Spyder Garage

Default Check Transmission

I have 3 questions that are related.

2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5

1. I've had replies in the past that say that SE5 first came out in 2009. Any additional feedback to verify?
    2. I found many references to a missing ground causing a "CHECK TRANSMISSION" Message.
    Can anybody explain? Selinoid(sp) ground? With Pics?
    3. If I purchase a paddle shifter, is there any install instructions? How about a list/pictures of the paddle shifter
    parts.

Thanks TNTHERAPY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntherapy View Post

1. I've had replies in the past that say that SE5 first came out in 2009. Any additional feedback to verify?
    2. I found many references to a missing ground causing a "CHECK TRANSMISSION" Message.
    3. If I purchase a paddle shifter, is there any install instructions? How about a list/pictures of the paddle shifter
    parts.

Thanks TNTHERAPY
    I just ordered one as well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    you may find it cheaper elsewhere, but if you already have prime the free shipping made this my best option.

I just took a chance and hope it fixes my problem if not I will send it back.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE - TRANS

parts.

Thanks TNTHERAPY
    I purchased my first Spyder in 09 .....but it was an 08 model, the shop I bought it at had Two 08 models, a manual and an SE ..... I bought the manual because it was I wasn't sure of the newfangled semi-auto thing ...... Then my other two Spyder later had the SE ..... I love it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi tn,

Re: 2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5

^^^^^ This is my Spyder.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

parts.

Thanks TNTHERAPY

Ques #1: I was the recipient of the first GS SM5 sold in AK. Mine arrived in June 2008. There was talk of the SE5 but they did not arrive here until 2009. I purchased a red one for the Spouse in early 2009. It was then changed to a RS SE5 designation for 2009 and above models.

Ques #3: I do not think you can make a SM an SE by adding a paddle shifter. Don't recall seeing this before.

I do note: cruise control on the RT's and F3's can be added.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-29-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

It may be they are referring to the GS being re-labled an RS in 09. As for the ground wire causing check transmission, have not run across that one. Sadly the replacement of the paddle shifter is the whole command unit there for simply unplug and re-plug.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The paddle shifter install isn't a very difficult project. Don't even need to be overly handy with tools.

I would suggest however, that you would connect a string to the old wiring assembly before removing. Then use the string to pull the new wiring assembly through the frame tube.

Actually the job is a piece of cake.

Spyder Garage

I have the same 'Check Transmission' issue with my 2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5. The dealer says the diagnostics indicate that the paddle shifter needs to be replaced. I would like to do it myself, as the dealer wants $500 for the replacement part and labor. Before I purchase the replacement paddle shifter, I wanted to make sure I could find, and unplug the wiring connector for the existing shifter.

I can see where the wire goes into the frame tubing area under the handlebars, but i"m not able to pull the wire up to expose the connector. I figured that I would be able to get to the wire connector plug from underneath, so I took off the 2 fiberglass side covers and top cover to get to the area where the wire goes into the frame tubing. I still cannot see the connector plug anywhere. In fact, I don't see the wire at all from below. I even wiggled the wire from the top side, just to identify where it was, and I didn't see any wire moving below.

Does anyone have any advice on how to access the wiring connector plug at the end of my existing paddle shifter? Do I have to remove anything else (other than the side & top covers) to expose the plug? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. --joeyf13

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joeyf13 View Post
    I have the same 'Check Transmission' issue with my 2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5. The dealer says the diagnostics indicate that the paddle shifter needs to be replaced. I would like to do it myself, as the dealer wants $500 for the replacement part and labor. Before I purchase the replacement paddle shifter, I wanted to make sure I could find, and unplug the wiring connector for the existing shifter.

I can see where the wire goes into the frame tubing area under the handlebars, but i"m not able to pull the wire up to expose the connector. I figured that I would be able to get to the wire connector plug from underneath, so I took off the 2 fiberglass side covers and top cover to get to the area where the wire goes into the frame tubing. I still cannot see the connector plug anywhere. In fact, I don't see the wire at all from below. I even wiggled the wire from the top side, just to identify where it was, and I didn't see any wire moving below.

Does anyone have any advice on how to access the wiring connector plug at the end of my existing paddle shifter? Do I have to remove anything else (other than the side & top covers) to expose the plug? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. --joeyf13

I did almost the same thing. Look here you will fined some pictures. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93135- Paddle-shifter-need-help!&highlight=shifter+switch . The wires run through the frame and are snug. I was going to tie a string to the plug and pull the old one out and use the string to pull new one back through. I figured this was not a good idea on my bike as the wire was just to snug, I didn't want to get anything stuck where I could not get to it. I just cut off the old plug pulled the wires out with ease. I then just ran the new wires without going through the frame. There is lots of space to run wires and not much to hang up on, just zip tie it up to other wires and such. Make sure to leave some slack at bars to make full turns and keep wire clear of moving parts and all will be good .

The plug can be a bit of a pain to get to. You will be able to see it, you just can't get a hand on it. You can get a finger or two on it, but I had to use some small screwdrivers and such to unlatch and to push and pull the plug. I took off side panel to see like you. the only other thing to remove is the cover over the coolant fill under the frunk lid. just take your time with the plug it will go. cost me $143 on amazon for the part and some time.
    Last edited by Huked; 04-01-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huked View Post
    I did almost the same thing. Look here you will fined some pictures. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?93135- Paddle-shifter-need-help!&highlight=shifter+switch . The wires run through the frame and are snug. I was going to tie a string to the plug and pull the old one out and use the string to pull new one back through. I figured this was not a good idea on my bike as the wire was just to snug, I didn't want to get anything stuck where I could not get to it. I just cut off the old plug pulled the wires out with ease. I then just ran the new wires without going through the frame. There is lots of space to run wires and not much to hang up on, just zip tie it up to other wires and such. Make sure to leave some slack at bars to make full turns and keep wire clear of moving parts and all will be good .

The plug can be a bit of a pain to get to. You will be able to see it, you just can't get a hand on it. You can get a finger or two on it, but I had to use some small screwdrivers and such to unlatch and to push and pull the plug. I took off side panel to see like you. the only other thing to remove is the cover over the coolant fill under the frunk lid. just take your time with the plug it will go. cost me $143 on amazon for the part and some time.
    Thank you so much Huked! Your reply was the exact information that i was looking for to move forward on replacing my paddle shifter. I went to bed discouraged last night, resigned to the fact that I would be forking over $500 to the dealer to replace my shifter. After reading your reply this morning, I was able to find the wiring connector plug, and I now feel confident enough to order my replacement shifter, and attempt to install it myself next weekend.

One of the things that was confusing me last night, is the picture of the part on Amazon made it look like the wire was fairly short (maybe 12 inches or so). That's why I thought the plug must be located close to where the wire went into the frame area under the handlebars. I had no idea that the wire was actually long enough to make it all the way to the front of the spyder, near the coolant reservoir. The pictures and write-up that you referred me to pointed me in the right area to find it.

I also appreciate the advice you gave me about using the screwdrivers to assist in the tight fit of the plug removal and reinstall, and the tip on running the wire outside of the frame tubing, securing it out of the way with zip ties on some of the other wiring.

Next weekend I will attempt to get the paddle shifter changed out, and hopefully resolve my 'check transmission' and shifting issues. I will keep you posted, and maybe even post some pictures of the replacement project.

Thanks again Huked for all of of your help. It was just what I needed, and I greatly appreciate it. --joeyf13

Spyder Garage

It's nice to see members helping each other & the asker replying to the info provider.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc