Spyder Garage

Default Oh no.. Heated grips again!!

Can standard off the shelf heated grips be fitted? Or do we have to stick to overpriced poorly made tat from Can Am?

Got my F3 completely nekkid at the moment I am getting the panels wrapped and I have a set of HG grips on the shelf, just want to check before I start cutting stuff up..

Lots of wasted space in here.. could get horny with it, maybe a stebel?

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Just google motorcycle heated grips and you will find quite a few out there from $50 on up some with great reviews... you don't even have to take that many panels off to install them... show us the wrap when your done....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Ya, a nice big 150db train air horn would fit in there nicely.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEATED GRIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Just google motorcycle heated grips and you will find quite a few out there from $50 on up some with great reviews... you don't even have to take that many panels off to install them... show us the wrap when your done....
    ..... checkout what you might want at DENNISKIRK.COM ....... I suggest looking in their Snow-mobile catalog .....lot's of possibilities with multiple heat settings ............and since they are designed for below ZERO temps they will be the warmest you could find .......good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies guys, BUT the Can Am grips apparently reply the throttle-by-wire side completely.

I really need to know If I can cut the grip off that side and fit with OTS heated grips, anyone know anyone that's done it?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GRIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, BUT the Can Am grips apparently reply the throttle-by-wire side completely.

I really need to know If I can cut the grip off that side and fit with OTS heated grips, anyone know anyone that's done it?
    Sorry but I can't figure out " apparently reply " ? ? ? ......... Almost all parts on the Spyder are removable...... and the Grips ....the rubber part comes off separately !!!!! .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Can standard off the shelf heated grips be fitted? Or do we have to stick to overpriced poorly made tat from Can Am?

Got my F3 completely nekkid at the moment I am getting the panels wrapped and I have a set of HG grips on the shelf, just want to check before I start cutting stuff up..

Lots of wasted space in here.. could get horny with it, maybe a stebel?

Won't it be nice to find a way to install a latch door to have access to all that space ???
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Won't it be nice to find a way to install a latch door to have access to all that space ???
    Looks to me like an oversized frunk could be made to make use of some of that space. Probably needs to be 2 piece - cut the lower tub off of the existing top ring and insert a new/larger tub through the front, then screw/seal together. There are multiple options for materials to make the new tub out of - perhaps even insulated with a 12v Thermoelectric Peltier Cooler device.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by dondje; 04-09-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gripsphone

The grip is bonded to the throttle tube. You can’t cut the grip from the tube. The BRP kit replaces the trotttle tube and has the heat element bonded into the grip. Very expensive.

My solution is I used snowmobile throttle wraps over the grips on my 2013 ST. Works fine in the cold in Pittsburgh. Bought the throttle wraps on EBay. Easy to install and wire. Have a 2 position heat control switch.
    Good Luck
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Advise a PWM motor control for heat adjustment. This is the same Pulse Width Modulator used by WarmnSafe/ Gerbing / et al >CLICK ME<

Put some Grip Puppies >CLICK ME< with some heating coils >CLICK ME< >CLICK ME< under them. The puppies will help with heat distribution and make it easy to install the coils under them on top of current grips. I linked to eBay, but there are other sources out there. You could make your own heaters for under $30 the Puppies Being the most expensive part.

I've used this method on my '01 Kawasaki Quad successfully. Heated clothing?? >CLICK ME<

quadinwoods.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for the late reply I am languishing in hospital just now bloody sepsis

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I wouldn't block the radiator air flow. As to grip heat, you should be able to install any kit you want.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Looks to me like an oversized frunk could be made to make use of some of that space. Probably.......
    I'm with Highwayman on this one!! I wouldn't be blocking or reducing the air flow to the radiators thru that gap around the F3 frunk at all!! It's not as if BRP haven't already experienced the potential issues caused by restricting airflow to the radiators & around the engines on any of these Spyders; after all, there WAS a fairly expensive to them mandatory recall on the 2013 RT's mainly to improve the airflow & enhance the management of hot air under the tupperware!! And the newer RT's have both bigger radiators AND bigger/wider tupperware & ducting to allow more air flow than the earlier versions, while the F3's get that big 'mouth' of a tractor grille up front & the smaller frunk bucket largely to let enough air get thru to those bigger radiators..... so it might not be a great idea to reduce that extra airflow too much!!

Heated grips tho, I can't help much there; but has anyone ever tried cooling them?? Ambient temps of 38 degrees Celsius makes for 'bloody hot' out in the sun, so cooled grips & seats would really be popular down my way!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm with Highwayman on this one!! I wouldn't be blocking or reducing the air flow to the radiators thru that gap around the F3 frunk at all!! It's not as if BRP haven't already experienced the potential issues caused by restricting airflow to the radiators & around the engines on any of these Spyders; after all, there WAS a fairly expensive to them mandatory recall on the 2013 RT's mainly to improve the airflow & enhance the management of hot air under the tupperware!! And the newer RT's have both bigger radiators AND bigger/wider tupperware & ducting to allow more air flow than the earlier versions, while the F3's get that big 'mouth' of a tractor grille up front & the smaller frunk bucket largely to let enough air get thru to those bigger radiators..... so it might not be a great idea to reduce that extra airflow too much!!

Heated grips tho, I can't help much there; but has anyone ever tried cooling them?? Ambient temps of 38 degrees Celsius makes for 'bloody hot' out in the sun, so cooled grips & seats would really be popular down my way!!
    First off, I apologize for contributing to going off topicin this thread.

Peter…

I understand you reservations with my thought. I am also a newbie here and have never seen more than the pictures in this thread to draw my conclusions.I have no idea what is or isn’t behind the frunk That said, I have spent sometime as a journeyman in the HVAC industry, giving me some experience with airflow.

My guess is that the worst case scenario for cooling would be something like; exiting the freeway after a spirited ride on a 120degafternoon, just to be sitting at the off ramp stop light over egg frying pavement. Light turns and then pulling out into stop & go traffic. No real air flow over engine and non-fan affected areas of the radiators. Would have to fill that compartment pretty full of frunk in order to reduce air flow to the radiatorfans and engine in this scenario.

What I see in the pics, is that there looks to be minimal direction of air, there is probably turbulence in the front compartment during speed. May even be causing diminished air flow over radiators and perhaps increased drag and reduced mpg. I believe that I see where properly designed air ducting would actually improve air flow, reduce turbulence, and probably allow for a larger frunk. That said, I am too worried about doing something that affects the warranty,than to do something like that on a new ride.

Still, some cardboard, duct tape, and temp and air flow sensors linked to an app, and spare time, would tell the story.

Regards,

Don
    Last edited by dondje; 04-10-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    2017 F3T , Triple Black