Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default License

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I haven't encountered that person but I am sure they exist. Unfortunately some states do not require Spyder drivers to have a motorcycle license and that situation could lead to the driver you described. IMO all 2 or 3 wheel cyclist should be required to take the MSF class as part of the licensing process - and the license should be required in all states.
    Listen, I don't have a problem with everyone getting a license, but requiring the MSF course in my opinion should not be a requirement. If the insurance company wants to give a discount for it , so be it, but to require it is not necessary. When I started riding, you didn't need a helmet or license. I have been riding since 1966. I put have put alot of miles on bikes and my Spyder, as have most of my riding buddies, none of which have had the MSF. It all comes down to common sense, and learning on your own. As I have seen from some college grads, education doesn't equal smart!
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

It should not be a requirement.

I took the MSF course years ago after I already had my license and years of 2-wheeler experience. I learned some things and felt that I was a better rider for it.

Fast forward to the Spyder, I would love to take a 3-wheeler MSF course, but I can't seem to find one here. The wife and I will have to look into a road trip to join one!
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

I’ve been ryding motorcycles of all kinds since the mid sixties. Motocross, enduros, street bikes, big ones and small ones. I even raced motocross’s. Rode a 1949 Indian with “suicide shift”. No accidents. Not even a speeding ticket. Insurance asked me if I had a riders’ course. I said no. It didn’t exist back then! So they charge me extra for not having a certificate. I probably have more experience than the instructor has but still. WHAAAAAt?

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Lots of great replies to this thread. When I started my MC experience (mid 60's) there were no safety courses to take. MN was just considering a helmet law.

I jumped in and bought my first. An 80 cc Yamaha one lunger. It did not take me long to seize the piston on the one.

I did not go the three wheel route until 2008 when I purchased my first one. At that time I got it because it was new and interesting. I did not develop my hip issues until 2011 or so.

I rode three wheels from 2012 to 2017. I have another two wheeler again.

For me, in 2008 it was the "unlearning" curve of about 1500 miles before I was comfortable with the quirks of the Spyder. The first hundred miles were actually a bit scary. Now, 130,000 plus miles later--I think I like em.

Those who ride them for the first time--keep in mind the safety stuff and remember you can be killed on a Spyder just as easy as on a two wheeler. The Spyder is a bit safer than a two wheeler, but will not make you invincible.

I still remember when they first came out and were offering free rides to the press. One person got aboard and promptly crashed and totaled the new Spyder. Oooooooooooooooops.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    Listen, I don't have a problem with everyone getting a license, but requiring the MSF course in my opinion should not be a requirement.
    FL's made it law -
    "Starting on July 1, 2008 the State of Florida requires that new Motorcyclists (regardless of age) must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Training Program before they get a motorcycle only license or can have the Motorcycle Endorsement added to their drivers license."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    FL's made it law -
    "Starting on July 1, 2008 the State of Florida requires that new Motorcyclists (regardless of age) must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Training Program before they get a motorcycle only license or can have the Motorcycle Endorsement added to their drivers license."

a trike only license endorsement is available in FL. With that, you cannot ride 2 wheels, only 3.
    A trike/sidecar course is required, not a motorcycle (2 wheel) course.
    A motorcycle endorsement allows you to ride 2 or three wheels (even with no 3 wheel training).
    Last edited by ofdave; 04-10-2018 at 06:21 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    a trike only license endorsement is available in FL. With that, you cannot ride 2 wheels, only 3. A trike/sidecar course is required.
    And I nervously await my 2 day course next month with OOSI.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    And I nervously await my 2 day course next month with OOSI.
    the trike riding course, right?
    not for a traffic/speeding ticket (that'll be your next class)

in the trike class I bet it won't take you long to realize how much better a Spyder does than a standard trike.
    and the classroom part does have some good stuff to learn also

no need to be nervous, you'll do fine
    Last edited by ofdave; 04-11-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Its not what you ride, its that you ride! I've ridden the two wheeler variety and always was overly concerned about the balancing and keeping control. Always practice safe riding, but it sure is nice to be able to enjoy the ride without all the worry.
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    Its not what you ride, its that you ride! I've ridden the two wheeler variety and always was overly concerned about the balancing and keeping control. Always practice safe riding, but it sure is nice to be able to enjoy the ride without all the worry.

hey Chefex, WELCOME !
    first post I see
    so introduce yourself and tell us about your Spyder, pics would even be better.

