Spyder Garage

Default Willow Run B-24s

The long hanger at Willow Run, Michigan has a 90 degree turn in it so Henry Ford would not have to pay taxes in the next county. That short end is being saved and restored today as a museum. The big hanger doors are still operational after all these years.

This is one of the best and most informative clips about a great American accomplishment, thanks to the Ford Motor Company during WWII.

A Ford Airplane! AMAZING!

Production began here 6 months BEFORE Pearl Harbor! Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had with cars, so he built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. This was the world's largest building under one roof at the time. This film will absolutely blow you away -- one B-24 every 55 minutes! -- and Ford had its own pilots to test them. And no recalls!

ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF THIS KIND OF THING.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iKlt6rNciTo?rel=0

To get this video to play here, I had to Copy and Paste the entire link into the site information box opening another page.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Besides having brave servicemen and women, the US possessed the greatest manufacturing capability in the world and still does. Soldiers can't fight without weapons, pilots can't fly without planes, and sailors can't sail without ships. That's the original Team USA.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manufacturing might: creates Military might!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

great video..thanks for the reminder of what we accomplished when challenged...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The actor who plays Admiral Yamamoto said this at the end of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

It is still debated to this day whether Yamamoto actually said that or not, but it sure turned out to very true.

Another accurate quote was what Winston Churchill supposedly said to his Cabinet when he received word of the Pearl Harbor attack.

"Gentlemen, we have just won the war."

Seems the whole world knew what we were capable of even if we didn't.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default In addition to Willow Run B-24s we have Inland Manufacturing...

...a division of General Motors which was instrumental in the war effort.

http://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com...ors/inland.htm

...and the Inland company today:

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html

I didn't realize how many of our companies were involved with the war production of arms, aircraft and naval materials. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about...
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Hi BigGuy66,

Re: I'm sure there are more that I don't know about...

I worked for the federal gov't. in contract management for 30 yrs. In almost every contract there is a very small clause that talks about national emergency.

This clause allows the federal gov't. to direct any contractor to produce anything that the gov't. dictates; however, only in a national emergency.

Back when I first started jumping, my reserve parachute had been built by a company called Fashion Frocks.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The actor who plays Admiral Yamamoto said this at the end of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

It is still debated to this day whether Yamamoto actually said that or not, but it sure turned out to very true.

Another accurate quote was what Winston Churchill supposedly said to his Cabinet when he received word of the Pearl Harbor attack.

"Gentlemen, we have just won the war."

Seems the whole world knew what we were capable of even if we didn't.

Yamamoto did say "I will run wild for six months. After that I can guarantee nothing". The Japanese calamity at Midway occurred almost six months to the day after Pearl Harbor.

Spyder Garage

Default Fashion Frocks in the war effort

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi BigGuy66,

Re: I'm sure there are more that I don't know about...

I worked for the federal gov't. in contract management for 30 yrs. In almost every contract there is a very small clause that talks about national emergency.

This clause allows the federal gov't. to direct any contractor to produce anything that the gov't. dictates; however, only in a national emergency.

Back when I first started jumping, my reserve parachute had been built by a company called Fashion Frocks.

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry, that is very cool to know about that company. History sure is full of surprises. Thanks for offering that golden nugget.
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)