How do you adjust the cable on the frunk
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    How do you adjust the cable on the frunk
    Oh, god. Don't tell me you misplaced your frunk cable adjustment tool...

Need more information!!!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Cable adjustment

I can't the lid to release. To open the funk.
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Cable adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Oh, god. Don't tell me you misplaced your frunk cable adjustment tool...

Need more information!!!
    What tool?
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What tool?
    I'm kidding. There isn't any tool. What are you trying to adjust the cable for?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Need more information!!!
    Specifying WHAT information is needed probably would be even more helpful !!

Year and model, I think......because I think I heard that there are two different ways that the latch operates; one electrical and one mechanical.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Specifying WHAT information is needed probably would be even more helpful !!

Year and model, I think......because I think I heard that there are two different ways that the latch operates; one electrical and one mechanical.
    Well, that plus why does he think the cable needs 'adjusting'?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the release not working because:
    Is doesn't move the lever far ebough?
    or...
    Is it just stuck?

Some lubrication might help...
    Can you get the lid open to see the latch?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Profile says..... 2015 RTL Chrome...Not seeing any adjustment on the break down. Depending on what you need. Could be the cable has stretched but not likely. If there is any adjustment it would be at the latch or ignition switch. If the cable is streched you could space it with some washers at the pulling knob on the actuator...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up release cable

I added a release cable with some very thin wire rope to both the frunk and the seat. Not hard to do and could save your bacon if the seat or trunk cable failed 2000 miles from home.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I can't the lid to release. To open the funk.

You might try pushing down on the frunk lid as the key is pushed down and turned-------- just a thought.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I added a release cable with some very thin wire rope to both the frunk and the seat. Not hard to do and could save your bacon if the seat or trunk cable failed 2000 miles from home.
    Lew,
    I remember you had posted something about this before, or maybe it was somebody else. Anyway, can you provide more of an explanation, pics or link to the thread(S) that detail this simple but important mod? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRUNK CABLE ISSUES

... And I used to make and sell the re-mote cable release for seat and frunk ( as a Vendor ) ....I don't believe there is any adjustment available in the system.... The cable isn't likely to stretch.... the wire cable is too strong for that......It's very likely the release cable has become de-tached from the base of the IGNITION switch ( Deanna777 can tell you about that )...... If you can't get the frunk open I can tell you how because I've done it .... let me know if that's the main problem ..... It's wordy so I won't explain it unless you ask me to...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    I'm off to go skiing this am. 35th day so far this season. I'll try to get pix and an explination of the cable mod this afternoon.

Lew L

Lew,
    I remember you had posted something about this before, or maybe it was somebody else. Anyway, can you provide more of an explanation, pics or link to the thread(S) that detail this simple but important mod? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

As Lew L said, press down on the frunk lid where the latch is located then press and turn the key. It is possible the frunk gasket has come loose and needs to be reseated.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Cable

you were right spray silicone did the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is the release not working because:
    Is doesn't move the lever far ebough?
    or...
    Is it just stuck?

Some lubrication might help...
    Can you get the lid open to see the latch?
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Lew,
    Well Pete,

I tried to get a decent picture but the part to attach an emergency release cable is buried under the headlight surround. The cable should come out to the riders left. It really isn't that hard to do if you spend a few minutes studying what part moves when the key is depressed and turned. Same with the seat.

Lew

Pix is for the seat release

Last edited by Lew L; 03-27-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added pix.

Spyder Garage

Default Release cable

I did the same but used some super strong fishing line, more flexable than cable. I ran the one from the frunk to the opening where you check your oil (2011 RT) and ran the one from the seat to the glove box.

Spyder Garage

For future info:

There is no adjustment for the cable at the key area.
    There is an adjustment at the latch but it's the entire latch assembly not just the cable.

Look at my Tri-axis handlebar install video and at the end of part 3, I show how to adjust everything.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, This video
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default STUCK FRUNK

Assuming that you can't open the FRUNK, try pressing on the FRUNK over the latch area or just to one side while trying the release. Need the year and model to be more specific with a way to open it as the latches are different besides some being electrically activated and others opened by deft maneuver of the key.

Spyder Garage

Default can you assist how you added release cable for seat/frunk?

Seems my key also wouldn't turn/release, seat or frunk, hoping not cable issue as looks like hard job to pull it all to bits, help appreciated by anyone, currently releasing seat with cable tie to access fuel tank, but front lid hmm took off the -- part in meantime meaning it doesn't shut at all

Spyder Garage

Default Cable adjustment

Hi there...not to beat a dead horse, but I too am looking for a way to adjust the cable. 2015 Spyder RT with mechanical frunk mechanism. I know the cable is working. When it is shut, it is shut. Can't pull it open. When I turn the key, it will pull open but you have to pull kinda hard to pop it loose. The latch appears to be like a latch on a car trunk. When it's closed the v-shaped part clicks down and stays...like on a car trunk. I am assuming that when you turn the key, it's supposed to click out of its closed position...again like a car trunk. Mine doesn't click up into the open position like it should. I have two other spyders...2008 GS-SM5's. I know on those, you can turn the key and hear it "click". Then it's open. Just pull it up. Should be able to do this with one hand. It's really a pain if I have something in my hand...like my helmet or a drink...grocery bag...and I have to set everything down to use 2 hands to open it and in addition have to really pull hard on it to pop it loose. That is why I am thinking cable. Please tell me if I am wrong. You guys all have a frunk. How easy does yours open? They should all be the same. Would appreciate any feedback.

Michael

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Frunk latch

The frunk on my 2014 RTS opens easily. An audible click.

With the frunk lid open------ work the key --- you'll have to manually close the little hook ---- then try the key. Maybe a cleaning and a drop of lube. Maybe the return spring on the latch has come loose???Good time to add the emergency release cable.

Good luck,

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Different models

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljwyo View Post
    Hi there...not to beat a dead horse, but I too am looking for a way to adjust the cable. 2015 Spyder RT with mechanical frunk mechanism. I know the cable is working. When it is shut, it is shut. Can't pull it open. When I turn the key, it will pull open but you have to pull kinda hard to pop it loose. The latch appears to be like a latch on a car trunk. When it's closed the v-shaped part clicks down and stays...like on a car trunk. I am assuming that when you turn the key, it's supposed to click out of its closed position...again like a car trunk. Mine doesn't click up into the open position like it should. I have two other spyders...2008 GS-SM5's. I know on those, you can turn the key and hear it "click". Then it's open. Just pull it up. Should be able to do this with one hand. It's really a pain if I have something in my hand...like my helmet or a drink...grocery bag...and I have to set everything down to use 2 hands to open it and in addition have to really pull hard on it to pop it loose. That is why I am thinking cable. Please tell me if I am wrong. You guys all have a frunk. How easy does yours open? They should all be the same. Would appreciate any feedback.

Michael
    On my 2010 RT, I sometimes had to pry to the frunk open. I'd do this while turning the key.
    On my 2016RTSe, i just have to use the key. There is no electrical way to open it.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779