Spyder Garage

Unhappy Need Some Suggestions

Some info about me (Hi! I'm new here!) I'm disabled and use a walker to get around. I'm left. . . sided (hand/leg) but the left leg has issues. Ankle doesn't rotate, elevate or depress well, lacks about 30% strength. I'm also 338 lbs and 5'8" with a 25" inseam. I have wanted to ride since I was a kid and my sister bought a bike. The stars never aligned, and other than taking friend's bikes out for quick rides I never owned one. Since my accident (sadly a fall in the bathroom) I know there's no way I can ride a 2-wheeler, I'd be seriously afraid of my ability to support a bike and my weight. . . well that's an issue to. I watched hundreds of Spyder vids. Have loved these machines since I first saw one down here in FL. Looking at prices and listings I figured I could afford a fairly decent used model. Putting safety first I signed up for a beginners 3-wheeler course about 60 miles from here. Bought pants, shoes (seriously haven't owned them in a decade), gloves, booked a motel for a few nights (motel and course are non refundable) and then found a Can-Am retailer local, was checking out helmets and decided even if I couldn't afford a 2018 I could sit on one. . . or I thought I could.
    Short, fat and weak legs, I tried an F3 and the forward pegs gave me nothing to stand on. The model with the running boards had a little more to stand on but again was far forward of the saddle. I tried a lot of suggested ways (two very helpful sales people and not one unkind word) to mount the ride and I finally managed to get onto the rear pillion seat and was sliding forward when 1) I got jammed between the back of the bicycle seat and the tank, I might have been able to mitigate that moving my gut around but the 2) I realized they had the pegs in the furthest forward position, I was going to get down into that well and have NO way to lever myself up and off.
    I know this is getting long but I could use some suggestions on getting on older Spyders, I can't imagine the school using brand new models to teach on, I could/should call them but I'm going to go no matter what. The money's spent so the worst that happens is I humiliate myself in front of the other students, fail the class and my dream dies (unless I want a Chinese 250cc Spyder knockoff or retro-also 250cc-old school chopper. Actually, the worst thing would be falling off trying to get on the Spyder and breaking myself (I'm fairly breakable) 60 miles from home.
    ANY help, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. BTW, money is fairly tight, I know it's silly to say that and want to get into riding but I turn 52 this month and don't have many more years before things get to the point where I'm completely homebound.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried sitting ON an RT rather than IN an F3?? The pegs or boards on the RT's are basically directly underneath your behind; the seat is a few inches higher/off the ground than an F3 seat and it's one piece too, so there's waaaayyyy less 'well' to get down into &/or need to climb up out of; & if you add a drivers backrest it can help hold you upright & in place a helluva lot better on the RT than you are held in the F3, where you can be left sitting painfully on the point of your tailbone with your feet splayed out in front of you like you are giving birth...

And if you want more great ideas () there's lots more discussion for those of us with different needs & abilities in the 'Enabled Spyder Ryders' section, so it's well worth checking that out too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Glad you jumped into the 🎪.... I have issues and have found the best of all their models are the ones they discontinued. I Ryde an RS and have to say they are the best for your specifications. Talking used or new 2016 the RS is a bit more leaning forward in the saddle but if you find an ST you will be up right. If they have those where you test try them and good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Keep your dream alive

Hawk

Keep looking, I'm sure you will be able to find a spyder set up that works for you.

Good luck in your search.

P.s I just found a project spyder after wanting one since they came out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you tried sitting ON an RT rather than IN an F3?? The pegs or boards on the RT's are basically directly underneath your behind; the seat is a few inches higher/off the ground than an F3 seat and it's one piece too, so there's waaaayyyy less 'well' to get down into &/or need to climb up out of; & if you add a drivers backrest it can help hold you upright & in place a helluva lot better on the RT than you are held in the F3, where you can be left sitting painfully on the point of your tailbone with your feet splayed out in front of you like you are giving birth...