Spyder Garage

I've owned several motorcycles sporadically over the years, so I have some motorcycle experience but not a huge amount. I have, however, taken both the basic and advanced motorcycle safety courses -- the advanced course was just last year before I got the Spyder. IMO my motorcycle experience and training is/was virtually useless for riding the Spyder. I can't think of anything I learned in those courses that's applicable to the Spyder other than things like looking far ahead and being very vigilant, but that's common sense anyway. The Spyder has handlebars, the controls are somewhat like a motorcycle, you sit like a motorcycle and it has one rear wheel. There's nothing helpful about these topics in the MSF courses. The focus of the MSF courses is on turning and braking. Those are absolutely of vital importance for motorcycles but have no bearing on the Spyder, which drives exactly like a little car. In fact, I think it might have been even easier to pick up riding the Spyder if I hadn't been riding motorcycles for years. Those who feel the NEED for special training on the Spyder can do the exercises shown on the Spyder DVD that comes with the Spyder and I believe BRP offers some training of its own. If you're a decent car driver, that should be more than sufficient ... assuming you have the proper state licensing.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    I came to the Spyder community in May 16 without any 2 wheel experience. I rode a 2wheeler once in a grass field with an experienced rider behind me. Every time I stopped the bike nearly tipped over.

My wife and I had been eyeing other Spyder riders on the road for a couple of years. A good friend (who is a 2 wheel rider) had a chance to rider a Spyder. His experience encouraged me to seriously look into getting one myself. I eventually bought a new 15 St-L. With no riding experience and just haven’t passed my motorcycle learners permit, I had my friend ride it home for me (busy city streets and freeway to get home). Once Home, my friend gave me a few tips and I did a couple of rides down our residential street.

I eventually took a Spyder specific course which was excellent. The instructor emphasized to ride as though we had a target on our back.

my biggest learning over the past couple of years....
    - initially I reached for a hand brake from my bicycle experience
    - being ultra alert. This sorta came naturally since I was obviously out in the open
    - every time I sat down I felt like I should be putting a seatbelt on
    - going on the freeway the first few times was very scary!
    - even though I hadn’t yet started following other rider experiences (Spyder lovers and Facebook), I was concerned about the spiders reliability. Was concerned I’d get stranded if I went too far away.

My wife and I enjoy the Spyder; there is no way we would enjoy riding 2wheels. Hopefully in June I will be taking another course and getting my full motorcycle (3 wheel only) license.
    Similar, bought Spyder last year 5/1/17, never driven a two wheeler before, took the Motorcycle Safety Course (with my wife) and provided us with scooters rather than motorcycles two weeks before we bought our RT.

Still learning, but 3500 miles on last year, have not spent much time on the Interstate, I'm more comfortable with it now, but still hate it. Spent most of the 3500 within 50 miles of home, worried about dealer support when traveling abroad. That's my biggest concern and drawback, it's not like Harley's where there is a dealership nearly every 50 miles or so and plus being on the board has not helped with the reservations I've got about dealers abroad. I see see more complains here than compliments and that concerns me but if I waited for that to change would be dead before I bought one. So said screw it.

Much fun so far and wish it would stop snowing so could ride, Iowa winter sucks!
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

a trike only license endorsement is available in FL. With that, you cannot ride 2 wheels, only 3.
    A trike/sidecar course is required, not a motorcycle (2 wheel) course.
    A motorcycle endorsement allows you to ride 2 or three wheels (even with no 3 wheel training).

