Thread: Tire

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Has anyone tried the nitto 205/50/15 yet?
    Last edited by Wayne Lamurey; 03-25-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wayne, that 205/50/15 tire size might be a little small for anyone's Spyder, especially when you consider that it is the ONLY tire you have to provide drive &/or contact with the ground up the back end!! Plus, it might pay check with your tire supplier to make sure that it is safe to fit a tire that narrow (205 instead of 225!) on the rim - it may not even be a legal fitting size on the Spyder rear rim here in Aus, it is certainly close to automatic disqualification, but I haven't checked that & would need to do that in order to confirm!!

Those changing from 225 to 215 are usually upping the profile size at the same time as they are dropping the width, but because of the way different manufacturers size their tires, they generally end up running a tire that has very much the same rolling diameter & contact patch - but that's probably not the case if you go that small/narrow!

Regardless, running a tire that much narrower than specification is likely to bring some degredation in traction & wear rates, & therefore also probably introduce lesser braking &/or cornering abilities as well!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Tire size

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Wayne, that 205/50/15 tire size might be a little small for anyone's Spyder, especially when you consider that it is the ONLY tire you have to provide drive &/or contact with the ground up the back end!! Plus, it might pay check with your tire supplier to make sure that it is safe to fit a tire that narrow (205 instead of 225!) on the rim - it may not even be a legal fitting size on the Spyder rear rim here in Aus, it is certainly close to automatic disqualification, but I haven't checked that & would need to do that in order to confirm!!

Those changing from 225 to 215 are usually upping the profile size at the same time as they are dropping the width, but because of the way different manufacturers size their tires, they generally end up running a tire that has very much the same rolling diameter & contact patch - but that's probably not the case if you go that small/narrow!

Regardless, running a tire that much narrower than specification is likely to bring some degredation in traction & wear rates, & therefore also probably introduce lesser braking &/or cornering abilities as well!!
    I’ve read several trends o. Here reguarding tire selection and there have been several that suggest the 205, but as far as brand nitto wasn’t mentioned

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lamurey View Post
    I’ve read several trends o. Here reguarding tire selection and there have been several that suggest the 205, but as far as brand nitto wasn’t mentioned
    Trends?? Or threads??

Anyhow, That's why you'll need to be careful & check!

Not all tire manufacturers use the same 'sizing methodology' when deciding what nominal tire size to stick on the sidewall, so unless someone else has already successfully tried the size/brand/tread pattern tire that you want to run, &/or posted the physical dimensions up to compare, then you just can't be sure that a Nitto 205/50/15 will actually fit safely! It could be too big & rub/touch somewhere; or it could be too small & not stay fitted on the rim &/or bring about those other things I mentioned earlier; or maybe it'll just throw codes &/or dump your Spyder into limp mode because its actually size is just too different from what the Nanny expects or in relation to the fronts despite the nominal size printed on the sidewall being the same size others have used successfully in different brands!?!! The first of each of those amongst us who have used other brands of tires in any different size OR those amongst us who've first used other sizes in any different brand all hadta do the same careful checking, and atm, if you want to try the Nitto in that size then it looks like you might hafta be the 'crash test dummy' for that size Nitto tire!

Most of the other brands of tire successfully used by others in that nominal size have been revealed to be physically pretty close to the actual dimensions of the OE tire (which btw, is 'fairly small' for its stated nominal size) despite the different nominal sizing - so they haven't caused or brought any real issues along with their use, but no-one I'm aware of personally or thru reading the threads posted here has yet tried a Nitto tire in that size.... So who-ever does try the Nitto 205/50 tire first either needs to check carefully or at least realise just what it may be that they are risking!! But that's part & parcel of trying new things or exploring the use of 'other' parts or tires on your machine; we've probably all done it or will do it at some stage with something.... it's the nature of the beast!! Buuut, some of us are just slow learners & do it more often than the rest of the mob & do it a lot; & some of us even accept $$ to test & try out different things (like different tires) so that most others won't have to expose themselves to the associated risks! (but IMHO it's never really enough $$ to cover the risks tho!)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lamurey View Post
    Has anyone tried the nitto 205/50/15 yet?
    I put a 205/60/15 michline defender HT its a 93 rateing w/ utgq of 800AB after 500 miles I really wish I had tryied this tire sooner ita verry responsive, wife ride 2 up most of the time

Happy easter.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i don't like 205 on our rim width & i would not use that size on the

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RIM WIDTH

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i don't like 205 on our rim width & i would not use that size on the
    Well the people at the Tire Rack - who mount multi thousands of tires each year have this size tire Recommended to fit on rims/wheels with a range of 5.5 in. up to 7.5 in......The Spyder rear wheel ( all ) are 7 inches ........ So THEY say it fits and I'm sure their Lawyers are prepared to back them up ....... Mike

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'M not saying it doesn't fit i just say that i don't like it, a little bit of a stretch & the look is all but yes it is safe.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well the people at the Tire Rack - who mount multi thousands of tires each year have this size tire Recommended to fit on rims/wheels with a range of 5.5 in. up to 7.5 in......The Spyder rear wheel ( all ) are 7 inches ........ So THEY say it fits and I'm sure their Lawyers are prepared to back them up ....... Mike
    I have a 2014 RTL, I noticed Saturday that my right front tire is waring uneven. I have the stock Kendra 165/55R15, 17K miles. I believe I read in a thread that you use Michelin Hydro Edge 215/60/R15 on the front of the spyder. I called a local tire dealer and I was told the HydroEdge was discontinued about 3 years ago. Which tire do you recommend for the front? I've read too much negative comments to go back with Kendra. Usually run 18# in front. Any advice would be appreciated.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hydro - Edge Tire

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL, I noticed Saturday that my right front tire is waring uneven. I have the stock Kendra 165/55R15, 17K miles. I believe I read in a thread that you use Michelin Hydro Edge 215/60/R15 on the front of the spyder. I called a local tire dealer and I was told the HydroEdge was discontinued about 3 years ago. Which tire do you recommend for the front? I've read too much negative comments to go back with Kendra. Usually run 18# in front. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Your memory is worse them mine ..... Anything I've said about the Hydro-Edge only concerned the REAR tire ( plus a 215/60-15 CAN'T fit on the front !!!!!! ) ....... Another member ( SPYD3R ) has told folks here to get one if they can find one, but He has said they are OLD stock !!!! ..........I bought my Hydro-edge a few years ago and it was two years old at that time, but my understanding of the Modern tire manufactured today has a WAREHOUSE shelf life of approx. 6 years .............. All that being said I believe of all the currant tires that will fit your Spyder, the Vredstein Quatrac 5 is the best all-around performing tire which can be purchased in these sizes 145/65-15 ....155/60-15 ....or 175/55-15, so depending on whether you have new style or old style fenders - take your pic ...I know they are sold at the Tire Rack, but you could locate a Vredstein dealer that will sell for a lower price......PS I loved my Hydro-edge ( on the rear ) and was sorry to see it dis-continued....... Now Michelin sells a 205/60-15 that may be even better than the Hydro was ......either the New Defender H&T or the Premier A/C ........good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-03-2018 at 12:07 AM.