Thread: Double incident

Spyder Garage

Default Double incident

On my ride I had a display of “bad key” and a sputtering engine with a display of “check engine”. Both problems resolved themselves and I rode without incident for another 50 miles.
    i have had the Bad Key several times in the past and with just a “pull the key and walk away” all is well. The check engine concerns me.
    i have 2015 F3SE with approx. 13,000 mi. Can anyone please tell me how to view a code for this year and model?
    thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax.....

Check engine comes on with almost all warnings. As long as you have good oil level and pressure and coolant your engine is good. You should check the key issue as a lot failed with the DESS error. Still keep an eye on the warnings if they keep popping up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default how to retrieve codes

take your left thumb and depress BOTH the mode and set button. At the same time take your right thumb and depress the blinker button straight in. This is three buttons to depress at the same time. If the dash display screen is blank you have no codes. If you have a number like P000, usually a letter and four digits that is a code. Then come back to the forum and ask what it means.
    The bummer is there is not any magic sequence to push that clears the codes.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Default Codes

Dennis, thanks. Just went out and did the “press buttons” and no codes appeared on the screen. Will address the bad key issue soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Dennis, thanks. Just went out and did the “press buttons” and no codes appeared on the screen. Will address the bad key issue soon.
    If you get the error again retrieve the code before you turn the Spyder off. You can only retrieve active codes this way.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann. Very valuable information. I was hoping that the sputtering and check engine was due to bad gas and the problem would just resolve itself. Guess I will be taking it in to see if it threw a code.

Spyder Garage

No sputtering, but I have had the bad key a few times. I have a 2015 RT and the bike has always started after the key issue. I am going to have the DESS disabled as soon as I find someone in my area that can do it.
    2015 RT , Black