And if you want more great ideas () there's lots more discussion for those of us with different needs & abilities in the 'Enabled Spyder Ryders' section, so it's well worth checking that out too!
    Other than the F3's I tried the only other Spyders they had in the showroom were full dressers with big tall backrests and trunks/panniers. I might be able to maneuver around lower bags I couldn't conceive of a way to get me over that limited opening without scratching up a ride I could not afford. . . plus I was discouraged, tired and embarrassed by my attempts to get on the F3. I debated putting this here or in the Enabled subforum but decided this was more appropriate here. once I hopefully find something to ride I'll hit up that forum for advice on a walker rack of some type.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad you jumped into the 🎪.... I have issues and have found the best of all their models are the ones they discontinued. I Ryde an RS and have to say they are the best for your specifications. Talking used or new 2016 the RS is a bit more leaning forward in the saddle but if you find an ST you will be up right. If they have those where you test try them and good luck...
    An ST looks to be about my only hope. Now praying the school has at least a couple and if I can ride the beast I really hope there are affordable ones out there. Living on disability doesn't leave much luxury money.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Spyder Garage

While not a Spyder. it'll get you out in the wind. Easy step through and no need to plant your feet at stops.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    While not a Spyder. it'll get you out in the wind. Easy step through and no need to plant your feet at stops.
    Definitely not for me. The narrowness is really scary. I appreciate the suggestion though! I saw a 250cc Piaggio with an outrigger kit in the back (technically now a 5-wheeler?) at a good price at cycletrader.com but I'm not going to think about buying until after my course. My biggest problem with a scooter is my looking like a Shriner on a mini-bike. No real hills here in FL (except the bridges over to beachside) to worry about pulling up.

I saw these online when looking for alternatives:
    http://www.joyridemotors.com/city/tr...0cc-trike.html

They've got a bunch of low price (quality?) 3-wheelers and even a (don't hit me!) fake Spyder.

Spyder Garage

@Hawk1966
    if you have not seen this sub-forum, give a look.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...d-SpyderLovers
    There are many who share your riding style and you'll find a wealth of good info there

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    @Hawk1966
    if you have not seen this sub-forum, give a look.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...d-SpyderLovers
    There are many who share your riding style and you'll find a wealth of good info there
    I considered posting there but I think this issue of getting on the Spyder is more due to my obesity and stubby little legs. I don't think it was a disability issue, granted being disabled made it harder but my limitations being outside of the disability.

If (I hope, though the used STs on cycletrader are out of my price range) I get a Spyder I'll hit up the Enabled forum for suggestions on a walker mount. Heck, with as friendly as everyone's been I might ask no matter what I get.

Edit:
    Anyone on the East coast of Central FL feel like letting me try on their older Spyder(s) for size?
    Last edited by Hawk1966; 04-08-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

The F3 has the U-fit system and can be made to fit the rider. Sounds like you need to ride in #3 or 2 position with some full length floorboards. Short reach handlebars and a ultimate tall boy seat to give you more butt room. Lamonster has the RIP boards and there is another vender can am spyder accessories that has some that are less expensive.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...rds-all-years/
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default 3rd Peg

Glad you’ve given the Spyders a look! Lamont created the missing 3rd peg for the F-3 for just your scenario. My wife and I have them on our F3’s and they make it an order of magnitude easier to get on and off the F3. Absolutely love this mod for the F3!

Check out the 3rd peg on Lamonster’s Garage. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...mbo-lamonster/

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rame-cap-video
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

It can be a hunt sometimes to get the right to fit your needs.

I own RT's (the big sofas on wheels). When I had hip issues. I would mount the left passenger floorboard with my left foot and lift the bad leg (right one) over the front seat. Never had a problem with nicking the saddlebags.

Where their is a will, there is a way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The F3 has the U-fit system and can be made to fit the rider. Sounds like you need to ride in #3 or 2 position with some full length floorboards. Short reach handlebars and a ultimate tall boy seat to give you more butt room. Lamonster has the RIP boards and there is another vender can am spyder accessories that has some that are less expensive.
    http://www.canamspyderaccessories.co...rds-all-years/
    Thanks but I was using my attempt at mounting the F3 as a general 'I'm not sure I can fit any Spyder' worry. An F3 is out of my price range. . . most are but I've seen a few with low miles down in the $7k range. Not a chance in Heaven I'll be buying new. Sucks to be poor.

Spyder Garage

Default Called the course provider ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    Other than the F3's I tried the only other Spyders they had in the showroom were full dressers with big tall backrests and trunks/panniers. I might be able to maneuver around lower bags I couldn't conceive of a way to get me over that limited opening without scratching up a ride I could not afford. . . plus I was discouraged, tired and embarrassed by my attempts to get on the F3. I debated putting this here or in the Enabled subforum but decided this was more appropriate here. once I hopefully find something to ride I'll hit up that forum for advice on a walker rack of some type.

