Thread: Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirrors

Just bought the magic mirrors shipped and on there way to the dealer for installation and 19K service done

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    Just bought the magic mirrors shipped and on there way to the dealer for installation and 19K service done
    I'm just curious. Since the purpose of the magic mirrors is to make it easier to work on the bike, why are you having the dealer install them?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm just curious. Since the purpose of the magic mirrors is to make it easier to work on the bike, why are you having the dealer install them?
    Had to replace the clips 2 times so figure this is a better way to go

Spyder Garage

Bright spot is no more clips to snap. The dealer should charge you for about 20 min total. LaMonster put mine on in 10 min. You will love them.
    When all done add a tether. It's on the web site. Do it yourself. You will learn how easy they now are to remove and reinstall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Bright spot is no more clips to snap. The dealer should charge you for about 20 min total. LaMonster put mine on in 10 min. You will love them.
    When all done add a tether. It's on the web site. Do it yourself. You will learn how easy they now are to remove and reinstall.
    I am going to look on the site for the teather thx

Spyder Garage

I'm part of the crowd that went back to using the original upper hook and magnets on the lower two positions for security. Even though the magnets have never let me down, I feel that a very strong bump "could" let them fall, and the tethers included in my set are very thin. Also, the tethers need to be attached under the head of one of the tupperware screws. This puts uneven pressure on the plastic, which could lead to cracking. This is an excellent product, and really, the two magnets on each side plus the upper hook is just as secure as three magnets.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    I am going to look on the site for the teather thx
    Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911} has posted about making tethers... look his thread up!
    and on a wise addition to your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm one of the ones who's put over 8,000 miles on tether free and never had a mirror come loose. Riding and living up here in MN where we get monster potholes and poorly patched roads that are quite bumpy and ... well you get it, the full 6 magnet sets have been tested without tethers and have worked fine.
    But, I suppose an asteroid COULD come down and strike any of us....
    They are a great addition compared to the originals. Good choice.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But I've always been of the opinion that it's better to have them: and not need them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I'm one of the ones who's put over 8,000 miles on tether free and never had a mirror come loose. Riding and living up here in MN where we get monster potholes and poorly patched roads that are quite bumpy and ... well you get it, the full 6 magnet sets have been tested without tethers and have worked fine.
    But, I suppose an asteroid COULD come down and strike any of us....
    They are a great addition compared to the originals. Good choice.

I agree 100% that there is no need to put a tether as I have put over 10,000 miles without even a little movement in either mirror. Once they are mounted they aren't gonna fall off. Those magnets are the strongest I've ever experienced. Just ask my finger, cause they gave me a blood blister when two magnet decided to come together. Had a heck of a time trying to separate them.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Best mirror or side cover tethers ever. Been using them for years, around a buck or less each and come in many lengths. Just look in your favorite fishing accessory area.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I agree 100% that there is no need to put a tether as I have put over 10,000 miles without even a little movement in either mirror. Once they are mounted they aren't gonna fall off. Those magnets are the strongest I've ever experienced. Just ask my finger, cause they gave me a blood blister when two magnet decided to come together. Had a heck of a time trying to separate them.
    I'm with DGoebel & Ex-Rocket on this one, now having close on 60,000km all up on our 'usually somewhat rougher than your US roads' across a few Spyders all with the original Magic Mirror mounts fitted, and having scored along the way the odd bird-strike on a mirror, ham-fisted technicians, and literally thousands of demonstrations of 'one-handed remove & refit' displays while both parked & sometimes moving all without a tether or even the slightest glimmer of needing one!! And despite being the person who originally raised the possibility of needing tethers waaaay back in the early design stages because of my (bad) experiences with the OE mounts giving up & mirrors parting company with my Spyder, I was very quickly relieved on that score & am now even more convinced that if you have Magic Mirror Mounts then you really don't need tethers!!

So I reckon that all you people considering them should ask yourself 2 questions....

1). Did you feel the need to rush out & fit tethers when you were running the OE Mirror Clips?? Cos if you DIDN'T do that then, when their failure rate & difficulty of removing without breaking was what originally generated the call for something better in the way of mounts, then whyinthehell do you feel the need now???

2). Do you wear pants that fit properly AND yet wear a belt AND then wear braces too?? Cos if you don't do all three of those, then whyinthehell would you feel the need to change the known poorly performing OE mounts for something that works soooo much better & won't fall off with JUST ONE MAGNET but that actually has THREE magnets hanging on better (or two if that's the way you ryde) & ain't never gonna let go regardless??!

You surely got me stumped! But if you feel the need to fit something that works better AND that holds better times three AND then you feel you need to go & fit extra safety tethers too, don't let me stand in your way.... but I do seriously wonder about that need for belts AND braces thing?!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tethers

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Best mirror or side cover tethers ever. Been using them for years, around a buck or less each and come in many lengths. Just look in your favorite fishing accessory area.

I think mine are better ...... But the ones above had better be very short, or the extra wire will need to be stuffed into a small area ..... and hopefully it won't interfere with the magnets ( a high likelihood imho ) ..... Mike