Spyder Garage

Default Electrical wiring damage

Well, looking for some help and I’ll give a rundown on what I did. So the switch I put in to turn off her stereo so it saves battery while not using the bike was in a spot that one could accidently turn it on - putting helmet in frunk for example. So I decided to relocate it and thought I had it connected correctly, turned it on and bam, dead short, wire started burning before I was able to turn the switch off. No fuse in line from battery to switch, unfortunately I put the fuse after the switch. Reason for negative at the switch was to power an illuminated switch so she could tell if stereo was off or on.

After calmimg down and kicking myself I decided to make sure her 2013 Spyder ST would fire up, it did. But after 10 seconds I got “ check transmission” then it showed “ check engine” message on computer. Also, would not shift into gear, turn signals won’t work and no high beam. Also, the computer won’t go through menu items. I have headlight low beam, tail lights and her heated grips, fog lights and parking brake work.

Looked at the obvious few fuses, nothing obvious, fuses tested good with ohmeter. Not sure how to test the bigger black relay/ fuses or whatever they are.

Any suggestions on what else I could look at? This was basically a dead short across the battery and melted the insulation off the wires, not sure how it could have affected any other wiring but apparently it did.

Not a way to end the weekend

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneR View Post
    Well, looking for some help and I’ll give a rundown on what I did. So the switch I put in to turn off her stereo so it saves battery while not using the bike was in a spot that one could accidently turn it on - putting helmet in frunk for example. So I decided to relocate it and thought I had it connected correctly, turned it on and bam, dead short, wire started burning before I was able to turn the switch off. No fuse in line from battery to switch, unfortunately I put the fuse after the switch. Reason for negative at the switch was to power an illuminated switch so she could tell if stereo was off or on.

After calmimg down and kicking myself I decided to make sure her 2013 Spyder ST would fire up, it did. But after 10 seconds I got “ check transmission” then it showed “ check engine” message on computer. Also, would not shift into gear, turn signals won’t work and no high beam. Also, the computer won’t go through menu items. I have headlight low beam, tail lights and her heated grips, fog lights and parking brake work.

Looked at the obvious few fuses, nothing obvious, fuses tested good with ohmeter. Not sure how to test the bigger black relay/ fuses or whatever they are.

Any suggestions on what else I could look at? This was basically a dead short across the battery and melted the insulation off the wires, not sure how it could have affected any other wiring but apparently it did.

Not a way to end the weekend
    Considering your lack of understanding about electrical systems, I think the only responsible advice is to take it to a qualified shop. Don't touch that bike again except to ride it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Considering your lack of understanding about electrical systems, I think the only responsible advice is to take it to a qualified shop. Don't touch that bike again except to ride it.
    Unfortunaley I know exactly what I did, I just don’t know what damage I caused. But good advice, same one my wife gave me an hour ago

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAD SHORT

Unfortunaley I know exactly what I did, I just don’t know what damage I caused. But good advice, same one my wife gave me an hour ago
    Even tho our batteries seem small by comparison to most auto / trk. batteries, they can produce enough juice to fry wires pretty quickly...... You at a minimum strip out all the wires you put on the system for your project...... and check very closely any wires that were near them ........... PS this is why on this Forum people discuss using / adding a separate fuse block for any and all additional circuits ........Fuses are your friend ..... not dissing you on this , you were lucky this time......Answering your particular situation would require me ...seeing it .........good luck ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Even tho our batteries seem small by comparison to most auto / trk. batteries, they can produce enough juice to fry wires pretty quickly...... You at a minimum strip out all the wires you put on the system for your project...... and check very closely any wires that were near them ........... PS this is why on this Forum people discuss using / adding a separate fuse block for any and all additional circuits ........Fuses are your friend ..... not dissing you on this , you were lucky this time......Answering your particular situation would require me ...seeing it .........good luck ...... Mike
    As far as I can tell the only wires damaged are the wires from my switch to the battery. Also the iginition was offf. Basically connected positive and negative across the battery and let them burn. My guess is fuses but more concerned about the computer. But I hear you on the fuseblock, dumb on my part.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WIRING ISSUES & COMPUTER

As far as I can tell the only wires damaged are the wires from my switch to the battery. Also the iginition was offf. Basically connected positive and negative across the battery and let them burn. My guess is fuses but more concerned about the computer. But I hear you on the fuseblock, dumb on my part.
    ... If the Spyder was not " ON " ( even just the switch ) ....Unless you were in a CIRCUIT connected to one of the computers I don't see how ANY of them could be affected by your wiring error .....Remember ALL the OEM - BRP wiring is Protected, so you should check all the OEM Protection devices.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... If the Spyder was not " ON " ( even just the switch ) ....Unless you were in a CIRCUIT connected to one of the computers I don't see how ANY of them could be affected by your wiring error .....Remember ALL the OEM - BRP wiring is Protected, so you should check all the OEM Protection devices.... Mike
    Thank you, calling dealer tomorrow for some guidance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your switch was connected directly to the battery, then you wont have any blown fuses. Also, i am afraid blueknight is incorrect. The electronics are protected, but only on the positive side. If you did a direct short to the bike ground, then you may have damaged the ECU by sending power through the bike chassis and into the negative side of the ECU causing damage. Your symptoms of nonthing working on the handlebar controls are poimting to the CAN-BUS system not working and it may be damaged. CAN-BUS uses low voltage somewhere around 5 volts and may have been damaged by a voltage spike. Good luck and let us know what the fix is.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-09-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    If your switch was connected directly to the battery, then you wont have any blown fuses. Also, i am afraid blueknight is incorrect. The electronics are protected, but only on the positive side. If you did a direct short to the bike ground, then you may have damaged the ECU by sending power through the bike chassis and into the negative side of the ECU causing damage. Your symptoms of nonthing working on the handlebar controls are poimting to the CAN-BUS system not working and it may be damaged. CAN-BUS uses low voltage somewhere around 5 volts and may have been damaged by a voltage spike. Good luck and let us know what the fix is.

Joel is correct on this one. I have experienced this on vehicles and electronics before. It is technically called a ground loop and can be quite damaging to electronics. I hope this is not what happened to your Spyder.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Joel is correct on this one. I have experienced this on vehicles and electronics before. It is technically called a ground loop and can be quite damaging to electronics. I hope this is not what happened to your Spyder.

I fear that may be the case. I don’t even want to know how much this will cost. I’ll update

Spyder Garage

Lucked out, blew a fuse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for your trouble.

For the possible benefit of others:
    If you have an OEM radio, it draws only a tiny, TINY bit of power when off; very near to nothing.

So the entire project is unnecessary because a healthy battery will last months just sitting.

If it will be sitting for weeks at a time without being ridden, attaching a battery tender is a much better idea.
    But if it is ridden for a substantial distance once every couple of weeks, even the tender is really not necessary.

Spyder Garage

May i suggest install a trickle charge plug and just plug it in when you park it better for the battery and never an issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    May i suggest install a trickle charge plug and just plug it in when you park it better for the battery and never an issue

It has one, it is always on a trickle charger when in the garage. Good advice though, thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    And may I suggest that a cheap "trickle charger" often is worse than no charger at all ??

If you are going to do this, you need a small "smart" fully automatic tender type charger.