An ST looks to be about my only hope. Now praying the school has at least a couple and if I can ride the beast I really hope there are affordable ones out there. Living on disability doesn't leave much luxury money.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    Not sure if I just missed it but did you call the course provider to see what their stable consists of ? When I took the Spyder course in Barrie here in Ontario , all the trainers were RS or RSS Spyders . There was actually a gentleman taking the course who uses a wheelchair and had his own Spyder outfitted with special controls, the instructors worked with him a bit to ensure he was comfortable with things as we went . About 30% in the course had little or no experience driving anything but a car or truck but all did well . Good luck with your quest .👍

Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboards

My wife has REALLY bad knees and was never able to ride my motorcycle with me because of her inability to get her leg(s) over the seat. Traded it in and bought an RT. Same problem, different bike...BUT, I then bought Seal Floorboards which go all the way from behind the passenger to a foot in front of the drivers peg.

Fast forward to now and she gets on and off without even giving it any thought.

I realize this doesn't help you today, but there are ways of making it work for you and the Spyder.

(floorboards are not shown in my signature picture)

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Not sure if I just missed it but did you call the course provider to see what their stable consists of ? When I took the Spyder course in Barrie here in Ontario , all the trainers were RS or RSS Spyders . There was actually a gentleman taking the course who uses a wheelchair and had his own Spyder outfitted with special controls, the instructors worked with him a bit to ensure he was comfortable with things as we went . About 30% in the course had little or no experience driving anything but a car or truck but all did well . Good luck with your quest .👍
    I haven't. I didn't realize I might have a problem getting on until after I booked a nonrefundable course and nonrefundable three night stay in downtown Kissimmee. Since I can't get that money back it doesn't matter what model(s) they have I'm going to show up for the class. Thanks for the well wishes!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Goodbye, The Dream has Died

Well, bought the long sleeve shirts, gloves, had tailoring done (incorrectly and expensively) on two pair of expensive pants, drove halfway across Florida to a somewhat reasonably priced ($260/3 nights) motel near Orlando, plopped down the money for the Can-Am course aaaaand couldn't get on either the F3 (same problem as before) or the I think it was the RT. Almost was able to get on that but the instructors stopped me as I barely got a knee to the seat and asked if I thought I could get off after running the course (BTW, scored 100% on the written test) and we all agreed it would be a major difficulty if not impossible. I'm just too big and broken to get on the 2018 Spyders. Did get to meet a couple BRP representatives, woo.

So, thank you for the help and suggestions as well as the warmth and friendliness everyone offered to me. Take care of yourselves and each other. Goodbye.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    Well, bought the long sleeve shirts, gloves, had tailoring done (incorrectly and expensively) on two pair of expensive pants, drove halfway across Florida to a somewhat reasonably priced ($260/3 nights) motel near Orlando, plopped down the money for the Can-Am course aaaaand couldn't get on either the F3 (same problem as before) or the I think it was the RT. Almost was able to get on that but the instructors stopped me as I barely got a knee to the seat and asked if I thought I could get off after running the course (BTW, scored 100% on the written test) and we all agreed it would be a major difficulty if not impossible. I'm just too big and broken to get on the 2018 Spyders. Did get to meet a couple BRP representatives, woo.

So, thank you for the help and suggestions as well as the warmth and friendliness everyone offered to me. Take care of yourselves and each other. Goodbye.
    Sorry to hear that your physical limitations prevent you from enjoying a Spyder. Thanks for the update.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't sit comfortably on any spider with pegs. The F3 was the hardest for me. I started out with a 2009 RS SE5, I loved the Spyder "concept" but just didn't sit right and had trouble getting on and off. I have two bad knees and some real balance issues. I designed the Seal Floorboards to fit my issues. I stand on the floorboards when getting on and off. Yes, they will hold you and feel like you're stand on the floor...they're that solid. Don't give up, check out my website and story: sealfloorboards.com If you want it, you can do it.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I couldn't sit comfortably on any spider with pegs. The F3 was the hardest for me. I started out with a 2009 RS SE5, I loved the Spyder "concept" but just didn't sit right and had trouble getting on and off. I have two bad knees and some real balance issues. I designed the Seal Floorboards to fit my issues. I stand on the floorboards when getting on and off. Yes, they will hold you and feel like you're stand on the floor...they're that solid. Don't give up, check out my website and story: sealfloorboards.com If you want it, you can do it.
    I truly appreciate the kind words. But it would be such a logistical nightmare. I live 60 miles from the closest testing facility. You can't ride without an endorsement, no learner's permit are issued. You can use your own trike (and only three wheelers) to take the class. I'm confident I could pass the riding segment but. . . I can't sink the money into a Spyder until I know I can get on and off safely and be comfortable. Then I'd have to get it to Kissimmee and back because I'd still have to get to the tax office and get the endorsement before I could put it on the road myself. I just don't see it happening.