Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for a new cage

My wife is in the market for a new SUV. Does anyone know if there is a Nissan dealership online that works deals similar to Imotorsports?
    I ask this as we have another 2018 SUV that we would like to trade (title in hand). I will be checking the local dealerships, but I am doubtful that I will get my best deal here, as the dealerships here are greedy S.O.B.'s.
    If I could find a fair one to treat me like the purchase of my spyder was from Imotorsports, I would deal today.
    Other possible dealerships would include Acura and Toyota.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help.
    Thanks,

Keith
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    My wife is in the market for a new SUV. Does anyone know if there is a Nissan dealership online that works deals similar to Imotorsports? I ask this as we have another 2018 SUV that we would like to trade (title in hand). I will be checking the local dealerships, but I am doubtful that I will get my best deal here, as the dealerships here are greedy S.O.B.'s.
    If I could find a fair one to treat me like the purchase of my spyder was from Imotorsports, I would deal today. Other possible dealerships would include Acura and Toyota. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks, Keith
    Are you a member of Costco? I'd go that route. Trade-in complicates things. I don't know what you mean by dealers in your area being 'greedy'; try adjusting your attitude and you may find them more amenable to helping you out. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Your best bet, financially, would be to sell the current SUV outright. You can find values on a number of web sites including NADA, Edmunds, Truecar and others. A couple of national resellers of used vehicles (Carmax is probably the best known) may buy yours outright but I cannot say you will get a better deal with them.

If your current SUV is very low mileage and in showroom condition you might get a better trade-in but it will never be as good as selling to a private party. If you go this route establish with the dealer the trade-in value of your vehicle and then bargain with them on the cost of the replacement. If you try to combine these two negotiations your chances of getting screwed are high.

Most new car dealers these days are either chains or they are owned by national companies. They have every resource, including financing, to sell their best deal. Chances are, if you threaten to walk across the street from Nissan to Toyota the parent company will own both dealerships so they really don't care whether you walk or not. Have any financing already set up with your bank.

If you negotiate with any dealer during the last few days of the month (or a quarter) but not on busy days like Saturday they will usually be in a better position to offer a better deal since they may need to make quotas from the manufacturer or have inventory taxes coming up. Asking for an Internet salesman may also get a better offer (not guaranteed) and buying from lot inventory almost always makes sense from a financial point of view.

Whatever you do, do NOT expose your hand ("I REALLY LIKE THIS CAR") or otherwise indicate that you have fallen in love with a particular car prior to financial negotiation. Salesmen will milk your emotions without mercy. Do not be in a hurry to close the deal. Recognize you may have to deal for hours or sometimes days to get the deal you want. Don't allow the dealership to pad the vehicle with all sorts of BS extras like glass VIN etching, undercoat, paint and fabric protection etc. And the most important rule of all:

BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY IF THE DEAL ISN'T IN YOUR BEST INTEREST

If they want your business bad enough they will call you back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Your best bet, financially, would be to sell the current SUV outright. You can find values on a number of web sites including NADA, Edmunds, Truecar and others. A couple of national resellers of used vehicles (Carmax is probably the best known) may buy yours outright but I cannot say you will get a better deal with them.

If your current SUV is very low mileage and in showroom condition you might get a better trade-in but it will never be as good as selling to a private party. If you go this route establish with the dealer the trade-in value of your vehicle and then bargain with them on the cost of the replacement. If you try to combine these two negotiations your chances of getting screwed are high.

Most new car dealers these days are either chains or they are owned by national companies. They have every resource, including financing, to sell their best deal. Chances are, if you threaten to walk across the street from Nissan to Toyota the parent company will own both dealerships so they really don't care whether you walk or not. Have any financing already set up with your bank.

If you negotiate with any dealer during the last few days of the month (or a quarter) but not on busy days like Saturday they will usually be in a better position to offer a better deal since they may need to make quotas from the manufacturer or have inventory taxes coming up. Asking for an Internet salesman may also get a better offer (not guaranteed) and buying from lot inventory almost always makes sense from a financial point of view.

Whatever you do, do NOT expose your hand ("I REALLY LIKE THIS CAR") or otherwise indicate that you have fallen in love with a particular car prior to financial negotiation. Salesmen will milk your emotions without mercy. Do not be in a hurry to close the deal. Recognize you may have to deal for hours or sometimes days to get the deal you want. Don't allow the dealership to pad the vehicle with all sorts of BS extras like glass VIN etching, undercoat, paint and fabric protection etc. And the most important rule of all:

BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY IF THE DEAL ISN'T IN YOUR BEST INTEREST

If they want your business bad enough they will call you back.
    Thanks, all of the above is great information. I have used those tactics on every purchase that I have ever made. Yes, the current vehicle only has 7k miles and is in perfect condition.
    My reason for saying that most of the local dealers are not worth dealing with is because I have purchased many vehicles and most do not work out. The nissan dealerships here do not negotiate well. I did purchase my new 02 maxima from local, but it took some doing. My latest new nissan was an 09 maxima. Took a plane ride to Florida and saved over $6k. I was just impressed with the way Imotorsports were able to give a fair price on the bike, and a fair trade in. No negotiations necessary. It would be a lot easier if I was shopping for me, but buying for the wife is a different story.
    Thanks for the info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife is in the market for a new SUV. Does anyone know if there is a Nissan dealership online that works deals similar to Imotorsports?
    I ask this as we have another 2018 SUV that we would like to trade (title in hand). I will be checking the local dealerships, but I am doubtful that I will get my best deal here, as the dealerships here are greedy S.O.B.'s.
    If I could find a fair one to treat me like the purchase of my spyder was from Imotorsports, I would deal today.
    Thanks,

Keith
    What 2018 rig are wanting to dump already?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you will take a serious hit on the 2018 you are trading
    even without knowing what vehicle, I'd guess you're looking at better than a 7 thousand hit
    Rincon's idea to sell it outright is worth considering

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It would be a lot easier if I was shopping for me, but buying for the wife is a different story.
    Thanks for the info.
    AH.....shopping for the wifey! Then you can use the "Third Baseman" technique. Also known as good cop, bad cop. One of you wants the bike the other is holding out for a better deal. It will drive the sales guys crazy. Especially if the wife is the bad cop.

Even if you don't end up taking their deal you will walk away laughing.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a new Nissan Frontier 2017.... got rid of it in short order
    nice truck but the best I could get was 10 MPH. my 1 ton duely Ford with a 460V8 gets 11 mph
    by by Nissan hello Chevrolet.

Thanks,

Keith

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    What 2018 rig are wanting to dump already?
    2018 Chevy Equinox. It is a long story, but it was originally purchased for my oldest daughter who needed a vehicle after her divorce. Unfortunately things didn't work out and now the wife ends up with a car that she doesn't want, and a car that the daughter cannot afford. So now we are looking to sell or trade and get the wife the car that she really wants.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do u normally keep your cars for a long time? The reason I ask is Nissan SUV's have a CTV transmission. IMHO stay away from them. Many issue, and they are not serviceable or fixable. If something goes wrong with it, your only option is a new transmission.

A few other manufacturers stopped using them because of the issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I had a new Nissan Frontier 2017.... got rid of it in short order
    nice truck but the best I could get was 10 MPH. my 1 ton duely Ford with a 460V8 gets 11 mph
    by by Nissan hello Chevrolet.
    You might want to check the reliability results for GM products generally and Chevys specifically.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2018 Chevy Equinox. It is a long story, but it was originally purchased for my oldest daughter who needed a vehicle after her divorce. Unfortunately things didn't work out and now the wife ends up with a car that she doesn't want, and a car that the daughter cannot afford. So now we are looking to sell or trade and get the wife the car that she really wants.
    What does she want?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And the SECOND most important rule of all:

NEVER BUY A NEW RIDE UNLESS YOU INTEND TO KEEP IT FOREVER.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, I don't think this is about greedy dealers any more. I think this is about trying to get out from under a purchase that was done with the best of intentions but perhaps not the wisest financially speaking.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Okay, I don't think this is about greedy dealers any more. I think this is about trying to get out from under a purchase that was done with the best of intentions but perhaps not the wisest financially speaking.
    Yes, and no. The purchase, that was made by my wife was not a great decision (although she got a heck of a deal). But it is pretty well known around here that the local dealers are not very flexible when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. I have purchased new from local, but the last time was back in 2002. My intention is to find the best deal that I can (internet or not), and see if the local dealers will match, or come close. If they do, fine. If they do not, then it is easy, I will get a plane ticket, fly down to wherever, and drive the new car back home. I have done that before and would not hesitate doing it again. I was only asking here to see if there was a car dealer that worked sort of like Imotorsports. No harm ment, and not meaning any disrespect to locals. If they can get a sale at their prices, more power to them. But while I have the funds to purchase what I want, I have no desire to overpay for anything. For me, I tend to purchase used when possible, as I would rather someone else take the depreciation. In fact, my main 2 rides (besides the bikes) are a 2002 truck and a 2006 car, and I am absolutely happy with both. I actually have no desire to purchase a new car or truck. But if the wife is set on buying new, and since she aquired some unforeseen funds, if she wants new, she will get new. But again, I still will not pay more than necessary.
    Last edited by blacklightning; 04-02-2018 at 08:08 AM.