Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited Rear Shock

Does anyone know of a heavier duty rear shock for an F3 Limited? It has the automatic air adjustable now. An air bag that goes to higher pressure possibly??
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

I dont know of any reason to downgrade from a computer controlled air ride to anything else. You can upgrade your front shocks to Elkas is the only option I know of.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I dont know of any reason to downgrade from a computer controlled air ride to anything else. You can upgrade your front shocks to Elkas is the only option I know of.
    I do not want to downgrade. I want to upgrade for higher weight handling and equal or better performance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryinWI View Post
    I do not want to downgrade. I want to upgrade for higher weight handling and equal or better performance.
    I might be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but the rear shock and the air bag are separate component's. To improve the rear shock there are many options. I used Elka shocks all around, and happy with them.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

What is this computer control you speak of?

As far as I know the air ride for all Spyders are a spring assist system, and as such are only adjustable for (essentially) ride height by controlling how much air is in the bladder. The suspension itself is a sealed non-adjustable unit. It can't be adjusted for compression or rebound like the high end Elka's or Fox shocks. To my knowledge, the stock OEM shocks front and rear are rather simple and rather primitive suspension components.

Can Am is no different than any other manufacturer in this regard, so my observations are not criticisms.

To the OP: there are very limited options for changing the rear shock. I would suggest researching a spring rate calculator program. There are several companies who specialize in manufacturing custom springs for vehicles. You could/can remove the rear shock, which has a spring and airbag, and replace the spring with a higher rated spring that is appropriate for the load.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I might be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but the rear shock and the air bag are separate component's. To improve the rear shock there are many options. I used Elka shocks all around, and happy with them.
    All I know is that the limited comes with....

Rear Shock Type / Travel SACHS† shock with automatic air preload adjustment / 5.2 in. (132 mm)
    https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/2018-m...3-limited.html

I do not know more than that. I assume if it is automatic leveling, there is some sort of that controls it. The nanny seems to control everything else.
    None of the other F3 models come with this feature.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rear Shock Type / Travel SACHS† shock with automatic air preload adjustment / 5.2 in. (132 mm)

I do not know more than that. I assume if it is automatic leveling, there is some sort of that controls it. The nanny seems to control everything else.
    We have a 2016 F3L and it didn’t come with the auto system. I think he just needs an upgraded shock with a heavier spring.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone know of a heavier duty rear shock for an F3 Limited? It has the automatic air adjustable now. An air bag that goes to higher pressure possibly??
    Elka Shocks come to mind. https://us.elkasuspension.com/produc...-2016-to-2017/
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 04-08-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Okay. I was being too literal. Sorry.

I'm used to the motorcycle world where the newer technology is that the shocks and forks are indeed computer controlled. They have sensors that detect movements and then adjust on-the-fly. The compression, rebound, and ride height is all controlled by the central computer so that the ride is consistent and constant over a variety of conditions and road speeds.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default What year limited???

I have a 2016 F3 limited that is a manual fill air bag. There was a change over to the RT self filling style after my year?
    I put a stage 4 Elka in back. It took about an hour to switch it out. Bar far, the front Elka stage 2 shocks made the biggest improvement. The stage 4 rear has a remote high speed adjustment damper. Elka reps told me to turn in 15 clicks when I have a passenger as a starting point for two up extra load demands. I have not had a single road bump bottom out the rear Elka. The stock rear shock sometimes slammed me with a big hit when solo and a lot more often when riding two up.
    My friend on an F3S got the BRB upgrade??
    Either way, it's a big investment that was hard to swallow. but the total transformation in control and comfort is now worth the price.
    Dennis
    p.s. today I'm going to deflate the air bag and ride just on the Elka rear. I'll update later

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    To the OP: there are very limited options for changing the rear shock. I would suggest researching a spring rate calculator program. There are several companies who specialize in manufacturing custom springs for vehicles. You could/can remove the rear shock, which has a spring and airbag, and replace the spring with a higher rated spring that is appropriate for the load.
    Just change the spring on the shock to gain more capacity. The damping of the shock may not be optimal but is acceptable. A quality spring can be had for less than $100.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Listen to Dennis, above.... Upgrade your stock shock to an Elka or Wilbers, with rebound aduster. They are matched to your weight. You can go the whole hog and get compression damping and rebound damping, and you will have a magnificent ride. I know I do, with my Wilbers.....and yes....the airbag is a separate item from the shock.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post

Either way, it's a big investment that was hard to swallow. but the total transformation in control and comfort is now worth the price.
    Dennis
    p.s. today I'm going to deflate the air bag and ride just on the Elka rear. I'll update later
    I look forward to your feedback on that, Dennis.....I was thinking of doing the same.
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Shock options

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I have a 2016 F3 limited that is a manual fill air bag. There was a change over to the RT self filling style after my year?
    I put a stage 4 Elka in back. It took about an hour to switch it out. Bar far, the front Elka stage 2 shocks made the biggest improvement. The stage 4 rear has a remote high speed adjustment damper. Elka reps told me to turn in 15 clicks when I have a passenger as a starting point for two up extra load demands. I have not had a single road bump bottom out the rear Elka. The stock rear shock sometimes slammed me with a big hit when solo and a lot more often when riding two up.
    My friend on an F3S got the BRB upgrade??
    Dennis
    I am reading these posts with great interest. I left Va. Beach three weeks ago with 620 miles on my 2018 F3 limited. There are 6100 miles on it now and I really want info on improving the front shock performance. With it loaded and towing a trailer the front dips down excessivly when braking. Can I modify the stock shocks with anything to help? From what I've read I may want to upgrade the back shock but can't afford that just yet. Thanks in advance for your sharing and suggestions.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post
    I am reading these posts with great interest. I left Va. Beach three weeks ago with 620 miles on my 2018 F3 limited. There are 6100 miles on it now and I really want info on improving the front shock performance. With it loaded and towing a trailer the front dips down excessivly when braking. Can I modify the stock shocks with anything to help? From what I've read I may want to upgrade the back shock but can't afford that just yet. Thanks in advance for your sharing and suggestions.

John
    John, have a look at these shock adjusters from BajaRon. Lots of people swear by them. I can’t comment as I replaced my fronts and rears with Wilbers.
    Pete
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hock+adjusters
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Sway Bar

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post

John
    I just upgraded to a BajaRon Performance Sway Bar on my 17 F3L. Hugh improvement in front end stability. Corners much flatter. Can drift around corners if you push it. Best $280 i’ve Spent on my Spyder.