Spyder Garage

Default F3 Overall Length

Looking at getting an F3 LTD or T. I am taking a Can-Am sponsored driving school in a couple of weeks to get my 3 wheel endorsement.
    Specifications on can-am.brp.com give a length for both as 102.2". The LTD has a trunk the looks to overhang the back, thus making it longer than the T. Does anyone have actual overall lengths for these models? Outside of front fender to outside of front fender width would help too. I am trying to figure out trailering options behind the motorhome.

Regards,

Don

UPDATE:
    My need to know actual length is because I plan to trailer with the Spyder sideways. Washington State & Federal law sets the max width of my load@102". That is also the width of my motorhome. The towdolly pic shows the inspiration for the dolly I am building to carry the Spyder, boat, & car. If I have to, I will slope the Spyder and remove trunk to get it down to 102" in length. Just wondering if someone has done the measurements - laser or plumb to floor. Kind of want to have the trailer ready for when I pick up the Spyder.

My original plan was for the Goldwing and a couple of enduros. However, I had an accident (non-vehicle) last year that left me with knee problems. No more 2 wheelers.
    Tandem Dolly.jpgDolly.jpg
    Last edited by dondje; 04-08-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

from the Can Am site
    F3T:https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/2018-m...yder-f3-t.html
    F3LTD:https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/2018-m...3-limited.html

just click "view full specs"

I searched for length and width and it seems most review and tests quote the factory numbers.
    A couple or three inches extra length for the LTD (if it is longer) would not have much impact on your trailer choice.

Do a search here for trailering. An awful lot has been posted on that subject.
    Last edited by ofdave; 04-08-2018 at 07:24 AM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Don:
    Yes, the F3L top case does overhang the back, making it slightly longer than an F3T (to which a top case could be added, also). If you're going to be trailering your F3 (whatever model you wind up with), you really don't want to be thinking ONLY of the minimum clearance/length required so as to simply wind up with the smallest possible trailer. Use the BRP specs and then add a few inches all around. Be a bit generous when choosing your trailer - you probably won't be disappointed with a little extra space or stronger, better built equipment, if you can afford it. If you buy an open deck trailer, you need to be able to drive your bike on with sufficient clearance between trailer wheel wells without scraping front fenders. A few extra inches width makes this easier and with greater peace of mind. Same applies to a covered cargo trailer - you need more than the minimum inside width of the door opening. A few extra inches always helps. As for length, you don't want to rub at either end. Also, you need sufficient room to climb around inside when attaching tie-downs after you load - a too small/short trailer can make this aggravating. You also might consider a front access door option if you go with a cargo trailer. As Dave has suggested, check out the threads found here on SL that discuss trailer options. There are many possibilities/choices. Make sure your tie-down attachment points are strong, and check your straps often when stopping for gas, etc. Use back-up tie-downs in case of breakage/failure. On my way north from FL just a few days ago, I discovered my main rear wheel tie-down had slipped completely out of its rachet lock. Why? not sure. But I had put a second rear strap in place as a precaution, so was in no danger. Just before I left the south, my neighbor looked over my load and said: "that's not going anywhere". I replied: "that's just the point". He was amused that my F3L was held down by 5 different individual rachet straps - one for each wheel, and one extra safety strap at front and rear frame. Overkill perhaps. But my bike was still on the trailer when I got home, even though one rear wheel strap was dragging along behind. And that's in spite of doing a 'circle check' to inspect the straps at least 5 different times during my 1400 mile trip. Things do happen even when you try your best to prevent them. Good luck with your driving course and much happiness with your future Spyder purchase. Be safe and have fun.
    Last edited by bushrat; 04-08-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    from the Can Am site
    F3T:https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/2018-m...yder-f3-t.html
    F3LTD:https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/2018-m...3-limited.html

just click "view full specs"

I searched for length and width and it seems most review and tests quote the factory numbers.
    A couple or three inches extra length for the LTD (if it is longer) would not have much impact on your trailer choice.

Do a search here for trailering. An awful lot has been posted on that subject.
    Dave...

It looks like you found the same information as I did. I have done a lot of research and all I get is the 102.2" for each - F3-LTD & F3-T, when we know they are not the same. Because I really need to know for sure, this has me a little concerned that the specified length isn't correct for either.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Looking at getting an F3 LTD or T. I am taking a Can-Am sponsored driving school in a couple of weeks to get my 3 wheel endorsement.
    Specifications on can-am.brp.com give a length for both as 102.2".
    Hmmm, that's odd because my manual has this listed for my F3S which I wouldn't imagine is as long as an F3T with the top box:

SPECIFICATIONS
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3
    FRONT RIMS Aluminum, 6-spoke, 15 x 5 in.
    REAR RIM Aluminum, 15 x 7 in.
    LENGTH 104.0 in.
    WIDTH 58.9 in.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Bushrat...

Thanks for all the info. The width between the ramp cables on the enclosed trailer is why I can't use it for the Spyder. Please see my post update to better understand my need to know. I have other plans for trailering that bring along more than just the Spyder. I am just hoping that I don't have to ramp the Spider in order to get to a 102" horizontal length.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Don:
    Just saw your "update" and understand now the reason for your questions re length. So, I went out and put a tape measure on my 2017 F3L with over-hanging top case. Since it's still loaded on my trailer and under a trailering cover, my measurements should be considered "approximate", but may help. I got a length of around 110/111 inches, measuring the ground from the perpendicular drop of the trailing edge of the top case to the same perpendicular drop to ground from the front of the nose. The fully equipped F3L would thus seem to be too long, or in excess of your 102" limit. Removing the top case might just give you enough savings to become 'legal'.

On our way north last spring, I passed a large RV motor home carrying a Spyder crossways on a platform attached to the rear of the RV. Can't recall the RV make, nor could I tell which model Spyder it was for sure, as it was wrapped in a BRP trailering cover. But this much I can say - I have seen it done. However, I'm not aware of what length that particular Spyder was, nor what the legally permitted load width was on those sections of Interstate. I believe most jurisdictions allow 102" before requiring "wide load" carrying permits, signs, flags, etc.

Oh, yeah; outside width from front fender to opposite front fender = approx. 59" on my F3L. Again, it was under wraps, but the tape measurement would be pretty close. The F3 is slightly more narrow than the RT by a couple of inches or so.

Good luck finding a solution.
    Roger
    Last edited by bushrat; 04-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Don:
    I passed a large RV motor home carrying a Spyder crossways on a platform attached to the rear of the RV.
    Roger...

Washington State calls that platform an extension. Doesn't require any licensing. It can be up to 102" wide and cannot extend more than 15' from the center line of the most rear axle.

Thank you for taking the time to do the measuring. I think I am going to the local dealership (50mi) to do same.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by dondje; 04-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

You could make it work by angling the spyder on the trailer. You would loose part of the space you have dedicated for storage in your drawing tho.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just measured an F3 LTD for fit in our trailer. 107" from tp to trailer hitch plus trunk overhangs the three hitch learning the OA length in that 110-111 inch range.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap