Spyder Garage

Default 2010 getting it on the road

Ok.. background. Purchased from insurance
    Looks like someone launched it. A lot of what I feel I can fix but.

Handlebars are bent on right side.
    Advice: take apart and straighten or replace with aftermarket, if so is this something an average backyard wrench turned can do.

Also. I'm about 5 something tall and about that wide. 300+ retired powerlifter. I know the stock shocks will work. But I'd like to replace the shocks while I have it torn apart. 8000 original miles. Wife is only an addition 100 but thats close to stock shock limit. Any suggestion for shocks.

Lots of 2 wheel experience. But this is my first spyder, although I have been a spyder lover since the first day I saw one.

Thanks phil
    Bakersfield ca.
    Theramu
    Aponi
    Cannariginals

Spyder Garage

Default Just a Welcome!

Welcome to Spyderlovers, there's a thread on here where a guy in Hawaii is doing a frame off restoration of his 08 that might give you some ideas.
    You're a brave soul to resurrect an insurance write off.
    I suspect you'll find some folks that upgraded to the Tri Axis handlebars and have their old originals in like new condition.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYER

Sounds like a big project. Good Luck and Welcome to Spyder Forum.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to both the spyder world and this most informative site... fun project if the price was right. On the bars, as long as none of the bends have a crease you can striaghten them out . Now depending on the year and model there may be bar options out there. As for the shock....there are good ones out there but all a pricy. As this is a big project I would say build it test it and then decide if you need to change it and what to go to... good luck and take us along with some pictures of the progress....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good luck with your restoration. You may have a real job on your hands.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm the guy from Hawaii doing the restoration. Feel free to contact me if you need any tips on how to put something together. I basically took apart the entire spyder and am in the process of putting it back together. Just got her running again this past sunday. Post some pics of your spyder and i'm sure we can make a starter list of what needs to be looked at, replaced, or fixed.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
    I'm the guy from Hawaii doing the restoration. Feel free to contact me if you need any tips on how to put something together. I basically took apart the entire spyder and am in the process of putting it back together. Just got her running again this past sunday. Post some pics of your spyder and i'm sure we can make a starter list of what needs to be looked at, replaced, or fixed.
    I will asap

Appreciate any help

Phil