Spyder Garage

Default Possible oil leak

Hi all", my RT 2010 Techno Spyder is ruinning good but I noticed there is a couple of oil marks on the outside of the drive belt. I looked underneath the left hand side and the plastic that covers the filters on the SE5 and a drain plug underneath with a hax head bolt on it has oil on it. I don't know where the oil is coming from but I look at it in the morning20180408_171918.jpg

Spyder Garage

I would say a good spray of brake clean and watch real close if you do not find any thing loose, is in order, good luck.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default read the labels

before spraying any type of cleaners , read the warning labels , think the brake cleaner , has one warning you need to really look at , melts plastics ... when I went through my 2012 , I used " mean green " degreaser , did a nice job , sprayed the area couple of times and whole lot easier to work on .... ( now lets look again at the leak on yours ! -----> have you changed the oil ,or anyone changed the oil for you ? you might have the missing " crush ring " missing on the drain plug , --or-- the seal in the oil filter might have been damaged ) take another photo of the side area where the leak is located --- photo of your cycle with skin off --- a close up of where the leak looks like it is coming from , and we all can give some sort of ed-u-macaded guess at what might be happening ! ( I went the easiest problem for you first , just hope is isn`t the drive gear that is on that side of your engine , a thread on the report of metal shavings and metal flakes will be seen in your oil drippings , this will say a lot " about where your problem will be " if you have this in the oil drippings that is ... waiting on those other photos ---- good luck brother

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    before spraying any type of cleaners , read the warning labels , think the brake cleaner , has one warning you need to really look at , melts plastics ... when I went through my 2012 , I used " mean green " degreaser , did a nice job , sprayed the area couple of times and whole lot easier to work on .... ( now lets look again at the leak on yours ! -----> have you changed the oil ,or anyone changed the oil for you ? you might have the missing " crush ring " missing on the drain plug , --or-- the seal in the oil filter might have been damaged ) take another photo of the side area where the leak is located --- photo of your cycle with skin off --- a close up of where the leak looks like it is coming from , and we all can give some sort of ed-u-macaded guess at what might be happening ! ( I went the easiest problem for you first , just hope is isn`t the drive gear that is on that side of your engine , a thread on the report of metal shavings and metal flakes will be seen in your oil drippings , this will say a lot " about where your problem will be " if you have this in the oil drippings that is ... waiting on those other photos ---- good luck brother
    sorry your right!! some do, I use the brake and parts cleaner type
    Last edited by Mikey; 04-08-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    sorry your right!! some do, I use the brake and parts cleaner type
    no problems my friend , just threw out a heads up in case the fellow rider go in a hurry and missed the warnings part on the labels { all good } well except poor fellow still has the leak !

Spyder Garage

Default hard to tell

but from the photo they have posted it looks like underneath shot of the drain plug region .... could also be a leaking hose clamp --- another cheaper easier fix

Spyder Garage

Default One leak found on mine

Just went through locating leak on my 2013 rt, It turned out to be the breather hose going to the air cleaner. Was hard from heat and leak aroung the 90 deg fitting out of the head. Ordered a new hose and will be using regular hose clamps.

Spyder Garage

The picture makes it appear the drain bolt is leaking. This is common if whoever did the last oil change forgot to include the crush washer. It's a simple misteak , but not that uncommon.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Those crush washers are supposed to be replaced when you change your oil and filters as are the O rings. Many get the filters without the washers and O rings (re using the old ones) and these will fail as they will never be re-tightened in the same place and once you crush the washer it will not fill any gaps. It will be a small leak but leak none-the-less. The O rings also are compressed and heated and may take a shape that will not seal well. The 998 SE models had different length bolts to hold the filters on and if mixed up would break if over tightened or strip and not make a good seal.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Possible Oil Leak

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all", my RT 2010 Techno Spyder is ruinning good but I noticed there is a couple of oil marks on the outside of the drive belt. I looked underneath the left hand side and the plastic that covers the filters on the SE5 and a drain plug underneath with a hax head bolt on it has oil on it. I don't know where the oil is coming from but I look at it in the morning20180408_171918.jpg
    Hi Guys thanks", and I cleaned the dity oil layer off side of enginge and I look at it again this week . as we know Spyders usually collect fluid of any sort at this plastic point under the bike,

Regards Peter