Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Possible oil leak

Hi all", my RT 2010 Techno Spyder is ruinning good but I noticed there is a couple of oil marks on the outside of the drive belt. I looked underneath the left hand side and the plastic that covers the filters on the SE5 and a drain plug underneath with a hax head bolt on it has oil on it. I don't know where the oil is coming from but I look at it in the morning20180408_171918.jpg

Spyder Garage

I would say a good spray of brake clean and watch real close if you do not find any thing loose, is in order, good luck.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default read the labels

before spraying any type of cleaners , read the warning labels , think the brake cleaner , has one warning you need to really look at , melts plastics ... when I went through my 2012 , I used " mean green " degreaser , did a nice job , sprayed the area couple of times and whole lot easier to work on .... ( now lets look again at the leak on yours ! -----> have you changed the oil ,or anyone changed the oil for you ? you might have the missing " crush ring " missing on the drain plug , --or-- the seal in the oil filter might have been damaged ) take another photo of the side area where the leak is located --- photo of your cycle with skin off --- a close up of where the leak looks like it is coming from , and we all can give some sort of ed-u-macaded guess at what might be happening ! ( I went the easiest problem for you first , just hope is isn`t the drive gear that is on that side of your engine , a thread on the report of metal shavings and metal flakes will be seen in your oil drippings , this will say a lot " about where your problem will be " if you have this in the oil drippings that is ... waiting on those other photos ---- good luck brother

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    before spraying any type of cleaners , read the warning labels , think the brake cleaner , has one warning you need to really look at , melts plastics ... when I went through my 2012 , I used " mean green " degreaser , did a nice job , sprayed the area couple of times and whole lot easier to work on .... ( now lets look again at the leak on yours ! -----> have you changed the oil ,or anyone changed the oil for you ? you might have the missing " crush ring " missing on the drain plug , --or-- the seal in the oil filter might have been damaged ) take another photo of the side area where the leak is located --- photo of your cycle with skin off --- a close up of where the leak looks like it is coming from , and we all can give some sort of ed-u-macaded guess at what might be happening ! ( I went the easiest problem for you first , just hope is isn`t the drive gear that is on that side of your engine , a thread on the report of metal shavings and metal flakes will be seen in your oil drippings , this will say a lot " about where your problem will be " if you have this in the oil drippings that is ... waiting on those other photos ---- good luck brother
    sorry your right!! some do, I use the brake and parts cleaner type
    Last edited by Mikey; 04-08-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    sorry your right!! some do, I use the brake and parts cleaner type
    no problems my friend , just threw out a heads up in case the fellow rider go in a hurry and missed the warnings part on the labels { all good } well except poor fellow still has the leak !

Spyder Garage

Default hard to tell

but from the photo they have posted it looks like underneath shot of the drain plug region .... could also be a leaking hose clamp --- another cheaper easier fix

Spyder Garage

Default Possible Oil Leak

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all", my RT 2010 Techno Spyder is ruinning good but I noticed there is a couple of oil marks on the outside of the drive belt. I looked underneath the left hand side and the plastic that covers the filters on the SE5 and a drain plug underneath with a hax head bolt on it has oil on it. I don't know where the oil is coming from but I look at it in the morning20180408_171918.jpg
    Hi Guys thanks", and I cleaned the dity oil layer off side of enginge and I look at it again this week . as we know Spyders usually collect fluid of any sort at this plastic point under the bike,

Regards Peter