Same here in Maryland and the problem is the M/C written test is all geared towards a 2 wheel bike which is a disadvantage for those of us who never ridden a 2 wheel bike. After you pass the written test you are issued a learner's permit where you ride in close proximity to another licensed rider until you take the skills test and are issued your permit. At the skills test, you "pretend" that the lines for the 2 wheel bikes are a "little wider, but not much" as you take the test. (What?) Most of the 3 wheel courses here are held at the local HD dealerships and unless you have a Spyder you learn on one of their trikes. Once you pass one of the certified 3 wheel courses, you are issued a certificate which you take to the DMV and are given your 3 wheel endorsement. The DMV schedules a few 3 wheel courses, which consist of a 3 day course of classroom and riding instruction and you MUST attend all three days at their central location - but if you live a few hours away, you either drive each day to and from the course location or stay at a close-by motel. Maryland doesn't make anything easy. We have the advantage of living close to a large high school with a large parking lot where I spent a lot of time practicing turns and stops at various speeds and in general, just getting the feel and hang of things - which I considered my basic training. The salesman at our dealership gives each purchaser a crash course - goes over the bike, explains and demonstrates the controls and equipment and then takes you on a ten mile ride before he sends you on his way - - which was extremely helpful.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

the trike riding course, right?
    not for a traffic/speeding ticket (that'll be your next class)

in the trike class I bet it won't take you long to realize how much better a Spyder does than a standard trike.
    and the classroom part does have some good stuff to learn also

no need to be nervous, you'll do fine
    Have limited (hey, let me try that!) two-wheel experience and absolutely no trike. Posted in the general forum about the trouble I had trying to mount a '18 F3 at a dealership, total disaster. Not too worried about the classroom stuff, pretty good at that. I just don't want to not be be able to ride, or fall and hurt myself or worse someone else. Been driving myself absolutely insane and more than a month to go.

Spyder Garage

Iowa requires a motorcycle license or a motorcycle license with a 3 wheel restriction to ride a spyder. I've had very limited motorcycle experience but a lot of common sense and a strong motorized vehicle sense. I wanted a spyder so I went to the DMV and rented a motorcycle from the shop across the street. I had to push it across the street to the DMV to take the test. I also have a spinal injury so I'm pretty limited in my foot skills and my walking ability. I rode that bike for the first time and my first experience and I PASSED THE TEST first time. So really, the Spyder was my first "bike" but I'd challenge any of you to a mountain sledding competition or an ATV race . I felt right at home on my spyder and I enjoyed ripping up Pikes Peak on that beast.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

My wife and each have our own spyder and came with no 2 wheel experience other than the DMV Motorcycle class which we took on motorcycles. Spyders drive like a 4 wheeler which I have a lot of experience. We took the class for the head knowledge. That alone was worth the money and the things I learned have saved my hide several times in the last two years.
    I have to admit that every once in a while I would like to give a two wheeler a ride just to do it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRBorslien View Post

It should not be a requirement.

I took the MSF course years ago after I already had my license and years of 2-wheeler experience. I learned some things and felt that I was a better rider for it.

Fast forward to the Spyder, I would love to take a 3-wheeler MSF course, but I can't seem to find one here. The wife and I will have to look into a road trip to join one!

Tony and others interested...you may be able to find some info re a 3-wheeler course here (copied from the BRP site).
    I'm taking the 3WBRC course here in NJ in 2 weeks...and happy to have about 450-odd saddle smiles plus whatever I rack up this weekend.

For a limited time, learn to ride for only $75*.Choose your location and sign up to a class available near you.

A Can-Am Spyder will be provided for the duration of the course at no extra cost.
    For questions about the Can-Am Spyder Rider Education Program, call 1 (855) 257-3563.
    The program is rolling out in several states. If you want to be informed when the offer is available near you, click here.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My RTL was my first motorcycle, I never 2 wheeled. My father hated motorcycles for some reason, I mean he was not nice when driving around them.

On the note of training, I have ridden behind some people that have taken the course that should not be allowed to drive or control ANY kind of vehicle on the highways. I mean that shortcut in front of a semi after passing, they take forever to pass a vehicle, no signals, and they pull out in front of anyone with the attitude that they were there first.

A mandatory course, I don't think so that is BS. So you pay someone good money to sit there for a day or two and even if you don't learn anything that you use later you pass. Crapazolla! Follow the money.

