Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wiring harness question

Hello to all & thanks again for your help in the past,

I have a trailer question. I just ordered the Show Chrome trailer hitch and wiring harness. According to what I have read, this harness terminates with 5 bare wires. I guess they expect you to wire on whatever plug you want. I have read that the Can Am OEM trailer uses a 4 wire system. I'm wondering why Show chrome would use a 5 wire system when the the OEM trailer uses 4 wires?
    The trailer I have has a flat 4 wire. I need to put a round 5 pin plug on both the trailer and Spyder(that's just what my friends have and I want to be able to pull their trailers as well). I am assuming 1 wire for running lights, 1 for brakes, 1 for turn signals, and a ground. That makes 4 wires.? Is the 5th wire suppose to be hazards? Anyway, back to my original question as to why 5 wires when BRP uses a 4 wire system?? Thanks-----Dan

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In short, the BRP trailer is inconsistent with the BRP Spyder! The Spyder taillight system is 5 wire: ground, left turn, right turn, brake, and tail. To do what you want is not a big deal. You need to buy a 5 to 4 wire converter and mount it on the trailer. Install a 5 wire socket on the bike and make a pigtail for the trailer with a 5 wire plug. Take the output of the convertor and connect a 4 wire flat plug and connect it to the existing 4 wire trailer plug. A 5 wire system cannot be directly connected to a 4 wire system because of the difference in turn and brake lights. With the 4 wire system the same bulb is used for brake and turn. On 5 wire you have separate turn signal wires and one brake light wire.

The early BRP trailers were 5 wire, as are most other motorcycle trailers. I think they went to 4 wire because that is what the long standing American usual configuration has been. Me, I prefer the 5 wire system with separate amber rear turn signals.

5 to 4 wire converters are readily available at auto supply and trailer supply stores.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-31-2018 at 09:13 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Rewire trailer?

Thanks to idahomtnspyder !

That helps a lot! One more question. Can I just rewire the trailer to a 5 wire system and eliminate the converter all together?
    I figure that would be one less thing to break or malfunction on a long trip. Thanks again

Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ward View Post

That helps a lot! One more question. Can I just rewire the trailer to a 5 wire system and eliminate the converter all together?
    I figure that would be one less thing to break or malfunction on a long trip. Thanks again

Dan
    Sure you can. Go buy a pair of amber lights to act as turn signals. Mount them to the rear of the trailer. Run the extra wires to them. Install the 5 wire round plug. There you are done!

Problem is it will cost you more. Be more work and not any simpler. I would recommend leaving the trailer alone. Build an adapter. 5 round Spyder end and 4 flat trailer end. With a 5 to 4 adapter inbetween. That way your plug matches your friends trailer. Your trailer will hook to your friends bike. Unplug the adapter and your trailer plug into a car or pickup.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I just did my spider this weekend and took about 2 hours to do. The instructions are great if you go step by step. My trailer is a 5 wire and picked up the round di-cast plugs at Auto Zone. They also had the 5 to 4 converters.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ward View Post

Dan
    Billybovine gave a good answer. I would add that if your taillight assemblies can be easily replaced by some with the built-in amber turn lights you ought to consider that. It mostly boils down to what you like the best and how it all fits into your budget.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)