, but again I am jut a joy rider
    Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Fire34, IF it did nothing more than what PurpleGuy said earlier, it would be WORTH it. '13's ECU's are notoriously difficult to remove though, and if you're just a Joy rider having fun on your spyder, keep enjoying it as is. (Says the guy with too many farkles already and i haven't started this years....)

Here's a few other threads that discuss the benefits like "Gives you better two up passing power. More power for pulling a trailer. "
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...as-ORDERED-YET

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tion-ECU-Flash

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...el-ECM-upgrade
    Last edited by DGoebel; 04-16-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    What does flashing the ECU do exactly and why would I want to do it? We have a 2013 RTL and it seems fine to me, but again I am jut a joy rider
    Thanks guys

Dave
    Well I Wasn't looking to make a crotch rocket but more 2 up getup and go and more power in when I needed. It now has more power bottom to top with more torque and it pulls hard bottom to top. The throttle response is much quicker in that I will have to be careful and learn it. The tires actually squeal at takeoff when getting it on so much that I will end up with an auto tire on the rear. It can get a little squirrelly on corners. Again I will have to learn this. I'm very happy as I got more than I needed but I will only use it when necc.
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RSS that is rated at 100hp @ 7500RPM with Two Brothers exhaust. It sounds like even though I keep the stock RPM limit that I may get up to 125HP. I have been to the Monster Fuel Injection web site and they show instructions for ECU removal for the 1300 but not the 998. Does anyone have instructions for that?

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Fire34, IF it did nothing more than what PurpleGuy said earlier, it would be WORTH it. '13's ECU's are notoriously difficult to remove though, and if you're just a Joy rider having fun on your spyder, keep enjoying it as is. (Says the guy with too many farkles already and i haven't started this years....)

Here's a few other threads that discuss the benefits like "Gives you better two up passing power. More power for pulling a trailer. "
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...as-ORDERED-YET

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tion-ECU-Flash

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...el-ECM-upgrade