Just a raw uncut opinion, but it is mine, I own it.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

First post this site. Saw the thread and am intrigued with everyone's responses. I rode 2 wheels for decades while in the military and later in civilian life. Had to get the 'M' endorsement on my license in Texas but also had to take a safety course while in service to be allowed to ride on base. Helmets weren't an option they were mandatory. Due to injuries in an accident (hit by a car as a pedestrian) I thought I was off the road forever except in a 4 wheeler. I finally was able to get the wife to allow another "in-the-wind machine" at the house. She actually surprised me with a 2008 Spyder with 8800 miles on it for my last birthday. All maintenance records and upkeep were documented. It is an awesome machine and I love that I can get back on the road again. It took a bit to get acclimated to the idiosyncrasies of this bike but, now that I have about 500 miles on it, I am beginning to get the feel for it and am enjoying the ride again. Hope to see some of you on the road here in Texas. Wish all of you fair skies and clear roads!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    First post this site. Saw the thread and am intrigued with everyone's responses. I rode 2 wheels for decades while in the military and later in civilian life. Had to get the 'M' endorsement on my license in Texas but also had to take a safety course while in service to be allowed to ride on base. Helmets weren't an option they were mandatory. Due to injuries in an accident (hit by a car as a pedestrian) I thought I was off the road forever except in a 4 wheeler. I finally was able to get the wife to allow another "in-the-wind machine" at the house. She actually surprised me with a 2008 Spyder with 8800 miles on it for my last birthday. All maintenance records and upkeep were documented. It is an awesome machine and I love that I can get back on the road again. It took a bit to get acclimated to the idiosyncrasies of this bike but, now that I have about 500 miles on it, I am beginning to get the feel for it and am enjoying the ride again. Hope to see some of you on the road here in Texas. Wish all of you fair skies and clear roads!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Another 3-wheel-only ryder

About 7 years ago, my wife and I were talking about motorcycling in a sort of vague way -- we'd moved to Arkansas, and driving the state's roads in a car and seeing so many people clearly having a good time on their bikes really registered and resonated with us. The kids were about to leave the nest, so we were thinking it would be something we could do to fill up some of that time previously devoted to (insert sport here) practice, (insert activity here) events, etc... :-)

My son and I decided to take the basic MSF course (2-wheel) to test the waters -- him because he's bulletproof and going to live forever, so we wanted him to be prepared if he decided to go further with it, and me because I wanted to see if it was something my wife and I would enjoy.

Loved the course, felt it really helped me gain confidence and basic skills, but it also confirmed that a trike made more sense since our posture was for this to maximize relaxation fun vs. out on the edge fun. A trip overseas intervened, so it wasn't until late last year that we decided to go for it, aided and abetted by the Can-Am course subsidy. Getting to essentially test drive a Spyder for two days for $50 with a motorcycle endorsement coming out the back side of that seemed to be a good deal, and it was. We both loved it, and a week or so after finishing the course, drove over to Boerne to pick up our Spyder. (So Can-Am/BRP obviously got a good return on their $200 investment, too!) That ride back to Austin was really fun/exciting/scary all at once, and we are loving that sense of adventure that you get outside the cage.

To some of the various points made to date:

- Philosophically, I'm not a fan of mandating courses, etc., but am definitely in favor of incenting their use to make everyone safer. The problem with a total libertarian approach is that not all crashes/accidents are limited to one vehicle. The problem with a totally dictatorial approach is that some people... just don't get it even after they get it.

- For us, the BRC in both cases (2 + 3 wheel) was truly beneficial. Would recommend the Spyder-specific courses to anyone, whether total newbie like us or an experienced 2-wheeler wanting to make the shift.

- Definitely agree with the notion that newbies like me have less to unlearn, and all of my instinctual responses are and will be Spyder-specific. On the other hand, I still have a long way to go to get to a seriously safe place in terms of situational awareness, which only comes with repetitions. I make up for it by ryding "hyperdefensively" because I'm seeing so much for the first time.

And this forum is a huge reason why we took the plunge. Seeing how so many people were really enjoying their experience at so many different entry points and levels of engagement, and being able to absorb the collective wisdom (and wit) of so many people ahead of us on the same road is a huge benefit. I'm grateful to everyone who chips in with insight or opinion here, because we're still strangers in a strange land in many respects, and this forum makes the strange a lot of fun as opposed to scary.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue